Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

If I want your opinion; I'll ask for it.....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

If I want your opinion; I'll ask for it.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 12:16 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Yes, we all can convert the frame size from standover height. But if I am looking for a bike to ride then I need to see 21"/54cm frame, preferably in the headline listing. Otherwise, I have to click the ad, and read most of it to see the size of the frame. Now if I am not necessarily looking for a rider, then size is not important.
Whats odd with frame sizing is that seat tubes and top tubes are usually measured in cm/in while stand over is almost exclusively inches.
Old 07-11-13, 01:22 PM
Teon

Bikes: See my signature.....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by banjo_mole
Maybe it's the market, too. Where I live that Dave Scott would be going for much more than $300. Old steel road bikes are desireable here. But in Memphis?

Plus, I love those old Dave Scotts. The ones with the smoked paint are so cool.
Agreed. That's a really good price for a nice condition Dave Scott Ironman in this area.
Old 07-11-13, 01:32 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Whats odd with frame sizing is that seat tubes and top tubes are usually measured in cm/in while stand over is almost exclusively inches.
Most of us still measure our inseam in inches although with metric I sound more impressive... 82.5 if anyone is wondering.

$300.00 is not a bad deal for a ready to ride and tuned up bicycle of that level of quality.
Old 07-11-13, 02:10 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When you post on Craigslist, you get what you pay for. You need to expect to get all kinds of responses. Remember, "sticks and stones".
FYI, I bought the exact same bike on Ebay awhile back for $130. It is a great bike. A friend now has it, after I spent $500 converting it to 9 speed Ultegra with an FSA compact crank.
Old 07-11-13, 02:56 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elguicho
No offense taken. The people you describe are just rude, being rude is a universal thing.
LOL. HA! No offense meant!
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 07-11-13, 04:01 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
I'm very glad I have google voice. I use that for ads and it works out pretty well.
When I google, I can never get much voice other than a constant googling sound. After I rinse and spit, it's much easier.
Old 07-11-13, 04:03 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I think it is this one;

Very nice pink barbie bike for girls with one hand brake. Very gentle used by a little girl. It has 16 inch tires and is great for a 4 or 5 year old little girl.

Email or call anytime 697-4369 Cash and carry

Barbie Bike - $400.00 (in my dreams )

I think I'd have to meet the mom, then make a decision......
Old 07-11-13, 04:19 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Thumpic
Where do these guys get off texting me that my price is too high? If I sell it for that price then it's not too high. If it doesn't sell; it's too high. My pricing is none of your damn business.

Sorry...this last jerk really ticked me off.....
I think I can translate this jerk's real message for you, Thumpic: "Waaaaah! You have a bike I want but I don't have the money forit. Waaaaah. But I really, really want it. Waaaah. If I were younger, I'd threaten to hold my breath until I turn blue because I want it and you won't let me have it at a price that would let me flip it and make some beer money and I already spent my allowance. Waaaaaaaaaaah."

That may not be a direct word-for-word translation, but dollars to donuts I'm pretty darn close.
Old 07-11-13, 05:05 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Aww, flipper problems?

You put your phone number in the ad--you invited idiots to text and call you. Why on earth would you do that?
Old 07-17-13, 04:58 PM
Thumpic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
SOLD!...........thankya.....thankyaverymush........

Old 07-17-13, 05:38 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Well that was fun.
Old 07-18-13, 08:05 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
BFD. What a weird thread.
Old 07-18-13, 01:31 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I think it is this one;

Very nice pink barbie bike for girls with one hand brake. Very gentle used by a little girl. It has 16 inch tires and is great for a 4 or 5 year old little girl.

Email or call anytime 697-4369 Cash and carry

Barbie Bike - $400.00 (in my dreams )

Actually, I think this bike is priced too low as well. It's the perfect size and color for my cross-dressing chimpanzee, Mr. Barbie.
Old 07-18-13, 06:18 PM
DoninIN

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadTire
Sure, I joke around and ask for a "<insert silly reason> discount" and sometimes get a better price, but listening to the people on the other side that have to deal with it all the time, I realize how maddening it can be. What I was referring to, without picking on people from other countries, is the aggressive attitude of almost bullying for a better price, and actually disrupting the rest of us in line that just want to pay for our goods and go home.
What makes it bad form is when someone starts aggressively hassling, or trying to negotiate with someone who clearly does not have the authority to take less than sticker price, or give a discount. However if the person doing the selling has any ability to set the price then game on. My first rule of business is "if they give you money, you have to be nice to them." Or "If you give them money, they have to be nice to you" and by "be nice" I mean, make accommodations and give discounts and whatever else you can score off of your supplier, whether they are selling the company you work for 1 million auto parts, or they are personally selling you some 1974 bicycle frame.
Old 07-18-13, 07:32 PM
ncrnelson

Bikes: 1983 Cannondale ST500, 1987 Cannondale SM400 with SA 3 speed hub, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1982 Schwinn Voyageur SP, 1992 Kona Explosif

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I just had a similar situation to this today, granted this price was far more out of line. Guy selling a 96 Giant Kronos for $695, a bike that was $650 brand new. I was sick of seeing it reposted every week for the last three months. I emailed him that the price was over the original sales price (this is like feeding trolls, never a good idea) and that if he listed it for about $300 he would get some bites. No surprise, he angrily emails me back that I was wrong and that with 17 years of the dollar's inflation and a new set of tires this bike was in fact worth more now than new.

So, note to self: Dump real estate and invest in bikes for long term gains.
Old 07-18-13, 08:32 PM
Thumpic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
No offense intended, but this illustrates my point.......his pricing is his business alone...why do you feel the need to "correct" his pricing?.....maybe I'm different.....I'll point out damage that might get someone hurt; but that's it......
Old 07-18-13, 08:32 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by jethin
Actually, I think this bike is priced too low as well. It's the perfect size and color for my cross-dressing chimpanzee, Mr. Barbie.
Reminds me of the ad in Houston late last year, with a hot pink 2-3 year old Schwinn girls bike. It went through the whole ad, saying "They don't make them like this anymore". "Not cheap junk like all the aluminum bikes out there." And "VINTAGE" no less. I wanted to drive from Lake Charles to Houston just to laugh at them in person.,,,,BD
Old 07-18-13, 08:54 PM
ncrnelson

Bikes: 1983 Cannondale ST500, 1987 Cannondale SM400 with SA 3 speed hub, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1982 Schwinn Voyageur SP, 1992 Kona Explosif

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Thumpic
No offense intended, but this illustrates my point.......his pricing is his business alone...why do you feel the need to "correct" his pricing?.....maybe I'm different.....I'll point out damage that might get someone hurt; but that's it......
None taken. His constant relisting of this same bike as well as a couple others was driving me nuts, not sure what posessed me to contact him today. It seems to me though that you list stuff on Craigslist to sell it, these bikes will never sell for these prices, and bikes for crazy prices are not hard to move in the Minneapolis/ St. Paul area. I just don't know why one wouldn't lower their prices if they actually want to sell something. This guy was clearly operating under the delusion that these bikes don't depreciate.

I won't bother contacting people about prices again, doesn't help anybody.