Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

When to Replace a Helmet?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

When to Replace a Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-23, 11:07 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
If he was out cold, ’
It looked like something right out of the Flintstones. He was snoring, according to my kid (who had to cary him out).
Old 06-23-23, 04:24 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Here is an "ethics" question:

I have the helmet (and bike) of my kid's 18yo friend in the garage. He crashed. I went over the bike fairly thoroughly and paid to have it inspected and the wheel re-trued. His helmet has a big crack in the (replaceable) jaw guard. He was out cold, and spend 6 or 8 hours in the ER, before being discharged. He is in total denial that he was out cold, and we are all fairly sure he will keep riding with the same helmet, rather than replacing it. The helmet itself (as opposed to the jaw guard) appears intact (Giro Switchblade MIPS).

Do we give it back to him as is, or lose it, or cut the straps, or what? He is 18, but his judgement perhaps is lagging in development. I don't want to be too heavy-handed, but I also don't want to see a repeat, or worse. I could go buy him a new one, but I think it goes for $250 to $300, and I would rather he gets a new one via crash replacement (if applicable) or something different (hopefully better).
Can his parents be involved to 'encourage' a different choice and/or fund the replacement? Other than possibly being needed to support crash replacement, that helmet is garbage at this point and I'd say it can be treated as such.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 06-23-23, 04:26 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by retswerb
Can his parents be involved to 'encourage' a different choice and/or fund the replacement? Other than possibly being needed to support crash replacement, that helmet is garbage at this point and I'd say it can be treated as such.
Not reliably.

The mother wouldn't even come to the ER, so my wife had to wait there 8 hours.

I'm probably going to go with the first suggestion.
Old 06-23-23, 05:38 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Wow. Good on you and your family for stepping in.
Old 06-23-23, 06:26 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Here is an "ethics" question:

I have the helmet (and bike) of my kid's 18yo friend in the garage. He crashed. I went over the bike fairly thoroughly and paid to have it inspected and the wheel re-trued. His helmet has a big crack in the (replaceable) jaw guard. He was out cold, and spend 6 or 8 hours in the ER, before being discharged. He is in total denial that he was out cold, and we are all fairly sure he will keep riding with the same helmet, rather than replacing it. The helmet itself (as opposed to the jaw guard) appears intact (Giro Switchblade MIPS).

Do we give it back to him as is, or lose it, or cut the straps, or what? He is 18, but his judgement perhaps is lagging in development. I don't want to be too heavy-handed, but I also don't want to see a repeat, or worse. I could go buy him a new one, but I think it goes for $250 to $300, and I would rather he gets a new one via crash replacement (if applicable) or something different (hopefully better).
Just because you can't see damage doesn't mean it isn't there. "Find" the damage if you have to but do not let him ride with that thing. Helmets are single-use items, and his has been used. That said, good luck talking sense to an 18-year-old male.
Likes For Korina:
Old 06-24-23, 05:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
None of my helmet ever lasted that long. I usually bashed them in every 3 to 5 years so they get replaced fairly often. My head, on the other hand…
Just replace a helmet that I tried to use as a brake. I don’t recommend it.
yikes, timely crash, you ok?
Old 06-24-23, 08:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yikes, timely crash, you ok?
My neck hurt a bit for a week or so…aggravated a neck injury from football 60 years ago…but I’m okay. Caught the end of a branch on a trail that I’ve ridden 100s of times. Drove it straight in to the helmet and came to a dead stop. Never even fell over. Had to sit down for a bit.

I’m never lucky enough to lose consciousness in crashes…even when I bash my head. I hit a curb at about 30mph when I missed a curb cut. Went over the handlebars, did a Greg Louganis layout on my forehead and ended up with my feet going in the direction I was traveling. I remember every detail. I even bashed my head with a fence post driver that has left a dent to this day and I didn’t knock myself out. Oddly enough, the fence posts were for a bicycle helmet/head injury prevention event.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-24-23, 08:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
My neck hurt a bit for a week or so…aggravated a neck injury from football 60 years ago…but I’m okay. Caught the end of a branch on a trail that I’ve ridden 100s of times. Drove it straight in to the helmet and came to a dead stop. Never even fell over. Had to sit down for a bit.
low hanging fruit, eh? dead stop? ouch, yeah neck strain. could have been worse against an immovable? object

had a close call when a low hanging branch took out my helmet cam. was able to continue w/ a bar mount & another camera. if it doesn't trigger any PTSD, at about the :43 mark
Old 06-24-23, 09:46 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
I had that from 1978 to 1993, when it was stolen in Cambridge, UK. I think I had never cleaned the pads or straps in that time period, and was amazed someone would go to the trouble to swipe that festering thing.
Public service???

Originally Posted by Korina
Just because you can't see damage doesn't mean it isn't there. "Find" the damage if you have to but do not let him ride with that thing. Helmets are single-use items, and his has been used. That said, good luck talking sense to an 18-year-old male.
OTOH... if "something" happens to the helmet, is he just going to ride without one? (Since it sounds like he's committed to not spending the money and/or time to replace it?) Not that him using a compromised helmet is preferable, just saying that even if his old one mysteriously goes away, he still might not replace it.
Old 06-24-23, 11:57 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
low hanging fruit, eh? dead stop? ouch, yeah neck strain. could have been worse against an immovable? object
Oh, it was completely immovable. It stopped me dead in my tracks. It was about 2” in diameter and stuck down from a larger limb.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-25-23, 12:21 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
OTOH... if "something" happens to the helmet, is he just going to ride without one? (Since it sounds like he's committed to not spending the money and/or time to replace it?) Not that him using a compromised helmet is preferable, just saying that even if his old one mysteriously goes away, he still might not replace it.
That's why I wished him luck in talking sense to the kid; he'll need it.
Old 06-27-23, 09:01 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
All I know is that I replaced my helmet when I went down a couple years ago. At first, I didn't think it was necessary, but then I looked at the front of the helmet and saw where some of the styrofoam had been scuffed off. I tossed it and got a new one, even though chances are it was perfectly fine to keep wearing.
Old 06-30-23, 05:20 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
Helmets aren't mysterious. They are typically a piece of expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam covered with polycarbonate. EPS is essentially "styrofoam" -- like a styrofoam cup, but because it's thicker, it's more like one of those cheap white styrofoam coolers or a piece of white styrofoam that protects something in a shipping box. I'm sure everyone has broken a piece of that foam before. If the drop or hit wasn't enough to crack or break a piece of foam like that and there's no evidence the foam is cracked or broken, then it is probably just as good as new -- unless it isn't new. That foam degrades over time also, so it should probably be replaced after several years time and maybe sooner if it has endured a lot of wear and tear from frequent use. Some race sanctioning bodies will expire helmets after 2 or 3 years. I feel pretty good about my helmets out to 5 years. After that, the materials become suspect. I can't claim they're ruined, but I don't have a practical way to verify they're not.
Old 07-01-23, 07:50 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Iride01
Regardless, any helmet is better than no helmet. I see people riding bikes with their helmets hanging on their bars. I'm not sure why, but I guess they intend to put them on just before they decide to have an accident.
I've never understood that either. If you're going to own a helmet, why ride with it hanging from your handlebars? Or do they think that they'll only need to put it on when the road looks dangerous? You can go down at any time.
Old 07-01-23, 07:59 AM
Milton Keynes

None of my helmet ever lasted that long. I usually bashed them in every 3 to 5 years so they get replaced fairly often. My head, on the other hand…

Just replace a helmet that I tried to use as a brake. I don’t recommend it.
What helmet? All I see is a mirror mount.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 07-01-23 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-01-23, 08:17 AM
Milton Keynes

Wow, parent of the year right there. I couldn't even imagine not being there for one of my kids if something like that happened to them.
Old 07-01-23, 08:40 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
What helmet? All I see is a mirror mount.
It’s a hell of a helmet mirror, however.

EVT now makes a shorter mount which I’ve changed to on my new helmet.

Old 07-01-23, 08:44 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Wow, parent of the year right there. I couldn't even imagine not being there for one of my kids if something like that happened to them.
There is more to the story that makes it more understandable, but TMI for a public forum.
Old 07-05-23, 08:42 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
I've never understood that either. If you're going to own a helmet, why ride with it hanging from your handlebars? Or do they think that they'll only need to put it on when the road looks dangerous? You can go down at any time.
Probably like me as a kid when I hated it-- helmet is on when you leave, once you're not visible from the house it goes onto the handlebars. Reverse procedure when coming home...
Old 07-13-23, 12:54 PM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but does anyone have recommendations on this? Of course, it depends on what you consider "not a lot of money." And, I'm nowhere near helmet shopping soon, as far as I know, but the day will come again...
I don’t know if you think $100 is a lot of money, but I’m certain that a Giro Agilis MIPS helmet saved my life when I got broadsided by a car making a left turn across traffic who claimed he “didn’t see me” despite bright clothing and a blinking white front light. I slid up the hood and smashed the windshield with my head and left shoulder. I broke the shoulder and the side of my helmet was smashed flat but I only had a mild concussion. If my bare head had hit that hard, I’m certain I wouldn’t be typing this now.
Likes For DirePenguin:
Old 07-13-23, 02:54 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
bike helmets rarely need to be replaced because they primarily get impacted in the frontal or occipital area as a result of low speed/impact falls in the other cases not only will you need a new helmet but most likely a new bike and a lot of rehab ......... most helmets are replaced for aesthetics