Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hybrid rider in SE Arizona with questions

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 01:54 PM
lauriebe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm riding 12 miles a day on my hybrid bike. I'd like to try using aero bars or bar ends due to mostly wrist issues, but also mild elbow and shoulder issues (I turned 60 last month). I've been using my wrist braces when I ride to keep the wrists in alignment, but I'd like to try something else. I feel like the crouched position of the aero bars will help me ride easier on windy days. I do a simulated crouched position, resting my wrist/lower arms on my handlebars (the rigid wrist brace helps with this placement). Am I nuts, or does this sound reasonable to anyone? I'd welcome any advice.
Old 09-21-17, 02:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
It sounds very logical and well thought out. I have multiple bikes, including ones with dropped bars and straight bars. Overall, I'm not as happy with straight bars because the hand/wrist rotation is wrong and I'm far more comfortable riding when my palms face each other.

So, get the bar ends, then feel free to rotate them up or forward to adjust wrist angle and your overall posture. It's your bike and only you can decide how you want to ride it.

BTW - the worst that can happen is that you end up removing the ends and feel you wasted a few bucks. But IMO it's not wasted if it helps you find a better position, or learn what doesn't work.

The above is about the bar end idea. Aero bars are a different story because they reduce steering control. I don't recommend them for anything except riding on closed circuits. In any case, 12 mile rides don't justify the need.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-21-17 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-21-17, 02:20 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Nothing wrong with bar ends.
I even added some stubby ones on a wide bar bike, only to let me stand the bike upside down w/o damaging the bike computer, light, etc.
Aero bars is a so-so thing.
It works well to get out of the wind.
But control is reduced.
And if your bar is already set low, adding aero bars to a regular bike can cramp your breathing.
In the netherlands it's quite common to see Townies with aero bars.
But they have the bars so high that there's still plenty of breathing space even in the aero position.
Might require some shimming creativity to get aero bars to clamp well to a flat bar.
Old 09-21-17, 06:49 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Bar ends have been around for decades but are still useful.
Old 09-21-17, 08:32 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I use bar ends (inboard) and an aero bar on my straight bar MTB-based commuter. In my 40s my hands began getting "crampy" and "achy". Not just biking, but playing softball, and other activities. I found my drop-bar road bike was kinder to my hands, but I still had issues. Changing hand positions frequently helped as has padding the bars with medium foam pipe insulation. The drop-bar bikes naturally offer a few hand positions...so I went about increasing my hand hold options on the MTB.

On the flat-bar MTB I first added bar-ends but slid them "inboard" so they appoximate riding on the hoods of my road bikes. Then I found an aero bar on sale for $20. I put that on and found I also use the elbow pads as hand grips which allow me to sit very upright. And when I stretch out forward on the aero bars there is no pressure on my hands, and I pick up an extra mph or two, especially into a stiff wind.

Not only do the extra positions help with the hands, but they feel good on my back, although I don't have any chronic back issues.

Go for it...it's your bike, and after age 50, you shouldn't care too much what others think.
Attached Images
Old 09-22-17, 07:22 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
When I ride my mtb on a road section, I wish it had drop bars.
Maybe you could rent a road bike?
Old 09-22-17, 09:10 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Just having more hand positions available may help. I've seen aerobars used on hybrids, but not sure if it'll help with shoulder issues. Definitely try them first, but if they don't help enough you may be a candidate for a recumbent - of which there are many 2- and 3-wheeled models. The only recumbent shop I know of in AZ is Ajo bikes in Tuscon.
Old 09-22-17, 09:44 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
I knew there must have been at least one recumbent shop in the Phoenix area because of the number of recumbent bikes and trikes on the local CL. There is - Sun Cyclery SUN Cyclery. The shop has been there for decades.

However if she wanted to try out one on the cheap, there is an older Linear listed for $450. It is similar to my first decent recumbent that I bought back in 2001. It's easy to learn to ride and this one has underseat steering which I much prefer. It's been there a while so the owner may be willing to go even lower. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/b...231245855.html Be aware that Linears come in multiple frame sizes. While you can adjust the seat and crank to fit most anybody if you buy one that is too long it may take too much weight off the front end. Still rideable but makes loss of front traction a bit more likely. There is nothing worth looking at in the trike listings.

If you look at the Tucson listings there is a Catrike Villager for $850. https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/...295655983.html Current price for a new one is $2,550 so while this may seem expensive to a non-recumbent owner, it is really cheap for a high quality trike. If you search on "recumbent" in any of the nearby city listings for CL you will also get an extended listing at the bottom for nearby cities. Might find something closer to home that way.
Old 09-22-17, 10:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ergon GR 3, is a comfortable choice, I often use an open palm 'non grip', resting my hands on grip & bar end .. they are nicely integrated.

Figure 8 bend trekking bars are another favorite, they offer a forward grip which is conducive to a bent over into the headwinds posture..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-22-17 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-22-17, 11:06 AM
lauriebe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx to all who replied. I'm going to try bar ends first to see how that feels. I think I'm going to like it here.