Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BB axle races pitted, sand or not?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-24, 08:14 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts

Doing a BB service on a square taper BB. Cup races look good, but the axel is rough on both ends. Should I lightly sand the pitting with emery paper or leave it? Should I replace the ball bearings regardless? I didn't remove the fixed cup, but may later as I may not be totally happy until I replace with a sealed unit. Just wondering if a light sand will help or if it will just make the axel more out of spec.
Old 02-25-24, 09:20 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Doing a BB service on a square taper BB. Cup races look good, but the axel is rough on both ends. Should I lightly sand the pitting with emery paper or leave it? Should I replace the ball bearings regardless? I didn't remove the fixed cup, but may later as I may not be totally happy until I replace with a sealed unit. Just wondering if a light sand will help or if it will just make the axel more out of spec.
It wouldn't be a "light sand" - you'd have to remove the hardened surface layer to get it concentric again, and then you'd have a soft bearing surface that didn't fit the cups. Just fit a cheap cartridge bearing unit and be done with it.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 02-25-24, 09:58 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by grumpus
It wouldn't be a "light sand" - you'd have to remove the hardened surface layer to get it concentric again, and then you'd have a soft bearing surface that didn't fit the cups. Just fit a cheap cartridge bearing unit and be done with it.
Yes, I realize that. What I am asking is, is there any benefit to doing a light sand? I will eventually replace cup and cone with a sealed unit, but I am going to assemble now until I get the parts and tools necessary to get the fixed cup off. I just wondered if I could do it any good with a light sand. I know what it would take to completely remove any scaring, and it would be too much IMHO.
Old 02-25-24, 10:15 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
If you need to ride it while waiting on tools/parts, just throw it back together.
Where I am tools/parts takes 2-3 days. We don’t know where you are, YMMV.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 02-25-24, 10:21 AM
kcjc

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
I just wondered if I could do it any good with a light sand.
Not going to make any difference and is a complete waste of time
Likes For kcjc:
Old 02-25-24, 10:27 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by Barry2
If you need to ride it while waiting on tools/parts, just throw it back together.
Where I am tools/parts takes 2-3 days. We don’t know where you are, YMMV.

Barry
Well Barry, I'll buy the park fixed cup tool, but I have to learn what to order for the sealed unit. Nearest bike shop is an hour drive one way so I can't just run by and ask them. The axel says 68=W=116. If you can point out the unit, I need perhaps I can get everything together in about a week. If not then I need to post and learn I suppose.
Old 02-25-24, 10:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
You really only need to worry about pitting when the pits are in that very thin shiny line that goes around the race. That's where the ball bearings touch the race. And usually that is when it's time to toss the part for a new one. Change your lube more often if you are pitting. Don't confuse pitting with just minor etching that discolors the race in a blotchy way, but is probably a sign that pitting is about to happen if the lube isn't cleaned out and changed.
Old 02-25-24, 10:53 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Well Barry, I'll buy the park fixed cup tool, but I have to learn what to order for the sealed unit. Nearest bike shop is an hour drive one way so I can't just run by and ask them. The axel says 68=W=116. If you can point out the unit, I need perhaps I can get everything together in about a week. If not then I need to post and learn I suppose.
Sounds like you have the size nailed down.... Now you need to know the threading.
Posting the bike Manufacturer, Model and year will help someone identify it.

Barry
Old 02-25-24, 11:03 AM
RH Clark

Sounds like you have the size nailed down.... Now you need to know the threading.
Posting the bike Manufacturer, Model and year will help someone identify it.

Barry
It's a 1986 Trek 560. USA made Reynolds 531 tubes CR-MO fork. Shimano 600 group. I did verify the date codes.
Old 02-25-24, 11:11 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Apparently it's been asked before

Barry
Old 02-25-24, 11:53 AM
RH Clark

Apparently it's been asked before

Barry
Sorry, I didn't even know the right questions to search. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-25-24, 11:59 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by Iride01
You really only need to worry about pitting when the pits are in that very thin shiny line that goes around the race. That's where the ball bearings touch the race. And usually that is when it's time to toss the part for a new one. Change your lube more often if you are pitting. Don't confuse pitting with just minor etching that discolors the race in a blotchy way, but is probably a sign that pitting is about to happen if the lube isn't cleaned out and changed.
No rust but the axel is definitely pitted. Yes, it needed service sooner. Unfortunately, I just acquired it as a project bike. Only gave $100 for it. It's a good candidate for me to learn on.
Old 02-25-24, 12:35 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Everybody has a smartphone these days. Why haven't you added photos of the pitted spindle races?

And yes, replace the balls with 11 loose 1/4" grade 25 on each side.
I didn't know I needed a photo to ask the question. I know the races look rough on the axel. I'm not on my phone. I do have one. It stays beside my bed most of its life. I did take a picture of the axel for myself, but I would have to get my phone, log on this forum, and see if I could transfer my picture to this forum. I used to post internet pictures back when we loaded everything from photobucket. That's how anti tech I am. I don't like that a phone always with you is taking all your attention. My wife keeps one in her face all day and I hate it. It's like being plugged into the Matrix from the movies. A smart phone sucks all your life and feeds you a false reality. So, yea, I could figure out how to post a picture, but there's no concerted effort on my part to avoid it, I just didn't think it was necessary to go through the effort.
Old 02-25-24, 04:46 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Pitting (otherwise known as “galling”) is not repairable. You can clean, re-grease, and keep riding, but your bottom bracket won’t be as smooth as it should be. You can’t really sand off the galling, you would just make things worse. Bottom bracket axles are usually heat treated, case hardened, or hard chrome plated, in either case, sanding removes the hardened surface of the steel. Square taper bottom brackets aren’t especially expensive, and not that hard to install.
Likes For Sangetsu:
Old 02-25-24, 06:53 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
First step is to determine if the cups are pitted. If not, you could find a donor BB or BB spindle and replace the bearings and ride it for years without a care.

While cartridge BB are an easy fix, cup BB’s have endured for decades. A co-op or even eBay might be worth the effort.

The sanding might be moot, as you are not precision grinding it. If you use a lathe it might be better than trying something by hand, but I’d just put it back together and find a replacement.

John
Old 02-25-24, 09:48 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
I didn't know I needed a photo to ask the question. I know the races look rough on the axel. I'm not on my phone. I do have one. It stays beside my bed most of its life. I did take a picture of the axel for myself, but I would have to get my phone, log on this forum, and see if I could transfer my picture to this forum. I used to post internet pictures back when we loaded everything from photobucket. That's how anti tech I am. I don't like that a phone always with you is taking all your attention. My wife keeps one in her face all day and I hate it. It's like being plugged into the Matrix from the movies. A smart phone sucks all your life and feeds you a false reality. So, yea, I could figure out how to post a picture, but there's no concerted effort on my part to avoid it, I just didn't think it was necessary to go through the effort.
Instead of all this, you could have just posted a photo already.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-26-24, 04:29 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
OP: The pitting you have described is not "galling" as some have mentioned, but "spalling". If you want to get the bike back together right away, you may be able to use it. Usually, spalling happens on part of the rounded portion, but not most of it, and that part will be when that part is facing DOWN, when you are applying pedal force on that side. To use axle for now, clean it well, do not sand, and then mark on the end of the axle with red nail polish or any paint or marker, the orientation of the spalled portion. Grease and reassemble bottom bracket, preferably with new bearing balls. When you put the crank arm back on, orient the spalled area to be facing UP when the crankarm is in the forward-most position, as that is when the axle experiences its greatest load on that side. If you have spalling on both ends of the axle, that will also reverse the spalled portion on the other side. Adjust the bearing tightness before putting the crank arms back on, so you can spin the axle with your fingers; You want no slack, and a bit of preload on the bearings; Tighten bearing cup until spinning the axle feels "notchy", then back off ever so slightly until that goes away; When you spin the axle, you should feel the engagement of all the balls, not quite as easy as with no preload, but not notchy. Replace with a bottom bracket cartridge when you are able.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 02-26-24, 08:59 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Ball bearings are self tending. The rolling balls circulate grease, crush or push to the side dirt, and maintain the ball track the same way trains keep rails polished and rust free.

Other than periodic cleaning and refreshing the lube they neither need nor want your help.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-26-24, 09:15 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Ball bearings are self tending. The rolling balls circulate grease, crush or push to the side dirt, and maintain the ball track the same way trains keep rails polished and rust free.

Other than periodic cleaning and refreshing the lube they neither need nor want your help.
Not only this, but bearings fail very safely and very politely. A bike wheel with no ball bearings at all will continue to roll (poorly) and will not fall apart or off the bike. I've ridden a bike with a destroyed bottom bracket (the bearings crunched audibly and the cranks had obvious play in my hands) for miles to a repair shop.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-27-24, 11:25 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

I mostly agree. However, the ball bearing wheels on my otherwise quality rollaboard luggage, had steel ball bearings with no grease, no dust shields, and grit just tore them up, the wobbling may have contributed to the urethane outer wheel separating from the plastic core. Luggage repair wanted $100+ to replace both wheels, but with same crappy OEM design. And the axle was riveted on. I replaced with same size inline skate wheels, excellent bearings, greased and sealed, and reattached with bolts, which the luggage guy said would come loose, but secured with nuts torqued against each other hard. So far great, if they come loose, I'll use thread adhesive.