Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best ways to cut weight on a Giant Rapid 3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 07:20 PM
CPFITNESS
Banned

Bikes: Giant Rapid 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i apologize if this is clearly in a sticky, tried doing some searching but there is a bit of info overload on this wonderful site.

I'm looking for the best way to reduce weight on my bike, cost is an issue. I ahve a stock giant rapid 3 flatbar bike and my concern about weight isn't so much about speed as it is that I live in a 5th floor walkup in NYC. The bike stock weighed in at 25 lbs. My kryptonite noose chain/lock adds another 7lbs onto this bike. Where does one find the most savings in weight? is it carbon fork, wheels? How much of a difference does a carbon seat post and handlebars make and are flat bars even made in carbon?
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-10, 07:32 PM
mhamm

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the amount of money you'd have to spend to shave off some serious lbs would be a little much.

A new wheelset would save 2-3 lbs, but would cost about $300. Not sure it's worth it on a bike like that.

It's still a great commuter bike though.
Old 03-15-10, 07:35 PM
awesomejack

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uh, leave the lock and chain at the bottom of the stairs?

otherwise 25 lbs isn't too bad. As mentioned, it would take a few hundred bucks to get an real weight savings
Old 03-15-10, 07:39 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Carbon seatposts, stem, and bars are usually very expensive for the amount of weight you save. You are better off getting aluminum as it will save you weight, but not cost you a fortune...

The cheapest way to save weight would be to use latex or butyl tubes. This will save a lot of weight for the price. Changing to smaller tires will also save on weight. After that things begin to get more costly. Changing to a double will save weight, but cost more money (not including installation). Getting a new wheelset isn't cheap, but it can save you a pound or two.

I wouldn't worry too much about weight. If you keep your bike upstairs maybe you should keep your heavy lock downstairs or wherever you commute too.
Old 03-15-10, 07:46 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Losing weight on the body is cheap and hard. Losing weight on the bike is expensive and easy.
Old 03-15-10, 07:46 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Lose 5 or 10 lb.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-15-10, 07:55 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
OP - get stronger carrying your bike upstairs, just as you become stronger on the bike when you ride it.

You won't be able to lose enough weight, even if you spend a thousand dollars, to reduce the weight of your bike enough to make you feel a significant difference lugging it upstairs.
Old 03-15-10, 08:00 PM
CPFITNESS
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
typically when i bring it up I wear the lock around my neck so the weight isn't an issue since i'm no longer lifting that with one arm. I typically lock the bike outside my apt door since my small apt doesn't have much room for brining it in, or if it's wet out I don't want to drip muddy water and track dirt all over the place. doing some research, i see that the armadillos that i put on this bike are definately adding weight, but those are probably a necessity for these nyc streets! I think changing the wheels is a potential next area to go, while I don't want to spend a ton of money, that may be a nice performance booster as well.
Old 03-15-10, 08:05 PM
CPFITNESS
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Lose 5 or 10 lb.
read the post, it's not about losing weight for speed purposes, it's about losing weight for carrying the bike purposes. As to the person who said i can't drop enough weight for it to be noticeable, I disagree. i'm a personal trainer, I know that when you are talking about the weight on the front deltoid, a couple of lbs can make a significant difference. 5lbs would ABSOLUTELY make a difference. don't get me wrong, I'm plenty strong to carry this bike (i'm 6'3 245 lbs)I'm just trying to make it as easy as possible plus sometimes I have to maneuver it funky to get up and around my stairwell
Old 03-15-10, 08:09 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i just built one of those up for the shop and well, there isn't much you can cut off w/o spending a lot of money.

You could get a Carbon fork, but you need a 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 tapered fork. These are harder to come by. Possibly the crankset and wheels
Old 03-15-10, 08:20 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you could lose a quick cheap pound changing out the tubes and tires. after that, it gets ugly. getting a nice aluminum stem, seatpost and bar might save you another lb. there's 2 bills. and a lighter alu wheelset around the 1500gram mark will cost you an additional 300 for an additional lb.
Old 03-15-10, 08:20 PM
goodtimes5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After some time lifting that bike up and down, you'll be buff, and things won't be an issue anymore.