Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Improvised Bike Lock a.k.a. Work with what you have

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-23, 07:19 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 3,820 Times in 1,872 Posts

Visting family and needed to run some errands in town, going into various businesses, post office, etc. Did not have a bike lock to use. Looked around for a piece of chain in the basement and shed and couldn't find a thing. Looked under the stairs and found just what I was looking for.

Will keep the bike secure(ish) and I can always stop and do some trapping if I get hungry

Old 04-27-23, 07:37 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4520 Post(s)
Liked 6,407 Times in 3,686 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
Visting family and needed to run some errands in town, going into various businesses, post office, etc. Did not have a bike lock to use. Looked around for a piece of chain in the basement and shed and couldn't find a thing. Looked under the stairs and found just what I was looking for.

Will keep the bike secure(ish) and I can always stop and do some trapping if I get hungry

I think you forgot to set the trap.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-28-23, 12:11 AM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 163 Posts
As a 1980s junior racer my pseudo lock on the rare occasions I left my bicycle out of sight was both quick releases undone (horizontal rear dropouts and no lawyer tabs), left down tube shift lever back and right lever forward without changing gear, and brake quick releases off. I figured I’d hear an attempt to ride it away and be back to it before they’d got back up off the ground…
Likes For seagrade:
Old 04-28-23, 04:15 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
On my maiden voyage yesterday with the new to me Grand Jubile. I helped a friend with an old amplifier, she gave me a couple of speaker cables and on the way back home I needed to stop at the dollar store. I had forgotten to bring a lock but I had the illusion of one....
Likes For 52telecaster: