Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What has improved in cycling?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What has improved in cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-20, 03:54 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by MilfordJohn
My no. 1 improvement in modern biking is the YouTube how-to video. I can’t tell you how many maintenance conundrums I have solved with a video of how to do it.
No. 2 is SPD pedals... I feel naked if I am not clipped in when I ride.
No. 3, especially for unaccompanied touring, is the Garmin GPS along with downloaded bike routes.
GPS is key for me, If somebody runs you down, it may be the only thing that saves the day when you or your family can prove who was in the wrong.

Lights, cameras front and rear, GPS and helmet 24/7, period.
Old 12-16-20, 07:10 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Broken glass, or lack of broken glass. In the 70's when I started riding, broken glass was everywhere. You could see it twinkling in the sunlite on the tarmac. On club rides "glass" would be shouted out several times on a ride. Then we would all "check" our tires(tubulars of course) with our gloved or sometimes ungloved hand while riding slowly. And occasionally you would hear the pssst of a puncture. And back then it was common to be on a nice set of Clement tires.

Nowdays with plastic containers, the discarded vessels are squashed on the side of the road. Teens dont seem to be driving around aimlessly on friday and saturday nights throwing beer bottles out the window like in days of old. I do enjoy the glass free roadways we have now.
Old 12-16-20, 07:29 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Broken glass, or lack of broken glass. In the 70's when I started riding, broken glass was everywhere. You could see it twinkling in the sunlite on the tarmac. On club rides "glass" would be shouted out several times on a ride. Then we would all "check" our tires(tubulars of course) with our gloved or sometimes ungloved hand while riding slowly. And occasionally you would hear the pssst of a puncture. And back then it was common to be on a nice set of Clement tires.

Nowdays with plastic containers, the discarded vessels are squashed on the side of the road. Teens dont seem to be driving around aimlessly on friday and saturday nights throwing beer bottles out the window like in days of old. I do enjoy the glass free roadways we have now.
Never thought of this but true, you always used to see broken glass all over the roads and side walks.
Old 12-16-20, 07:31 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
I can't remember if this was already mentioned but wider handlebars. I love my vintage steel bikes but when I get on my newer aluminum road bikes, I really appreciate the bigger handlebars. At what point did they transition?
Old 12-16-20, 07:45 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
I’ll second the wider bars.
my old steel road bike, with 46cm Nitto Noodles is nice!
Old 12-16-20, 08:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Never thought of this but true, you always used to see broken glass all over the roads and side walks.
It depends on location. New York State was one of the first to bring back mandatory recycling in the 1980s. I hear some areas still have glass in the streets, but there isn't much in most of New York.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-16-20, 08:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I agree with most things listed here, and there are many!

Here is a pretty good article I came across just today in the 13mph Facebook group. The group is based in Columbus, Ohio but has stuff of interest to many cyclists.

Cycling revolutions: 10 brilliant inventions that changed the bicycle forever

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-16-20, 01:29 PM
deadzone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
The improvements that are most beneficial for sport/recreational riders in my opinion are:
1. Dual pivot brakes
2. clipless pedals
3. 8+ speed cassette hubs and corresponding 130mm dropouts
4. Sealed bearings (eliminating the annual/semi-annual overhauling hassle)

Most overrated improvements?
1. Brifters
Downtube shifters work great, and Shimano even makes (made) them for more modern 9 and 10 speed groups. I ride Brifters on a couple of my bikes and I like them a lot. However, if they didn't exist, I would be fine and enjoy riding just as much. For recreational riders, all else equal, the brifters are not going to give you improved speed or performance compared to DT. Most people just aren't used to DT.
2. Compact cranksets.
If you have 9+ speed cassettes there is plenty of gear range available in the cassettes with standard cranks, and if you really need granny gears, triple cranksets work fine.
3. Disk brakes
Completely unnecessary for most riders/riding conditions and they are butt ugly on a road bike.
4. Electronic shifting
Pure novelty, minimal if any performance benefit. These are popular for the same type of people who wait in line for hours every time a new Iphone comes out. Do they really improve riding enjoyment? I guess if you have arthritis in your hand/fingers and it is too difficult for you to move the STI levers without pain?
5. Bike Computer/GPS/PowerMeter/SmartPhone
Seriously you don't need any of these gadgets on your bike to ride or train, they are just a distraction. i can see carrying a mobile phone for emergency communication, and GPS/smart phone if you are doing serious touring. But for general riding and training around your local area this all completely unnecessary.

Last edited by deadzone; 12-16-20 at 02:25 PM.
Likes For deadzone:
Old 12-16-20, 01:54 PM
britbikes

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Threadless headsets, cartridge bearings, cassette/freehubs, stainless cables, and lined housings - - all make the bike more reliable and easier to maintain.
Old 12-16-20, 02:00 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Just a fun post for a Friday and don't flame me for talking about the difference between C&V bikes and new bikes but wanted to post the things I am thankful for in new bike technology:
  • Soft, padded grip tape - how did we ride back in the day with slippery, shiny non absorbent bar tape?
  • Brifters - gotta admit, they are way more convenient than using down tube shifters.

What are your you thankful for with new bike technology?
i think, i saw this at least once in the responses and it totally sums up what has improved in my opinion:

Everything!
Old 12-16-20, 02:21 PM
deadzone

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by britbikes
Threadless headsets, cartridge bearings, cassette/freehubs, stainless cables, and lined housings - - all make the bike more reliable and easier to maintain.
There's nothing wrong with threaded headsets, as long as they have cartridge bearings vs. loose/sleeve bearings is the issue.
Old 12-16-20, 08:58 PM
britbikes

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
threadless headsets are better

Originally Posted by deadzone
There's nothing wrong with threaded headsets, as long as they have cartridge bearings vs. loose/sleeve bearings is the issue.
It is true that removable cartridge bearings obviate the removal from and replacement into your delicate lightweight bicycle frame of press-fit headset parts when the bearing surfaces become brinnelled. That feature had nothing to due with my judgement about threaded vs. threadless headsets.

Threadless headsets offer an overall lighter and stronger combination of headset, fork and stem; the bearing preload is much easier to adjust, and the configuration of the stem-steerer tube joint is much less prone to freeziung up due to galvanic corrosion between the stem and fork.

Nonelheless, six of my nine classic bikes have threaded headsets, because they have forks too good to throw away.