Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear hub identification (Shimano UG)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 10:36 AM
Positron400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts

Hi,

i bought a, what appears to me, 36 Hole UG rear hub, to change the freewheel on my new bike to a freehbub type.
Litte did I know, that now i have to find a UG cassette, as i was under the impression, that i could just use a 7-sp HG cassette. (I recon there are ways to fit a HG casette to a UG body, please do let me know)
What's even more weird to me is, that the O.L.D. is 124 mm. The height of the freehub body seems to be ~32.4 mm.
Can i fit a 7sp HG casette on there (with modifications)? Should I/can i switch out the freehub body? What are my options?

OLD

markings on the hub

bearing seal?
Old 04-21-23, 10:44 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 878 Posts
You can file the narrow notch on 6 of the HG cogs, but you'll still need a Uni Glide threaded end cog to hold everything together.
Old 04-21-23, 10:55 AM
Positron400

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
You can file the narrow notch on 6 of the HG cogs, but you'll still need a Uni Glide threaded end cog to hold everything together.
that seems feasible, but will the 6 sprockets fit on the 32 mm hub body with enough space for the 7th?
Old 04-21-23, 11:42 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by Positron400
that seems feasible, but will the 6 sprockets fit on the 32 mm hub body with enough space for the 7th?
If it doesn't, you have a 6 speed.
Personally, I'd sell the UG to somebody that wants to be "period correct" and look for a HG hub. Why fight it?
Old 04-21-23, 11:50 AM
Positron400

If it doesn't, you have a 6 speed.
Personally, I'd sell the UG to somebody that wants to be "period correct" and look for a HG hub. Why fight it?
Not so much "fighting it", just looking for options. I have a hard time finding 126 mm OLD hubs with casettes
Old 04-21-23, 11:53 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Not so much "fighting it", just looking for options. I have a hard time finding 126 mm OLD hubs with casettes
And you think using an older technology is going to make life easier?
You made a mistake. Don't compound it.
It's pointless to try justifying it.
Old 04-21-23, 12:26 PM
Positron400

And you think using an older technology is going to make life easier?
You made a mistake. Don't compound it.
It's pointless to try justifying it.
It's definitely easer than using a freewheel.
But thanks for sharing your opinion.
Maybe someone else wants to chime in.
Old 04-21-23, 12:43 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2156 Post(s)
Liked 3,411 Times in 1,207 Posts
Yes, you can use HG cogs for all but the first on a 6 speed, pretty sure you need a second threaded UG cog for a seven speed. All younhave to do is file/Dremel one flange to make them fit.

However.

I’m in agreement with Bill on this one and would shop around- maybe post a WTB in the for sale section- for a 126mm HG compatible rear hub. Don’t complicate your life unless you really have to.
Old 04-21-23, 09:26 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Hi,

Can i fit a 7sp HG cassette on there (with modifications)? Should I/can i switch out the freehub body? What are my options?

?
You don't have many options. The only realistic option is to modify a Hyperglide cassette to fit, but you'll still need a Uniglide small cog to hold it on. I'm pretty sure a 7-speed Hyperglide cassette will fit lengthwise since 7-speed uses thinner spacers than 6-speed.

Here's the bad news: that's an early Uniglide hub, where the cassette body is pressed onto the hub and held in place by friction. Later hubs, which used threads or a hollow bolt to hold the cassette body on the hub, have a distinctive bulge on the hub body by the right flange. There's no cassette body that interchanges with this one and the mounting spud has a tendency to wear, leading to a ruined hub.
(See School me on this hub and freewheel - Bike Forums for pictures of a ruined Uniglide hub.)

Unless you're doing a concours restoration and need to use the exactly correct hub for your bike, I'd throw this back. For your setup you need to find a 7-speed Hyperglide hub from the late '80's or early '90's. They are out there, and Shimano was making really good products even at the lower price points. A 7-speed 105 or RM40 hub would be perfect.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 04-21-23, 10:43 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

It's definitely easer than using a freewheel.
But thanks for sharing your opinion.
Maybe someone else wants to chime in.
Exactly HOW is it easier? Show me the way.....
Apparently you've already forgotten why you started this thread.
Old 04-22-23, 01:35 AM
Positron400

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
You don't have many options. The only realistic option is to modify a Hyperglide cassette to fit, but you'll still need a Uniglide small cog to hold it on. I'm pretty sure a 7-speed Hyperglide cassette will fit lengthwise since 7-speed uses thinner spacers than 6-speed.

Here's the bad news: that's an early Uniglide hub, where the cassette body is pressed onto the hub and held in place by friction. Later hubs, which used threads or a hollow bolt to hold the cassette body on the hub, have a distinctive bulge on the hub body by the right flange. There's no cassette body that interchanges with this one and the mounting spud has a tendency to wear, leading to a ruined hub.
(See School me on this hub and freewheel - Bike Forums for pictures of a ruined Uniglide hub.)

Unless you're doing a concours restoration and need to use the exactly correct hub for your bike, I'd throw this back. For your setup you need to find a 7-speed Hyperglide hub from the late '80's or early '90's. They are out there, and Shimano was making really good products even at the lower price points. A 7-speed 105 or RM40 hub would be perfect.
Ah thanks - yea.. I guess there is no point in using this then, despite it is in, what looks to me, almost NOS condition.