Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

CO2 vs. ElbowGrease

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

CO2 vs. ElbowGrease

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 10:35 AM
brian_rides

Bikes: 84' Fuji Touring Series IV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CO2 vs. ElbowGrease

Hey, would love to have a pump on the road with me just in case and wondering what your thoughts on the Genuine Innovations UltraflatePlus are...
How long will one cartridge last?
Is there a better CO2 pump?
Are hand pumps superior in any way?
Old 06-07-13, 10:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by brian_rides
Yeah - they're never empty.
Old 06-07-13, 10:40 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22643 Post(s)
Liked 8,958 Times in 4,175 Posts
I take both C02 and a small hand pump.

I use the C02 if on a group ride (with fellow riders waiting) or in a hurry...and use the hand pump if not in a rush or backup in case C02 is fail.

Save money and get a box of 12g C02 cartridges at WalMart for under $1 each.
Old 06-07-13, 10:44 AM
ShartRate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm lucky enough to not have flatted yet, but I carry a pump with me. My reasoning is that if I botch a patch that I don't have to waste a cartridge to find out. A pump seems more reliable to me but they are also more work.

On the other hand, I know plenty of people who carry the CO2 cartridges and they get around just fine. IMO bring whatever inflation device you want but use puncture resistant tires.
Old 06-07-13, 10:50 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by ShartRate
I'm lucky enough to not have flatted yet, but I carry a pump with me. My reasoning is that if I botch a patch that I don't have to waste a cartridge to find out. A pump seems more reliable to me but they are also more work.

On the other hand, I know plenty of people who carry the CO2 cartridges and they get around just fine. IMO bring whatever inflation device you want but use puncture resistant tires.
Bring 2 good tubes, and patch later while watching tv.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-07-13, 10:54 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Bring 2 good tubes, and patch later while watching tv.
yup
Old 06-07-13, 10:55 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I like the threaded kind of inflator because the head is tiny, and I always have 2-3 with me. I also have a lezyne road drive pump on the frame, which is tiny and probably a pain to use. I agree with the two good tubes / patch later approach but I also have patches in the bag.

I had 3 flats one day and went through both spare tubes and all my CO2 and still had to call the sag wagon, so I'd rather not HAVE to do that.
Old 06-07-13, 10:57 AM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I like the threaded kind of inflator because the head is tiny, and I always have 2-3 with me. I also have a lezyne road drive pump on the frame, which is tiny and probably a pain to use. I agree with the two good tubes / patch later approach but I also have patches in the bag.

I had 3 flats one day and went through both spare tubes and all my CO2 and still had to call the sag wagon, so I'd rather not HAVE to do that.
obvious statistical outlier is obvious.

Old 06-07-13, 11:02 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i keep meaning to get a full sized pump like the road morph, but haven't gotten around to it. I bet I won't get one until I get a flat and get stranded. That'll teach me to procrastinate.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 06-07-13, 11:08 AM
brian_rides

Bikes: 84' Fuji Touring Series IV

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I like about the UltraFlate is that it takes non-threaded cartridges, which I can get from my work for next-to (actually) nothing. I just dont like the idea of having to carry a bunch of them around... How much can I get from one cartridge in your experience? Flat to full?
Old 06-07-13, 11:12 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've never used one in anger on the road, but I think each cartridge is one flat.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 06-07-13, 11:27 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I carry two floor pumps and a spare frame. Also, I always wear gloves and knee pads in case I crash.
Old 06-07-13, 11:40 AM
vfrjo

Bikes: '98 Schwinn Super Sport; '13 Jamis Icon Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Word...SF, which mini-bag do you keep the frame in? Velcro straps over the shoulders backpack style?

I carry a Topeak mini dual or something like that. (got it with a gift card from ll bean) Also, a tube, and a patch kit in case of a really bad day. The CO2 seems fine, most of the guys i ride with use them. I have seen one fellow forget to open the valve on his fresh new tube. oops. "can i borrow your pump?"
About the pump being more work, eh, I've already been working pretty hard most of the time on the bike, so a little more isn't going to kill me.
If the other people I'm riding with can't wait the extra <minute it takes to pump up a tire (with a mini-pump), that's fine, I'll catch up with them later, but I don't think this would be an issue most of the time, for around here at least.

Last edited by vfrjo; 06-07-13 at 11:43 AM. Reason: oh yeah
Old 06-07-13, 11:45 AM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I take both C02 and a small hand pump.

I use the C02 if on a group ride (with fellow riders waiting) or in a hurry...and use the hand pump if not in a rush or backup in case C02 is fail.

Save money and get a box of 12g C02 cartridges at WalMart for under $1 each.
I wouldn't do this. Those are meant for BB guns so there's oil in them. It will deteriorate the tubes.

Hop on amazon or ebay and pick up a box of 30 food grade 16g threaded/nonthreaded cartridges for ~$1 a piece.
Old 06-07-13, 11:50 AM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by brian_rides
Hey, would love to have a pump on the road with me just in case and wondering what your thoughts on the Genuine Innovations UltraflatePlus are...
How long will one cartridge last?
Is there a better CO2 pump?
- Thoughts (and experience): Do not get those dual CO2/pump combos. If you want to use CO2, get a proper CO2 head, like a Genuine Innovations Air Chuck Elite. If you want to use a pump, get a proper pump.

- A 16g cartridge lasts for one use. One flat = 1 cartridge. CO2 is meant to be used for convenience, not for weight-savings (or wallet savings) or multiple uses. The irony (if you are a road cyclist that counts grams) is that bringing 2 CO2 is a lot heavier than many good pumps).

- Yes, get something simple like an Air Chuck Elite. It's a lot smaller and functional.

- Yes, hand pumps do not run out. In fact, I have a Quicker Pro (https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2006...om-sweden.html) that is something like 4-5 years old and it pumps up a tire to 80-100 psi in about 1 minute. True, it's 1 minute longer than it takes to fill a tire with CO2 but the pump can be used again and again. I also travel with a Topeak Road Morph G and that is almost as good as a floor pump. Portable and easy to pump tires with albeit a bit bulky.

Other thoughts:

- If you don't care about looks, your BEST bet is probably a full-on frame pump. They pump loads of air and can be used for a very long time. And then carry a CO2 or two and a couple tire patches in case you have a really bad ride.

- I only carry CO2 if I am riding a long ways from home (like > 30 miles away) as a backup to the pump.
Old 06-07-13, 11:52 AM
Specialized2k10
Pedal Warrior

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez with SRAM Force gruppo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Co2 will deflate a lot faster. It's just enough to get you back home. You still need to use a regular pump once you get a hold of one.
Old 06-07-13, 12:07 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by Nagrom_
I wouldn't do this. Those are meant for BB guns so there's oil in them. It will deteriorate the tubes.
You sure about this?? They are indeed meant for air guns but I believe they only have C02 in them.
Old 06-07-13, 12:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

All jokes aside, I carry 3 CO2 cartridges. I flatted once, couldn't find a shard of glass in my tire, put a new tube in, and watched it flat. I was pretty careless, there was no sharp thing in the tire, it was a hole. The tube inflated, bulged through the hole, and popped. I only had one spare tube, so I walked the bike a few miles in stiff shoes to the nearest bike shop. I'm lucky it happened where it did, it was a long ride through the country, I was near a town, and they had a good bike shop.

If I'd been paying more attention, I'd have used a dollar to "boot" the tire. But it wasn't not having a pump that got me, it was (1) being oblivious and (2) not having two spare tubes.

I carry more CO2 than I think I could possibly need, because I might run into another cyclist with a flat while I'm riding around town.
Old 06-07-13, 12:38 PM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by datlas
You sure about this?? They are indeed meant for air guns but I believe they only have C02 in them.
i believe you are correct. every co2 air gun i've ever owned had separate oil ports to keep it lubed, there is no tangible reason, imho, that you can't use the regular cartridges
Old 06-07-13, 01:11 PM
kps88

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe i carry a 12g instead of the 16g (I carry two). Is one 12g enough to fill a 25cm road tire to 115-120 psi??
Old 06-07-13, 01:32 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
CO2 cartridges are expensive, wasteful, and prone to operator error that leaves you stranded. A decent pump lasts for years, delivers free air, and if it is a really decent pump, doesn't take all that much effort. Anyway, what's the problem with effort? You're a cyclist, right?
Old 06-07-13, 01:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by kps88
I believe i carry a 12g instead of the 16g (I carry two). Is one 12g enough to fill a 25cm road tire to 115-120 psi??
No. It will fill it to 80 which is plenty to get you home.
Old 06-07-13, 01:43 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
CO2 cartridges are expensive, wasteful, and prone to operator error that leaves you stranded. A decent pump lasts for years, delivers free air, and if it is a really decent pump, doesn't take all that much effort. Anyway, what's the problem with effort? You're a cyclist, right?
+1
Old 06-07-13, 01:57 PM
Seattle Forrest

Most cyclists can leg press a double decker bus, but can only bench press a napkin.
Old 06-07-13, 01:57 PM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
While I can't argue with most of what you said, CO2 cartridges aren't really expensive, at least if you don't buy them from your LBS. The 12 gram version are used in air guns. A little Googling shows that you can get 40 12gram cartridges for less than $20. I bought a 20 pack of CO2 cartridges six or seven years ago and I still haven't used them all.

I always carry three or four CO2 cartridges in my seat pack in case of multiple flats. Frame pumps provide unlimited air, but you still have limited patches / tubes. There's always a limiting factor to how many times the Flat Tire Gods can strike before you're out-of-luck.

To each their own... This is one of the many religious debates in cycling as to "which is better".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.