Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Crosscheck or Long Haul Trucker?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Crosscheck or Long Haul Trucker?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 08:10 AM
iforgotmename

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an LHT and love the bike. I ride it loaded and unloaded and the ride is great either way. The bike is a 56cm 26in and just completed a 325 mile supported charity ride from Cleveland to Cincinnati in four days without an issue. I also loaded toured on it, grocery shop, commute and just ride on. It is stable and comfortable and I can hit 20 mph with 2.0 tires on it so it's not slow. Altough sometimes I am slow my average cruising speed is 14-16. Both are great bikes I just am partial to the LHT
Old 08-24-11, 08:17 AM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some pics of mine...shameless I was a bit overpacked on my first self supported tour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SSL22916resized.jpg (85.5 KB, 91 views)
resized lht.jpg (42.9 KB, 84 views)
ely.jpg (71.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 08-24-11, 12:37 PM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was going to mention the Salsa Casseroll, but somebody beat me to it. Probably a midway point between the Pacer and the LHT - definitely a road bike, not a Cross, but can run racks and such like the CC. Comes with a front rack that's begging for a quality bag on it.
Old 08-25-11, 01:34 AM
bigwies
Mega Clyde

Bikes: 2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2007 Trek 7100

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I just went through this same decision process and decided to go with the LHT. I am still waiting (impatiently) for it to arrive at my LBS. I am 6'1" 330 lb, so i figured i qualify as fully loaded all by myself. I really liked the fact that the LHT has 36 spoke wheels vs. 32 spoke for the CC and I really wanted to stay with a triple. My current Trek 7100 hybrid has served me well, but I wanted something that would be more comfortable on rides over 30 miles. I did a 1/2 century earlier this year and the last 10 miles were quite uncomfortable on my current steed. The switch from aluminum to steel is going to make a big difference for me.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with either choice, so do your test rides and pick the one the feels best to you. I did a test ride of an LHT and just knew I had to have one.

Good luck
Old 08-25-11, 07:35 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to wait, Surly has many new offerings in the works! https://www.surlybikes.com/blog/

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 08-26-11, 08:57 AM
gunner65

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LHT with discs.....Nice
Old 08-26-11, 08:31 PM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do try other manufacturers touring and cyclocross bikes as well, if you have access to them. It may seem, from reading these forums, as if Surly is the only company in the world making these types of bikes, but there are others on the market.
Old 08-27-11, 07:07 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rhodabike
Do try other manufacturers touring and cyclocross bikes as well, if you have access to them. It may seem, from reading these forums, as if Surly is the only company in the world making these types of bikes, but there are others on the market.
Such as?
Old 08-27-11, 07:38 PM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Such as?
Rocky Mountain Sherpa (love mine), Opus Legato, Marin Four Corners, Norco CCX (cyclocross) series, Jamis Aurora, Kona Sutra, Trek 520, Masi Speciale Randoneur...
Old 08-27-11, 07:51 PM
rawhite1969
Back in the Saddle

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Vaya, Giant Mtn Bike, Draft SE SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I considered the same two bikes and ended up with a Torker Interurban. Is set up similar to the CC, and has eyelets for racks and fenders.

Love the bike!
Old 08-28-11, 10:20 PM
redvespablur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had cross check. Fell in love with the idea but in the end I found it rather uncomfortable and heavy. Nice long wheelbase made it feel pretty plush but it was was not very comfortable for me. I got a custom Zona tubed sport bike with gargantuan Alpha Q z-pro fork and have been much happier. My surly was a 62 in the British racing green - great looking bike. Bonus on the surly is pretty good resale if it is not to your liking.
Old 01-21-12, 08:06 PM
Archinutt
Enthusiast

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Giant OCR-1, and a 1996 Raleigh M60 MTB

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have some movement on this issue. I have decided on the cross check. Test rode and all that. Decided that stock works surprisingly well with one hitch. I really want the STI action, but it is over what I have saved. What is the cheapest, but reliable way to pick up what I need (next research is what I need). I know a lot of people do eBay. Is there a good source find out exactly what I need?

Regardless I just need to go and order the bike. It is -5 degrees this week, and I am no icy rider so I have time.

I also need to select a rack and bags (14 mile commute with work clothes and lunch etc).
Old 01-21-12, 08:48 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
That sums it up nicely. Note that the LHT has a triple while the CC does not. That may be important to you.
Crosscheck can have double or triple.. Build it how you want it.. The Crosscheck is a nice blend between a road bike and touring bike.. It gives you lots of options and is a smooth ride.. I know a few people that also use them for long touring with no issues.
Old 01-21-12, 09:06 PM
Archinutt
Enthusiast

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Both shops kind of talked me out of the triple. I am going to bite and see if the shifting is that much better
Old 01-21-12, 09:45 PM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Cross Check will be a little sportier than the LHT. If you're always carrying something (besides yourself), the LHT would be a good choice, otherwise it's overkill for most folks. Depending on your budget, you may want to check out the Salsa Vaya.
Old 01-22-12, 08:16 AM
rawhite1969
Back in the Saddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Archinutt
I have some movement on this issue. I have decided on the cross check. Test rode and all that. Decided that stock works surprisingly well with one hitch. I really want the STI action, but it is over what I have saved. What is the cheapest, but reliable way to pick up what I need (next research is what I need). I know a lot of people do eBay. Is there a good source find out exactly what I need?

Regardless I just need to go and order the bike. It is -5 degrees this week, and I am no icy rider so I have time.

I also need to select a rack and bags (14 mile commute with work clothes and lunch etc).
I'd ask the LBS to give you some recommendations on STI options for you to have later. you may like the CC shifting, but if you decide to change, then you know what you need in order to do that.
Old 01-22-12, 10:57 AM
Archinutt
Enthusiast

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After doing more research I may go back to the position of trying the bar ends for a season. People seem to love them. Plus I have my giant with 105 if I want the STI for the weekend quicker trips.
Old 02-06-12, 06:03 PM
Archinutt
Enthusiast

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ordering the bike this week. Finally have the money.

I know this is an exhausted topic but I will have 700 wheels but need advice on size.
Old 02-07-12, 06:10 AM
rawhite1969
Back in the Saddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ordering the bike this week. Finally have the money.

I know this is an exhausted topic but I will have 700 wheels but need advice on size.
Wheel size or tire size? If is tires, I'm a big fan of having a couple of sizes in the garage. A long ride on great roads can allow for a skinnier tire, whereas commuting on crappy city streets means fatter and softer, IMO. Having a set of CX tires around isn't bad either if your bike will fit them.
Old 02-07-12, 02:15 PM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I run 700x32s on both my commuter and my long-distance road bike.

Tire width doesn't really impact speed, as long as they're properly inflated. What DOES impact speed is overall wheel+tire weight - and that only impacts how fast you speed up, slow down, and hill climbs. And the difference is so minor that it's not worth talking about unless you're racing, or riding in a paceline, where the extra 1-2 seconds to climb a hill might be the difference between staying with the group or getting dropped.

If I ever get to the point where I need faster tires, I'll get lighter rims and rubber. But I don't think I'll ever go thinner than 32s or 28s. I might go with 35s for a plusher ride.
Old 02-08-12, 03:38 PM
Archinutt
Enthusiast

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I almost went with the 32's, but decided on the 28's. I figure if I am switching from a massive aluminum frame and 23's that I always max inflate to a nice steel frame that I might just be ok. I think my next set of tires might be the bigger ones just to see.

I order the bike tomorrow, I am excited. All of my racks and paniers etc should show up tomorrow.
Old 02-22-12, 09:55 PM
Archinutt
Enthusiast

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, this saga has successfully ended, with a bit of a twist. I went in to order the crosscheck and the guys at the shop basically said, " you know how you wanted STI shifters, a triple, and you needed to buy pedals? Well we were thinking about it and the bianchi volpe has all of that with better steel and it only cost $50 more than the stock built up crosscheck, what you are giving up are lesser hubs but still very good at this price". They had my size and I test rode it. I loved it but had to think about it because I had already made my mind up. I basically had to decide what the brand image and the robins egg blue was worth to me. I was surprised the pull this had. Anyway, I did research on the bike and a few days later went with the volpe. I put all my stuff on it and got the pro fitting that came with the bike. What a difference in ride quality even with 700 28's. I get the love of steel frames. I like the color, but I was excited about the blue frame.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. You guys are great I will post a picture.
Old 02-22-12, 10:04 PM
Archinutt
Enthusiast

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The classic garage door picture
Attached Images
Volpe.jpg (97.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 02-23-12, 06:07 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Archinutt, My older daughter has had a Volpe for years and despite hard use it's proven to be an excellent bike. Congrats.

Brad
Old 02-23-12, 09:47 AM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Well, this saga has successfully ended, with a bit of a twist. I went in to order the crosscheck and the guys at the shop basically said, " you know how you wanted STI shifters, a triple, and you needed to buy pedals? Well we were thinking about it and the bianchi volpe has all of that with better steel and it only cost $50 more than the stock built up crosscheck, what you are giving up are lesser hubs but still very good at this price". They had my size and I test rode it. I loved it but had to think about it because I had already made my mind up.

It's funny, but I did exactly the same thing a couple years back. I lurked on the Surly and Specialized pages for weeks and agonized over the decision between CC, LHT, or TriCross. Went to the local Specialized dealer to ride an Allez and TriCross and he made me a deal I couldn't refuse on a Bianchi Imola. It was the previous years' model and he had several he needed to move. Significant discount plus a free swap to Shimano pedals.

I love the Bianchi. It's been a great ride. But I still lurk on the Surly page.

Very similar to yours, here's mine:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.