Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone here who is 5'10.5 and rides a 60cm?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone here who is 5'10.5 and rides a 60cm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-15, 04:59 PM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'10 and ride a 54 and a 52. I consider anything with longer than a 55cm effective-top-tube to be way too big for me.
Old 09-02-15, 05:19 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
And a 60cm frame likely means a very short stem in the 50 range
Old 09-02-15, 05:27 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
And a 60cm frame likely means a very short stem in the 50 range
I wonder how that would handle.
Old 09-02-15, 05:44 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
In this era of compact frames, the whole notion of frame "size" in cm is practically irrelevant. Sorry if you think I am irreverent.
Old 09-02-15, 06:18 PM
MZilliox

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
have we beat this one to death yet? i actually learned a few things, hopefully the OP did as well.
Old 09-02-15, 06:59 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
In this era of compact frames, the whole notion of frame "size" in cm is practically irrelevant. Sorry if you think I am irreverent.
Well it is and it isn't. When you consider that every frame size in cm corresponds to a fairly narrow range of top tube and head tube lengths, the nominal size does take on some meaning. True, not because of the length of the seat tube that the nominal size generally corresponds to, but instead because of the top tube and head tube lengths that the nominal size normally correspond to .

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-02-15, 07:11 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bananabacon
Figured that 60cm was to big for me from the first post. Didn't like the condicending delivery as it seems routine for me...

Also there wasn't enough explanation as to why 60cm was to big for me other then "dude are you stupid! I'm way smarter then you"

The grammar is the fault of a bad cell phone. Really bad cell phone. I feel that id be compensating when I say that most if not all my English teachers passed me with A's for being an amazing writer. But the grammar part is consistent unfortunately.

If you want to make a 20 question terminology test for me to speak in universal bike language go ahead ;-)

Oh and yes. I sometimes would enjoy explanations as to why something's are bad choices. Even if the answer is way over my head. Which I believe only 31% of the posters could do.
Don't blame an innocent cell phone.
Old 09-02-15, 10:27 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,127 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by MZilliox
have we beat this one to death yet? i actually learned a few things, hopefully the OP did as well.
I'm not to optimistic about that.
Old 09-02-15, 11:24 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ya know, with old school geometry measured C-T, 60cm is not at all unreasonable for a 5'10" rider with long legs. Especially on a "sport" geometry model with a short TT.
Old 09-03-15, 05:07 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by halfspeed
Ya know, with old school geometry measured C-T, 60cm is not at all unreasonable for a 5'10" rider with long legs. Especially on a "sport" geometry model with a short TT.
With a short top tube, yes that would work. Otherwise, a shorter seat tube bike in order to get the shorter top tube is the better solution.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-03-15, 05:29 AM
TK LP

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
I'm 6'4" and ride a 60. I don't see any conceivable way that bike wouldn't be too big for you
I'm 6'-4", and ride 66cm frames, from a GURU fit. Everyone is different.
Old 09-03-15, 03:08 PM
bananabacon

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...e-you-buy.html

I took a bit of time and wrote a pretty lengthy post on a simple method of choosing the proper bike size.

It also explains how to fit it once you have it.
Much appreciated. There are many others I'd like to thank as well. The information I got from this was awesome. I just had to hack threw the jungle with a machete in hand to get it. I'm still scratching my head as to why so many riders here got so defensive. its ironic when you look up the definition of troll.
Old 09-03-15, 05:49 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Wicked tired of negative responses. It reminds me of a bike shop keep that I respected at first. Took his **** because I was learning new things. But after his son sold me a wrong sized helmet because he couldn't take a second to fit it. I had enough. Contacted the brother shop and transferred my store credit and dealt with new people. He sold me a helmet that was not fit for me.. A ****ing helmet!; you know the thing that protects you from life or death.!!

The point is. No matter how right you might be. I'm going to ignore this for now. Tired of negative responses.
I'm still scratching my head as to why so many riders here got so defensive. its ironic when you look up the definition of troll.
Hmmm. The above quote is your response after two posts. I wonder why?
Old 09-03-15, 05:52 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
welcome to the internet. everyone here is a dick.
Old 09-03-15, 05:56 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
With a short top tube, yes that would work. Otherwise, a shorter seat tube bike in order to get the shorter top tube is the better solution.
That's generally how geometry used to work. Top tubes didn't lengthen nearly as much as seat tubes so you'd have a 62cm C-T with a 57-58cm TT.
Old 09-03-15, 05:56 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Much appreciated. There are many others I'd like to thank as well. The information I got from this was awesome. I just had to hack threw the jungle with a machete in hand to get it. I'm still scratching my head as to why so many riders here got so defensive. its ironic when you look up the definition of troll.
Through.
Old 09-03-15, 05:57 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...e-you-buy.html

I took a bit of time and wrote a pretty lengthy post on a simple method of choosing the proper bike size.

It also explains how to fit it once you have it.
I stopped reading after the recommendation of the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator.
Old 09-03-15, 06:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
welcome to the internet. everyone here is an expert.
fixed
Old 09-03-15, 06:54 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
I stopped reading after the recommendation of the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator.
Your choice.

It's based on simple geometry and if you measure accurately, it is a great tool.

I have a friend who owns my local lbs who has a pro fitter on staff. I was fitted by the shop fitter and the calculator was spot on. I've helped about ten other riders tweak their bikes based on it's recommendations and no complaints...
Old 09-03-15, 07:05 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Your choice.

It's based on simple geometry and if you measure accurately, it is a great tool.

I have a friend who owns my local lbs who has a pro fitter on staff. I was fitted by the shop fitter and the calculator was spot on. I've helped about ten other riders tweak their bikes based on it's recommendations and no complaints...
It worked reasonably well when seat tube length was a decent proxy for front end height. That's not true any more. You can use CC as a start, but the margin of error is a whole lot bigger than all those precise measurements would imply.
Old 09-03-15, 08:05 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Originally Posted by hokie cycler
Through.
Don't be so critical. Maybe that was caused by a bad cell phone. It never was poor grammar
Old 09-03-15, 08:06 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Don't be so critical. Maybe that was caused by a bad cell phone. It never was poor grammar
Without a doubt.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-03-15, 11:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I'm 5'10"... or maybe it is (5'7¼ + e)

I think my bike is a 60. Someone in one of the forums commented that it looked like a "French Fit".

I have no idea if it is the "perfect fit" or not. I'll ride anything that I can get the seat adjusted to the right height. But, I've been riding the old Colnago since I was 16.... many moons ago. Nope, haven't been castrated yet. The standover is tight, but not uncomfortable. And, once I'm up on the seat, I could care less where the top tube is at. I don't get much bar drop, but still use the drops on occasion (that is what they're there for).

I do have a fairly tall torso... which also means that I have relatively short legs.
Old 09-04-15, 05:03 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm 5'10"... or maybe it is (5'7¼ + e)

I think my bike is a 60. Someone in one of the forums commented that it looked like a "French Fit".

I have no idea if it is the "perfect fit" or not. I'll ride anything that I can get the seat adjusted to the right height. But, I've been riding the old Colnago since I was 16.... many moons ago. Nope, haven't been castrated yet. The standover is tight, but not uncomfortable. And, once I'm up on the seat, I could care less where the top tube is at. I don't get much bar drop, but still use the drops on occasion (that is what they're there for).

I do have a fairly tall torso... which also means that I have relatively short legs.
What you ride, because it is what you have had since you were a teen and didn't know any better is one thing. What you should buy given a full selection is quite another. What sense does it make to buy a brand new bike in the wrong size just because you could kinda-sorta make it work when the right size is equally available? Nada!

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-04-15, 07:43 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP...I'd suggest reading quite a bit more about fit until you really have your head wrapped around it or you'll end up just wasting quite a bit of money. Don't worry so much about headstack spacers and such, the bottom line is unless you're quite lucky or flexible no production frame is perfect for everyone.

Spacers, stem length, setback, all of that is about getting your contact points where they belong...your contact points is what's missing from your puzzle. You need that info so that you can see whether or not a frame will accommodate how best to seat you on your machine. Knowing what effective top tube length works for you will really narrow things down but, things like head tube angle do vary the reach. You don't want to end up on a frame which marginally fits you where you end up having to play with all sorts of components in order to get the reach right. Lastly, seat height and setback is critical...think of it as akin to motor mounting and how the engine is coupled to the drivetrain, as much as it's about comfort it is also about your ability to most efficiently transmit your power to the bike under all scenarios.

So, hold onto your cash, don't be in such a rush, find out what shop really knows fitting in your area, and don't settle until you're absolutely sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.