Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone here who is 5'10.5 and rides a 60cm?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone here who is 5'10.5 and rides a 60cm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 09:15 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
What you ride, because it is what you have had since you were a teen and didn't know any better is one thing. What you should buy given a full selection is quite another. What sense does it make to buy a brand new bike in the wrong size just because you could kinda-sorta make it work when the right size is equally available? Nada!
It's often more about what your body becomes used to/acclimates to, than what some book says is "proper". Those of us who grew-up on ill-sized bikes (Who even knew that bikes came in sizes?!) are lucky, as we learned to adapt and be flexible*. [*= More in a mental sense, although the literal meaning is appropriate too]

I'd much rather be like CliffordK, and be able to be happy with a range of sizes, than to be some fuss-budget who thinks he needs a custom frame, because everything has to be just so, down to the millimeter.
Old 09-04-15, 12:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
What you ride, because it is what you have had since you were a teen and didn't know any better is one thing. What you should buy given a full selection is quite another. What sense does it make to buy a brand new bike in the wrong size just because you could kinda-sorta make it work when the right size is equally available? Nada!
Originally Posted by Stucky
It's often more about what your body becomes used to/acclimates to, than what some book says is "proper". Those of us who grew-up on ill-sized bikes (Who even knew that bikes came in sizes?!) are lucky, as we learned to adapt and be flexible*. [*= More in a mental sense, although the literal meaning is appropriate too]

I'd much rather be like CliffordK, and be able to be happy with a range of sizes, than to be some fuss-budget who thinks he needs a custom frame, because everything has to be just so, down to the millimeter.
Well, I'll admit, after 30 years mostly on one bike. I built up a "new" bike with a little more handlebar drop last winter. It did take some time to get used to, at least for longer rides. Perhaps the back is getting old

Once you get on the bike, you have basically 3 contact points. Your pedals, your seat, and the handlebars (plus different positions on the bars).

How you arrive at those contact points is pretty much irrelevant (although you may get different flex characteristics depending on how close bearing are and length of seatposts and stems).

If the seat tube angle was the same, then moving the top tube up or down wouldn't affect the fit. However, the larger frames often have slightly different angles than the small ones. But, some of that can be altered with the saddle adjustment and post setback.

I sit on the top tube (5'10, 60cm) at traffic lights, and find it comfortable to do so.

I will say that I admit that I get some pants rub when pedalling standing with the 60cm frame. One gets used to the frame being there, but perhaps there is a slight power loss. Less pants rub with a smaller frame.
Old 09-04-15, 01:05 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm the exact opposite of you in that regard @CliffordK - I'm 5'10" also, but I prefer smaller bikes- I consider 54 to be my size- but I like to think that I can ride anything from a 52 to a 58. And it's always fun to experiment with bikes of different sizes. You never really know until you try....and I mean, long enough for your body to adapt- not just some 20 mile test-ride.
Old 09-04-15, 08:39 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I'm the exact opposite of you in that regard @CliffordK - I'm 5'10" also, but I prefer smaller bikes- I consider 54 to be my size- but I like to think that I can ride anything from a 52 to a 58. And it's always fun to experiment with bikes of different sizes. You never really know until you try....and I mean, long enough for your body to adapt- not just some 20 mile test-ride.
Ooh, sounds like a blast and a half. Is this the twilight zone?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-04-15, 08:45 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Well, I'll admit, after 30 years mostly on one bike. I built up a "new" bike with a little more handlebar drop last winter. It did take some time to get used to, at least for longer rides. Perhaps the back is getting old

Once you get on the bike, you have basically 3 contact points. Your pedals, your seat, and the handlebars (plus different positions on the bars).

How you arrive at those contact points is pretty much irrelevant (although you may get different flex characteristics depending on how close bearing are and length of seatposts and stems).

If the seat tube angle was the same, then moving the top tube up or down wouldn't affect the fit. However, the larger frames often have slightly different angles than the small ones. But, some of that can be altered with the saddle adjustment and post setback.

I sit on the top tube (5'10, 60cm) at traffic lights, and find it comfortable to do so.

I will say that I admit that I get some pants rub when pedalling standing with the 60cm frame. One gets used to the frame being there, but perhaps there is a slight power loss. Less pants rub with a smaller frame.
I've heard of some cockamamie justifications for bizarre behaviors, but riding the wrong size bike for any reason at all is simply beyond any understanding. But don't let me dissuade you. Carry on.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-04-15, 09:25 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've heard of some cockamamie justifications for bizarre behaviors, but riding the wrong size bike for any reason at all is simply beyond any understanding. But don't let me dissuade you. Carry on.
How do you know if it's "the wrong size" unless you've tried it and found it not to work? I'm very comfortable on a 54- but what would be so terrible about buyiong a used 58 for say $300 on CL and experimenting with it? I might find, that after a month of riding, that I indeed hate it; and then I could flip it; or I might find that a change of fity and position is actually refreshing. I'd hate to think that I went through life having not at least tried riding anything but a 54.
Old 09-05-15, 05:05 AM
rpenmanparker 

[QUOTE=Stucky;18139632]How do you know if it's "the wrong size" unless you've tried it and found it not to work? I'm very comfortable on a 54- but what would be so terrible about buyiong a used 58 for say $300 on CL and experimenting with it? I might find, that after a month of riding, that I indeed hate it; and then I could flip it; or I might find that a change of fity and position is actually refreshing. I'd hate to think that I went through life having not at least tried riding anything but a 54.[/QUOTE]
That would be horrible, wouldn't it?

Do you apply this very sensible philosophy to clothing too? I mean do you buy pants and shoes, etc. a couple of sizes too large and too small just so you can say you tried them out? Are they easy to "flip" when you find out that you are still the same size you have always been?

Perhaps you have never heard the joke about the guy who goes in to buy a suit, but the store is out of his size...and the next sizes both up and down, too. So the salesman puts him in a suit that is two sizes too big for him. When he complains about the sleeves being too long, the salesman explains that he has to bend his elbows to get the right fit. When he shows the salesman the shoulders are too wide, he is told to hunch his shoulders to take up the slack. Same with bending his knees to get the pants legs right and bending over at the waist to keep the pants from falling down.

So he pays for the suit and is walking down the street when two old ladies see him coming toward them, hobbling and swaying back and forth.

One says to the other, "Oh Penelope, what a shame, look at that poor old crippled man."

"Yes, Hiledgarde," says Penelope, "but look how fine his suit fits."

So that is what your approach to bike fit reminds me of.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-05-15, 11:10 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Do you apply this very sensible philosophy to clothing too? I mean do you buy pants and shoes, etc. a couple of sizes too large and too small just so you can say you tried them out? Are they easy to "flip" when you find out that you are still the same size you have always been?

Perhaps you have never heard the joke about the guy who goes in to buy a suit, but the store is out of his size...and the next sizes both up and down, too. So the salesman puts him in a suit that is two sizes too big for him. When he complains about the sleeves being too long, the salesman explains that he has to bend his elbows to get the right fit. When he shows the salesman the shoulders are too wide, he is told to hunch his shoulders to take up the slack. Same with bending his knees to get the pants legs right and bending over at the waist to keep the pants from falling down.

So he pays for the suit and is walking down the street when two old ladies see him coming toward them, hobbling and swaying back and forth.

One says to the other, "Oh Penelope, what a shame, look at that poor old crippled man."

"Yes, Hiledgarde," says Penelope, "but look how fine his suit fits."

LOL! Ah, but bicycle fit can be very subjective. There are plenty of other guys just on this forum, who are the same body size as myself, and yet ride 56's or 58's- and I think one or two who even ride a 52 or 53. And even @CliffordK with his 60cm! That's quite a range, in't it? But I guess those sizes work for what those riders are trying to accomplish- to give them the position they want; the comfort they want, etc.

It would be terrible to have gone through life riding just one size, and then maybe when you're 65 to hop on a bike that is a different size, and to say "Ya know? This feels good! Wow! Why hadn't i tried this sooner?!". All I'm saying, is that with something as subjective as bike sizing; and something which is so dependent upon personal preference and other variables, what is so bad about at least experimenting with the unknown?

I doubt very much that I'll ever stray from a 54- as I hate being too stretched-out (I've even ridden 54's which felt too big for me); and anything smaller would likely be too small- but the thing is, how do I know unless I try? Especially considering all of the different styles and geometries of all the bikes out there. On a level top-tube C&V bike, I could probably go bigger and be O-K- maybe I'd like that; maybe not- but I'm willing to try. At the very least, I'd learn WHY it doesn't work for me; on the other hand, I might discover something amazing; or, it just might seem nice to have a change, as long as it works.

If you're going to go out and buy an expensive new bike, by all means, make sure it's the perfect size that you can live with for the next 15 years- but since there are plenty of used bikes in the world that can be had cheaply, why not look at their existence as an opportunity to experiment and try different things? The results might surprise you; or they might confirm that your current size is perfection.

I'd bet that most riders do go through an experimentation period before settling on "their size". The fact that so many guys who are the same body size ride so many different sized bikes, would bear that out.

You know your shoe size, but I'll bet you've tried a half size up and down on occasion......

Last edited by Stucky; 09-05-15 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-05-15, 11:35 AM
fstshrk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
5-11 and on 56cm frames.

I don't think you can make a 60cm frame work.
Old 09-05-15, 12:18 PM
Monkey D.Luffy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm the same height, and my idea about sizing is the same. I always preferred a 54, and a 52 is fine too as I like to be on the smaller size. However I can also ride 56 and 58 but with a smaller drop.
Old 09-05-15, 08:31 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
[QUOTE=rpenmanparker;18139964]
The problem with your analogy is that a suit has very little adjustability to fit different sizes of people (a belt) while a bike can be adjusted quite a bit. I can easily fit a 52-56cm frame with nothing more than a stem swap and some saddle adjustments. I could probably go a bit further in each direction after swapping the handlebars to my preferred size. Those extreme sizes might look odd but they'd fit very similarly to my ideal 53-54cm frame size in the end.
Old 09-06-15, 04:55 AM
rpenmanparker 

[QUOTE=joejack951;18141494]

The problem with your analogy is that a suit has very little adjustability to fit different sizes of people (a belt) while a bike can be adjusted quite a bit. I can easily fit a 52-56cm frame with nothing more than a stem swap and some saddle adjustments. I could probably go a bit further in each direction after swapping the handlebars to my preferred size. Those extreme sizes might look odd but they'd fit very similarly to my ideal 53-54cm frame size in the end.
It wasn't an analogy. It was a joke.

Look, you have the smarts, experience and information to pick a bike that fits perfectly accordng to your own concept of what that is. (Which is the final test of correct fit.). You can choose to ride whatever you like. OP doesn't have all that working for him. We are not talking about what someone can hop onto and get away with if they are fleeing a volcanic eruption. We are talking about best fit for a lifetime of riding. You can ride whatever you want. But don't tell a noob who doesn't know any better that it doesn't matter. It isn't right.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-06-15, 04:59 AM
puddinlegs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL! Ah, but bicycle fit can be very subjective.

I'd bet that most riders do go through an experimentation period before settling on "their size". The fact that so many guys who are the same body size ride so many different sized bikes, would bear that out.

You know your shoe size, but I'll bet you've tried a half size up and down on occasion......
IMHO, and having fit bikes way back when, sure, you see a lot of variation on the road, but most of it is just poor fit. Why? Could have been 'a deal' on a size too small or large. Many if not most riders simply don't have enough core strength and flexibility to ride in a position that optimizes aero/power and comfort, nor are they inclined to make a concerted effort to work at anything beyond weight loss. Again, IMHO, the most important measurement is effective TT length. This effects optimizing one's position on the bike more than about anything else. Correct saddle width for comfort, sure, everyone tries to sort that out, but overlook length to move and change positions while riding. Lots of focus on bar width and stem length which is great, but not much attention to bar reach or drop to extend and optimize ones accessible range of motion/position on the bike. Mileage and experience tell us as individuals what works, but it does take work. Get the right. Frame, then work on the details.

I'm sure we've all had at least one poorly sized frame. Fortunately mine was years ago as a kid and thankfully my neighbor, an experienced cyclist and former national team member in his home country who was teaching me to ride, took me and my new too big bike right back to the shop and made them exchange it. In this case, it was a 59 c-t for a smaller 56 c-t with a 56.5 tt. I still ride a 56.5 tt. (Interestingly enough, even on today's fit calculators, 56.5 is smack in the middle of optimal for my measurements.) IMHO, there's little need to 'experiment' with frame sizes from 54-60 within a single riding discipline; in this case, performance oriented recreational road riding. Time and $$$ are better spent working with a fitter/club coach/experienced and well regarded friend or mentor to make the adjustments (including riding technique) over time to work into a better, more effective and efficient riding position on a properly sized frame. Buying and selling and buying different sized frames beyond one's optimum sizing is a waste of time and resources. Changing sizing abruptly causes injuries.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 09-06-15 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-06-15, 05:02 AM
rpenmanparker 

LOL! Ah, but bicycle fit can be very subjective. There are plenty of other guys just on this forum, who are the same body size as myself, and yet ride 56's or 58's- and I think one or two who even ride a 52 or 53. And even @CliffordK with his 60cm! That's quite a range, in't it? But I guess those sizes work for what those riders are trying to accomplish- to give them the position they want; the comfort they want, etc.

It would be terrible to have gone through life riding just one size, and then maybe when you're 65 to hop on a bike that is a different size, and to say "Ya know? This feels good! Wow! Why hadn't i tried this sooner?!". All I'm saying, is that with something as subjective as bike sizing; and something which is so dependent upon personal preference and other variables, what is so bad about at least experimenting with the unknown?

I doubt very much that I'll ever stray from a 54- as I hate being too stretched-out (I've even ridden 54's which felt too big for me); and anything smaller would likely be too small- but the thing is, how do I know unless I try? Especially considering all of the different styles and geometries of all the bikes out there. On a level top-tube C&V bike, I could probably go bigger and be O-K- maybe I'd like that; maybe not- but I'm willing to try. At the very least, I'd learn WHY it doesn't work for me; on the other hand, I might discover something amazing; or, it just might seem nice to have a change, as long as it works.

If you're going to go out and buy an expensive new bike, by all means, make sure it's the perfect size that you can live with for the next 15 years- but since there are plenty of used bikes in the world that can be had cheaply, why not look at their existence as an opportunity to experiment and try different things? The results might surprise you; or they might confirm that your current size is perfection.

You just changed the subject again. We were talking about buying and riding different size bikes for the satisfaction of doing different things. Also the ability to ride lots of different sizes without much imact on the riding experience. And the bizarre notion of buying and selling different size bikes just so you can say you have. Now you are talking about test riding different sizes before you buy. Who would argue against that? Make up your mind what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-06-15, 07:04 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
I'm 6'5 and ride a 60cm Caad10, the fit is spot on so I'd have to think the bike is way to big for someone 7in shorter?
Old 09-06-15, 08:09 AM
mawashi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this useless thread done yet... yawn...
Old 09-06-15, 08:59 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You just changed the subject again. We were talking about buying and riding different size bikes for the satisfaction of doing different things. Also the ability to ride lots of different sizes without much imact on the riding experience. And the bizarre notion of buying and selling different size bikes just so you can say you have. Now you are talking about test riding different sizes before you buy. Who would argue against that? Make up your mind what you are talking about.
Nay! That is what I was talking aboput from the breginning- remember post 106?:

How do you know if it's "the wrong size" unless you've tried it and found it not to work? I'm very comfortable on a 54- but what would be so terrible about buyiong a used 58 for say $300 on CL and experimenting with it? I might find, that after a month of riding, that I indeed hate it; and then I could flip it; or I might find that a change of fity and position is actually refreshing. I'd hate to think that I went through life having not at least tried riding anything but a 54.
Old 09-06-15, 09:49 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

Actually, I sometimes do. It depends on what I want the clothes to feel like. Often I will wear a bit larger shirt and jeans if I'm carrying and don't want to "print." Kinda depends on the effect I'm looking for. Again, kind of like my 55 Guru and my 58 Masi.
Old 09-06-15, 10:47 AM
rpenmanparker 

Nay! That is what I was talking aboput from the breginning- remember post 106?:
That's not test riding before buying. That is test riding after buying. Also the size you get on obay or CL could have little relationship to the same nominal size in a different brand you finally buy as a keeper. By all means knock yourself out and have your fun. But my point is you may enjoy "fooling around" with different size bikes, but it is no kind of plan on which to base advice for a noob looking to buy their right size.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-06-15, 11:21 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That's not test riding before buying. That is test riding after buying. Also the size you get on obay or CL could have little relationship to the same nominal size in a different brand you finally buy as a keeper. By all means knock yourself out and have your fun. But my point is you may enjoy "fooling around" with different size bikes, but it is no kind of plan on which to base advice for a noob looking to buy their right size.
That is what I said- you can't tell squat from a test-ride; you have to live with a bike for a while and give your body a chance to acclimate. Again, you are completely ignoring the fact that many cyclists who are of the same bodily dimensions, don't all just ride the same size bike- but sizing varies WIDELY, as we have seen- Even the good fit calculators (like the one at Competitive Cyclist) often give one a range of about 6cm's of different sizes, depending on the type of fit one prefers. It's not as if it's some exact science, where only bikes of an exact size will work for any one rider. Even in the TDF, you notice some guys ride very small frames relative to their size, while others ride large ones, or ones that are in the middle? And how do you think they arrived at those sizes? Because some bike fitter told them they'd like a bike that is two sizes smaller than the norm for their size? No...because at some point, they put some time in on different sized bikes.

And this is not even taking into account the wide variations in the actual dimensions of bikes of even the same size from different manufacturers! Gimme a 54 Lemond with their long top tubes, and I guarantee you, even though it's "my size" I'd feel too stretched out. Gimme a traditional frame with a short top tube and put on a shorter stem, and I guarantee you I could be perfectly happy with a 58.

I can't understand why you think it so horrible to try out different bikes, and to to see how they feel and how your body adapts.... Or even to have bikes of different sizes, so as to be able to have a change from time to time (You watch, some time in the future, some prominent cyclist will say just that, and it will become a trend- to have bikes of different sizes to switch-off to...)

IIRC from other posts, you are some kind of engineer- so I can see how this might be anathema to your thinking- since you were trained to work with precision and exacting tolerances......but bodies are quiote different than machines.
Old 11-03-23, 04:38 PM
IpIp Biker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
For me as long you can still straddle the bike.. it fits..

I’m 5’-10 1/2” and for me.. advantage for having a 33 1/2” inseam.. I’m able to clear top tubes up to 60cm frame size..that’s why my bike collection range from a size 53cm to a 59cm
Old 11-04-23, 04:13 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Did you specifically search for threads about being 5’10.5 and riding 60cm frames so you could tell people about it and this was the only one? Cos I don’t reckon the OP is still in a quandary about this decision after 8 years
Likes For choddo:
Old 11-04-23, 04:32 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by IpIp Biker

I’m 5’-10 1/2” and for me.. advantage for having a 33 1/2” inseam.. I’m able to clear top tubes up to 60cm frame size..that’s why my bike collection range from a size 53cm to a 59cm
It’s your choice, but the idea that you should be riding the largest size you can straddle went out with the 1970’s I believe. I suspect you are more comfortable on your 53-54 cm bike(s).

But thanks for sharing. Nice looking bikes.
Old 11-04-23, 05:24 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
I'm 5'10", 34" inseam. I used to ride/race in a 56cm (Ibis Ti) or 54cm (Merlin) with 120mm stem, back in the 90's.

I've been riding a 58cm (Litespeed Ultimate) with 100mm stem since 2004.
Still my favorite, short chainstays, sharp handling, good snap response.

Now I go back & forth between 58 (Tuscany) & 59cm (Vortex), depending on my flexibility & distance of specific ride.
Larger frame allows me to be more comfortable at slower speed, no sprinting for the finish line,
more stable, less twitchy handling, allow better "hands-free" to take off the windbreaker while moving.

For carbon frames, I ride a 58cm.

TT frames also 58cm.

As I get older, I prefer longer wheelbase, longer top tube,
straight or slight upward stem/handlebar position,
shallower drops in the handlebar.
It's all about your personal preference.
Old 11-05-23, 12:11 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
I was 6'1", but at 76 apparently I'm now only 5'10". I've always been most comfortable on a 63cm bike with a short (57.5cm) top tube. That hasn't changed, not sure why. But the short bikes people ride now always amaze me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.