Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinarello build (dhgate)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chinarello build (dhgate)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 01:37 PM
myllertime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Interesting thread .... eventually.

We all know what knock-offs are—I would imagine we all know about fake Rolexes,. fake Louis Vuitton luggage,. and the very broad and lucrative faux-designer handbag industry ... simply because these things are mentioned in the various media (from news to “news” to sit-coms) so frequently... and for those few who knew nothing of intellectual property rights, hopefully, now you do.

So ... bicycles.

I wouldn’t go the “fake” route for personal reasons, and while I am arrogant enough to think i am always right and everyone should see things my way ... I am generous enough to let others make their own choices (so I can scorn them later. )

I like reading reports about folks buying fake bikes, because it is Information. I can recall when people crapped all over everyone buying Workswell ... now they are accepted as a legitimate lower-cost option. I understand that the knock-offs may be more hit-or-miss in terms of quality control ... but as more people report in about their builds and their rides, we can get Real-World data about how these things perform.

Yeah, I read the article about the knock-off frame with the voids and all ... but I am cynical enough to think that that too, could have been rigged. if I wanted to do what was essentially a scare-story to advertise my brand, I would deliberately buy the cheapest, worst, least reputable frame I could find ... I would even buy six or eight and only report on the worst one. Is that what actually happened? I have no clue ... but that article was PR, advertising, not just a warning to protect riders.

What I got from this thread is that at least a couple folks bought Chinarello Dog-piles and think they are good enough bikes for their (non-racing) purposes ... and that is real data. I also learned that while QC might not be first-rate, warranty service was. That is important.

I would like to hear more about people who ride these frames, and hopefully from people with a lot of miles on them.

To me it makes sense that if these frames are still on the market, not a lot of people must have died riding them, because if they were Really dangerous, the bike community would share that news (even more widely than it shares the apparently baseless hysteria it shares now.)

I figure what we have here are sort of the bike version of fake Gucci handbags ... as long as all the owner does is carry make-up and a wallet, it works fine. Maybe these frames wouldn’t hold up through many seasons of crit racing (or maybe they would) but in any case, they are good enough for most riders.

Come on ... the mis-assembled crap sold at Wal-Mart has got to be more dangerous than most knock-offs, and nobody panics when parents by (literally) the millions buy them for their kids (I don’t like children either, so we are all good with that.)

Look, if people want to debate the morality of buying knock-offs ... there are a lot of issues there, but I am not seeing where Pinarello is about to declare bankruptcy. We don’t really need to debate that.

Equally, we don’t really need to debate the personal taste issues ... trust me, I could write pages about the self-satisfied, anal-retentive, OCD riders who seriously believe that the labels have to face a certain way on their wheels ... and everybody else’s. Some folks want to wear the high-end labels ... to me, if it is on a real product or a knock-off ... not a good reason to make the purchase, but that is just me. You can do whatever, and live your own life however. if it works for you and doesn’t hurt anyone else much .... Ride what you like and paint it how it pleases you.

Back to bikes again ... let’s listen to what these people say. Let’s get real-world data from actual experiments, and form Valid opinions. How about that for a shocking departure from the norm?

Great post, I was a little out there earlier but i decided to pull my posts until I have done a better and longer review of my bike. I will continue to ride and continue to update my thoughts on the bike. Will keep posted. I haven't ridden much lately but feel free to follow me on strava and ask questions about the bike as I ride it. Here is my strava profile strava.com/athletes/1864802
Old 04-06-16, 04:38 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
The plural of anecdote is not data.
How many anecdotes does it take to make data?

There are boards on other forums, devoted to Chinese frames, which have been in existence for many years now, and which collectively contain thousands of such anecdotes of people using various frames in the real world- which, IMO, is far superior to some "researcher" acquiring a few frames and subjecting them to various lab tests which are designed to "simulate real world conditions"- but of course, never really do; nor can they tell anything about how the product fares over time in various environments. Real data is that which is collected from the real world, not that which is acquired from a limited number of experiments conducted under artificial conditions.

Remember all of that "scientific data" of the last 40 years which all unanimously agreed that eggs, butter and salt were akin to arsenic? LOL!
Old 04-06-16, 05:01 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
The plural of anecdote is not data.
Actually, a very good post ... but not really relevant.

"data" really just means "information." [da·tum [ˈdādəm, ˈdadəm] NOUN------ a piece of information. (Oxford Dictionaries)

So an anecdote (entertaining story, personal story (I didn't reference this one---you can if you need to)) can contain data. Not every anecdote is full of misinformation, badly interpreted information, confusion ... it depends on the Quality of the information.

If a person says "I rode my Chinarello Dogpile for 10K miles last year" ... either he is lying or it is data. If six more say the same thing ... the data are that at least seven Chinarellos were sufficiently well built to cover that distance in that amount of time. Unless you buy a Chinarello and ride it regularly for a year, you have no scale by which to judge the veracity of those "anecdotes."

The "data" in the online article was in no way more trustworthy---the people who wrote the article have a vested interest. On the other hand, it is not necessarily less trustworthy---unless you are buying a dozen random knock-off frames and cutting them all open, you are Deciding who to trust based on your own biases and predilections.

We are led to believe that "anecdotes" are just people talking, and those people might be totally mis- or uninformed, or might draw completely logically unsupportable conclusions. Actually, even scientists in laboratories poring over supposedly "scientific" data can do that. Ask Tycho Brahe.

Fact isd, a fact is whatever two or more concerned parties decide is a fact---and sometimes, even in the face of contradictory evidence. On the other hand, the factual status of that "evidence" ....

So yes, if a number of satisfied Chinarello customers post here concerning their actual riding history and experience with the bikes, we will have "Data."

I notice, nobody questioned that the bike came with a cracked bolt and a mis-threaded BB shell ... because those anecdotal plot points fit with the prejudices and predilections of the audience. But ... should someone say that his Chinarello has provided hours of safe and enjoyable cycling ... suddenly the guy is not a valid source of "data."

Okay. So tell me, did the bike show you a valid birth certificate?
Old 04-07-16, 06:47 AM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have no experience in amateur bicycle racing. DO they inspect bikes before races? Would a fake frame pass inspection?
Old 04-07-16, 10:33 AM
espi-JG
I see you over there

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
OP, the worst part is that most unbranded choices would have come with a better warranty, sported a better reputation, and been an honest representation of what they are. If you really weren't trying to fool folks, you could have accomplished all your goals with a Hong-fu, Deng-fu or Workswell frame. Taken the challenge and learned how to build a bike without the obvious lie.
As I said earlier, I wanted decals and paint. I think monochrome bikes are fugly.

Originally Posted by garysol1
LoL..... Wow.... For not giving a crap you sure seem to give a crap. You may want to reread my reply before you go calling me a hater. I dont believe I said anything negative about your bike. Ride it, love it and enjoy it but i will call a spade a spade. There are hundreds of chinese open mold frames out there but you chose the one with PINARELLO boldly stickered on the downtube and there is only one reason to do that and that is to make people think that you are riding a "fancier" bike then you are. You sir do give a crap what people think.
I don't know who myllertime is but this is my bike and my build. I literally tell EVERYONE that tells me "nice bike" that it's chinese. People are usually blown away by the paint quality and build finish honestly. I wanted a cf painted bike with decals that inspires me to ride when I look at it...that's what I got.

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The difference, IMO, between unbranded and knock-off frames is not just quality control. That would suggest that both makers were trying to build a top quality frame, but the unbranded frame just got more rigorous QC and QA. I think the intent of the two makers is different, not just the QC and QA. Workswell is trying to build a good frame. Chinarello is just trying to make a fake and the quality of the product is of no interest. Only the appearance matters. Once again, IMO.
Bike has held up fine aside from the initial issues in my first post. Solid af. Been on group rides, been over some nasty potholes at speed and handled some blistering sprints...no problem. In fact my confidence in it is growing everytime I ride it.

Originally Posted by myllertime
Great post, I was a little out there earlier but i decided to pull my posts until I have done a better and longer review of my bike. I will continue to ride and continue to update my thoughts on the bike. Will keep posted. I haven't ridden much lately but feel free to follow me on strava and ask questions about the bike as I ride it. Here is my strava profile strava.com/athletes/1864802
Who are you?? This is my MY thread, MY bike and MY build lol.
Old 04-07-16, 11:01 AM
myllertime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by espi-JG
Who are you?? This is my MY thread, MY bike and MY build lol.
haha sorry man, i had made some comments earlier but deleted because i wanted to put in the miles before I tell people more about my bike. I saw your thread and I decided to build one similar and see it for myself. I had posted on here about my build but pulled it. Sorry for crashing your thread, and I apologize for the slight harsh comments i made to other people on your thread. Well I guess I can share to you so far what I've got. I got the same frame as you but used different parts. Frame size is 57.5cm, used full SRAM Force that was on my other bike and random other parts. My bike came out to 16.5lbs with bottle cages and pedals (without the light in the picture). So far I've done about 120 miles on it. I like it so far but will do more riding before I post more about it. Thanks again for your thread. I had messaged you earlier about the bike size and strength (before I got mine). Thanks for the recommendation.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1073.jpg (100.2 KB, 1133 views)
Old 04-07-16, 11:58 AM
espi-JG
I see you over there

Originally Posted by myllertime
haha sorry man, i had made some comments earlier but deleted because i wanted to put in the miles before I tell people more about my bike. I saw your thread and I decided to build one similar and see it for myself. I had posted on here about my build but pulled it. Sorry for crashing your thread, and I apologize for the slight harsh comments i made to other people on your thread. Well I guess I can share to you so far what I've got. I got the same frame as you but used different parts. Frame size is 57.5cm, used full SRAM Force that was on my other bike and random other parts. My bike came out to 16.5lbs with bottle cages and pedals (without the light in the picture). So far I've done about 120 miles on it. I like it so far but will do more riding before I post more about it. Thanks again for your thread. I had messaged you earlier about the bike size and strength (before I got mine). Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh okay I gotcha. Nice build man! How awesome is this frame right? Are your wheels dhgate also? Did you have any bottom bracket thread issues or seat post bolt problems?

Last edited by espi-JG; 04-07-16 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-07-16, 12:10 PM
myllertime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh okay I gotcha. Nice build man! How awesome is this frame right? Are your wheels dhgate also? Did you have any bottom braket thread isssues or seat post bolt problems?
I am honestly impressed with the quality so far for being so cheap. I actually ended up getting it from AliExpress. Basically same thing. I got the wheels from AliExpress also for $300. The frame was $500. I didnt have any issues with the BB thread, and used a new SRAM GXP BB and fit for just fine. One of the seat post bolts was very tight to go in, but it went in just fine. I honestly havent had any issues at all (surprisingly). I am currently having issues with my front break though because I cut the cable housing too short (noob mistake) so it's pulling the right side of the caliper a little. I need to get a longer housing for the front break. So for now, I cant tighten the caliper all the way close to the wheel, need a little gap so the left pad doesn't hit while im not squeezing. It's an easy fix.
Old 04-07-16, 12:23 PM
espi-JG
I see you over there

Cool, GL man! We gotta update this thread every few months to give "real world data" and help out other people in our shoes. Honestly I can't believe these frames aren't more popular. I love mine.
Old 04-07-16, 01:26 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Honestly I can't believe these frames aren't more popular.
They probably are.

Most people are probably quietly enjoying though, since they are in fact illegal.
Old 03-29-17, 05:18 PM
espi-JG
I see you over there

OP here, thought I'd give an update 1 year later.
Not a single thing has asploded, in fact there hasn't been one problem mechanically. The chinese carbon integrated bars have been replaced by 3T Ergonovas and a Thomson X2. My flexibility increased and I needed a longer stem. The 1 piece bars are still intact just not being used. The chinese fizik saddle was replaced almost instantly, now I'm using a Specialized Toupe. The Conti GP4KSII's werent as puncture resistant as I'd hoped, so now I'm using Hardshells.

I hope this real world evidence will be educational. Happy riding!

Old 03-29-17, 06:55 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
OP here, thought I'd give an update 1 year later.
Not a single thing has asploded, in fact there hasn't been one problem mechanically.
How many miles?
Old 03-29-17, 07:57 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Few things come to mind. I'm surprised BikeForums doesn't have a policy about counterfeits. On another forum where there is a lot of discussion of factory direct, there is no talk of counterfeits.

It's become more sketchy now, Aliexpress now that they have significant western investors and are the official data hosts for Olympics, they have been cracking down on counterfeits. The sellers get around this by not posting pictures and just put a blank page with Email for pictures, so you know it's a counterfeit.

As others have mentioned, these bikes are of unknown origin. The sellers are not the manufacturers and they provide no information.

HongFu, DengFu, WorksWell, Yishun, Flyxii, ICAN, TopFire, LTKBikes are all verified. There is a real company behind the frames and there is customer service.
- Many of these are also sponsors of race teams.
- TopFire I know sponsor a few teams in Taiwan/China.
- LTKBikes frames are used by Ribble.
- DengFu sponsors Monda Rabobank team, rebranded as KRUSH.
- Yishun bikes are rebranded as GIOS in Italy
- You can also find a few postings of fans who have visited and toured these factories and seen the kind of tools, machinery, QC, R&D and testing these frames undergo.
- There are plenty of videos and anecdotes of users of these frames that have been successful in CAT 4/5 races with podium finishes, multi year reviews etc.

Point being the companies above can provide certificates they pass all safety regulations in the US, EU, AU and JPN. HongFu can also provide paperwork some of their bikes are UCI legal.

I think for a public forum like this, there is some responsibility when talking about machines that can place riders at risk. We all know there are catastrophic failures from every brand, every brand has multiple recalls. But with each recall it seems these companies are pressured to make changes. The Chinese factory direct are not under those pressures, but you can clearly see with each iteration, they improve and adapt the improvements, for example, HongFu and DengFu use EPS manufacturing process. With knowledge of who made these bikes, with customer service, it's easier and more responsible way to assess the worthiness and safety of these bikes. I don't see how counterfeits can be verified for their safety. If a user wants to take their risk, it's their right, but it seems irresponsible to vouch safety for a frame you know nothing about.
- I don't see how it is possible to vouch for a frame when you don't know who made it, what safety regulations it has been tested for, if they have a QC. As another said, we don't know if a seller on DHGate or AliExpress has one or multiple sources for the F8, I suspect there many factories trying to cash in on Dogma F8, F10, Cipollini etc.
- If a user here was to vouch for a seller for a counterfeit F10 he bought, he can't guarantee another forum member that he will be getting the same frame from the same factory etc.

That's my 2 cents regarding Chinese Direct frames.

Last edited by zymphad; 03-29-17 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-30-17, 08:02 AM
JBerman

Bikes: Guru Evolo-R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"We have analyzed several FALSE frames which have been confiscated via International Customs Authorities. These frames have been passed through the most elementary of resistance testing. The results showed worrying structural failures that can cause serious damage and / or death to the rider."

GENUINE PINARELLO DEALERS, PUT A FACE TO THE NAME. 4 RULES TO DETECT A FALSE PINARELLO ? CICLI PINARELLO S.p.A.

I am surprised anyone would want a replica of a bike. I would much rather have an off-branded one not trying to be something it isn't. Unless you are trying to fool other riders that you have a nicer bike, I don't really see the point. I don't have anything against inexpensive carbon frames, but I mean, why label your bike as something it isn't? I really don't get it. It isn't going the replicate the same ride quality, strength, carbon material used, stiffness, etc... Sure, it'll ride and look cool. But I just don't get how anyone would really want a look-a-like. You can find very high end carbon bikes used for the same price you paid.

Last edited by JBerman; 03-30-17 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-30-17, 08:16 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by JBerman
"We have analyzed several FALSE frames which have been confiscated via International Customs Authorities. These frames have been passed through the most elementary of resistance testing. The results showed worrying structural failures that can cause serious damage and / or death to the rider."

GENUINE PINARELLO DEALERS, PUT A FACE TO THE NAME. 4 RULES TO DETECT A FALSE PINARELLO ? CICLI PINARELLO S.p.A.

I am surprised anyone would want a replica of a bike. I would much rather have an off-branded one not trying to be something it isn't. Unless you are trying to fool other riders that you have a nicer bike, I don't really see the point. I don't have anything against inexpensive carbon frames, but I mean, why label your bike as something it isn't? I really don't get it. It isn't going the replicate the same ride quality, strength, carbon material used, stiffness, etc... Sure, it'll ride and look cool. But I just don't get how anyone would really want a look-a-like. You can find very high end carbon bikes used for the same price you paid.
But here is the real rub. If the fake doesn't have to be what it is labeled as, well then it really doesn't have to be anything at all. In other words if it doesn't have to really be the brand it is claiming to be, then there are no boundaries on it. You just have no idea what you are getting.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-30-17, 08:18 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Again, buying a knockoff Pinarello is shady and gross. I am glad the bike has not exploded under you, at least.
Old 03-30-17, 09:00 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad

HongFu, DengFu, WorksWell, Yishun, Flyxii, ICAN, TopFire, LTKBikes are all verified. There is a real company behind the frames and there is customer service.
- Many of these are also sponsors of race teams.
- TopFire I know sponsor a few teams in Taiwan/China.
- LTKBikes frames are used by Ribble.
- DengFu sponsors Monda Rabobank team, rebranded as KRUSH.
- Yishun bikes are rebranded as GIOS in Italy
- You can also find a few postings of fans who have visited and toured these factories and seen the kind of tools, machinery, QC, R&D and testing these frames undergo.
- There are plenty of videos and anecdotes of users of these frames that have been successful in CAT 4/5 races with podium finishes, multi year reviews etc.
Good info. GIOS bikes are marketed in Japan as well. They have advertisements in the cycling magazines here, so I had thought they were will known for a while.

Does a bike being UCI certified instill more confidence in the brand? My LBS has some Taiwanese bike that I had never heard of before with a decent price, and it's certified.
Old 03-30-17, 10:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
it's the Galileo defense: "Still ... it moves."

Everything people say about buying knock-offs is true. You have no idea if what you are buying is held together only by those decals which were really you paid for ... and if yours is great, the next guy might buy one which cracks and breaks under the weight of a hard stare.

On the other hand, we have these two guys with Chinarellos they love, which seem still to be providing good service.

Not how I would do it, but .... Their bikes still move.
Old 03-30-17, 01:33 PM
zymphad

Originally Posted by San Pedro
Good info. GIOS bikes are marketed in Japan as well. They have advertisements in the cycling magazines here, so I had thought they were will known for a while.

Does a bike being UCI certified instill more confidence in the brand? My LBS has some Taiwanese bike that I had never heard of before with a decent price, and it's certified.
Dunno about how much more confidence. It just means you can use it in a UCI race. With most of those brands, they can provide proof they have been tested for US/JPN/AU regulations through third party. I'm guessing, you can find out, that's probably the same company that tests Giant/Merida bikes.
Old 03-30-17, 03:43 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Does anyone know if Pinarello actively seeks out the counterfeiters? Just curious.

It seems like Rolex isn't really concerned about the cheap counterfeits sold on the streets of NYC. I always assumed Rolex didn't get concerned because the fakes were so obvious and that folks trying to counterfeit somehow makes their brand more prestigious.

Don't really know if the Pinarello fakes are very obvious or not.
Old 03-30-17, 03:48 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
In the broad landscape of IP and patent protection, Pinarello is tiny, relatively speaking. Heck, if Microsoft can't pin down the counterfeiters, and fake Apple stores sprung up in China without Apple knowing about it, what's Pinarello's chances?
Old 03-30-17, 05:23 PM
zymphad

Originally Posted by RShantz
Does anyone know if Pinarello actively seeks out the counterfeiters? Just curious.

It seems like Rolex isn't really concerned about the cheap counterfeits sold on the streets of NYC. I always assumed Rolex didn't get concerned because the fakes were so obvious and that folks trying to counterfeit somehow makes their brand more prestigious.

Don't really know if the Pinarello fakes are very obvious or not.
Dunno. But you can easily find Canyon Ultimate/Aero, Cipollini, and Argon 18 replicas

And as I said, Aliexpress is cracking down. Most of them do not advertise with pics or the name, it's just 2017 new model, email for pics.
Old 08-07-17, 02:37 PM
espi-JG
I see you over there

OP back again
Still no problems, I can't recommend this route enough. I wanted longer crank arms so I went with Ultegra.

Old 08-08-17, 08:38 AM
espi-JG
I see you over there

Originally Posted by noodle soup
How many miles?
About 30-50 a week.
Old 08-08-17, 08:47 AM
Symtex

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surprise, a Pinarelllo dealers is telling you not to buy a fake....how convenient. I am not saying the information is true or not but I would like to see an independent or third party make that analysis. It is in the best interest of the dealers to discourage you. They would never come out and say they are structurally safe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.