Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upgrade groupset or upgrade the entire bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-20, 12:45 AM
Phreshnphunky

Bikes: 2015 Kona Zone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I have a Roubaix SL2, with Sram Apex as the groupset. A bike from 2011

It's in great shape, the frame has no cracks, hasn't been crashed and has logged some good miles on it. The bike fits perfectly, and is comfortable to ride.

So here's my thinking

..upgrade the entire bike to a modern CF bike with disc brakes, OR upgrade the entire groupset (along with wheels)

If i were to go the route of an upgrade of the groupset, I would seriously consider the new 105 R7000 rim brake option.

Or the other option and sell the bike and find a 105 disc brake road bike.

Old 10-03-20, 01:06 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
What is wrong with the groupset on it?
Old 10-03-20, 01:12 AM
Phreshnphunky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
What is wrong with the groupset on it?
It's getting tired. The drive train has sustained a fair bit of miles. The rear derailleur is missing the odd shifts, even after indexing properly. It's not constant, but it gets annoying.
Old 10-03-20, 01:38 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
First off, that bike looks great!

The real question is, what's your budget? If it is smaller, just upgrade the groupset and keep riding...if it is larger (or you can mange to make it larger), get a new bike that is disc brake equipped, full hydraulic if possible.
Old 10-03-20, 07:06 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Phreshnphunky
It's getting tired. The drive train has sustained a fair bit of miles. The rear derailleur is missing the odd shifts, even after indexing properly. It's not constant, but it gets annoying.
Try aligning the rear derailleur hanger. Take the rd off and inspect it to see if it has developed play along the pivots. Replace the cables and housings throughout. If the rd has indeed worn out a new one for $50 and some maintenance vs a whole new groupset is worthwhile. Check the cassette, chain and chainrings to see if they are worn. I would take those savings and buy a nicer wheelset which will improve the bike more.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 10-03-20, 07:55 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Since you have Sram, why not stick with it. Depending on your budget look at the Trek Domane SL7 with Force eTap and disc brakes. Not cheap but if you really enjoy riding its a BIG step forward.

Keep your old bike for rain and foul weather since you'll be lucky to get $700 for it.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-03-20, 08:18 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
My roubaix is a 2012 sl3 and it’s a great bike and fits me perfectly. I upgraded the group set to ultegra a few years ago and it made a great difference. I’m glad I did and the prices of new bikes , I’ll probably be riding it for a long time. I have 28 k on my bike and it’s like new.
Old 10-03-20, 08:28 AM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
I have the same problem with my Di2 2012 Domane. The rear derailleur is worn and it occasionally misses shifts. Can’t source one easily as it’s no longer supported by Shimano.

Decided to get its replacement - a 2021 Domane SLR7 with Di2 and discs. I do not regret the decision one iota. Old and new show the stark differences in the first and third generation bikes, just 8 years apart. Frame sizes and dimensions are identical, but quite a few changes within the frame itself......

Old 10-03-20, 08:29 AM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
I have the same problem with my Di2 2012 Domane. The rear derailleur is worn and it occasionally misses shifts. Can’t source one easily as it’s no longer supported by Shimano.

Decided to get its replacement - a 2021 Domane SLR7 with Di2 and discs. I do not regret the decision one iota. Old and new show the stark differences in the first and third generation bikes, just 8 years apart. Frame sizes and dimensions are identical, but quite a few changes within the frame itself......

Old 10-03-20, 09:32 AM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Wouldn't the most budget option to be just to swap the mech out if it's shifting performance you're not happy with?

I would imagine than getting a new set of wheels + an entire modern groupset could easily cost more than a new bike and would really only make sense if you're very attached to the frame.
Likes For mattscq:
Old 10-03-20, 09:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Curious...why the switch from SRAM to Shimano?
Old 10-03-20, 10:06 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Who wouldn't want a new bike? Sounds like you want disc and that would be the way to go.
Old 10-03-20, 11:27 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,916 Times in 6,102 Posts
Have you ever replaced your cables and housings?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-03-20, 11:29 AM
Phreshnphunky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq
Wouldn't the most budget option to be just to swap the mech out if it's shifting performance you're not happy with?

I would imagine than getting a new set of wheels + an entire modern groupset could easily cost more than a new bike and would really only make sense if you're very attached to the frame.
Oh for sure, just replacing the rear mech is the most affordable. Maybe I'm finding an excuse to do some tinkering and getting new toys at the same time. Plus new is always better right?

And also, when considering a NEW bike....the prices now are climbing ever so beyond what is perceived to be affordable.

Originally Posted by George
My roubaix is a 2012 sl3 and it’s a great bike and fits me perfectly. I upgraded the group set to ultegra a few years ago and it made a great difference. I’m glad I did and the prices of new bikes , I’ll probably be riding it for a long time. I have 28 k on my bike and it’s like new.
When you find the right fit, modern updates and touches makes the difference!

Originally Posted by GlennR
Since you have Sram, why not stick with it. Depending on your budget look at the Trek Domane SL7 with Force eTap and disc brakes. Not cheap but if you really enjoy riding its a BIG step forward.

Keep your old bike for rain and foul weather since you'll be lucky to get $700 for it.
I was looking at the new Domane, its gorgeous. Plus, i'm not after selling the bike. It's definitely more difficult to sell a 10 year old carbon bike if one is unaware of the history.

Originally Posted by Narhay
Try aligning the rear derailleur hanger. Take the rd off and inspect it to see if it has developed play along the pivots. Replace the cables and housings throughout. If the rd has indeed worn out a new one for $50 and some maintenance vs a whole new groupset is worthwhile. Check the cassette, chain and chainrings to see if they are worn. I would take those savings and buy a nicer wheelset which will improve the bike more.
The hanger has been aligned, and the cables and housing has had an upgrade within the last year. I'm fairly meticulous with maintaining my bike. It get's more than enough love

Originally Posted by Badger6
First off, that bike looks great!

The real question is, what's your budget? If it is smaller, just upgrade the groupset and keep riding...if it is larger (or you can mange to make it larger), get a new bike that is disc brake equipped, full hydraulic if possible.
Budget is stretchable. I can honestly afford a new groupset, and a decent set of 20-30mm CF wheels.
Old 10-03-20, 11:44 AM
Phreshnphunky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Have you ever replaced your cables and housings?
Yep, they get checked, if not replaced every season.

Originally Posted by curbtender
Who wouldn't want a new bike? Sounds like you want disc and that would be the way to go.
You're right. Who doesn't want a new bike? but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on NEW NEW bike just yet.

Originally Posted by bruce19
Curious...why the switch from SRAM to Shimano?
Just to have some diversity. I appreciate both brands and don't mind using either.
Old 10-03-20, 11:58 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Is there anything your current bike doesn't do well? I.e., do you ride in rain or dirty conditions where you want better braking? Do you want to be able to run wider tires than the rim brakes allow? If the desire to get the new bike is more of a "want" than a "need", you might find that upgrading to a disc brake bike doesn't really do much to improve your ride over what you already have.

I'm a fan of disc brakes, I have them on my bikes, and really don't see a reason to buy a new bike with rim brakes. However, brakes are for stopping and bikes are meant to go, not stop. Most rim brakes with aluminum rims work just fine and quite frankly, I think rim brakes are much easier to work on than disc brakes.

To me, the next "big leap" one can take with road bikes that makes a pretty big difference is electronic shifting (Di2 or eTap). If you can afford to go that route, then by all means buy a new bike with discs and electronic shifting and then you will notice a big change from what you are currently riding.
Old 10-03-20, 01:13 PM
coupster

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Don't get me wrong . there's absolutely nothing wring with N+1. Follow your heart not your head, unless your wallet (or wife) has something to say. You say that your drive train is tired and missing occasional shifts and that is being blamed on your rear derailleur. Derailleurs (especially the rear) are pretty dumb beasties and their contribution to workability problems is somewhat minimal. If your cables, housing and chain are in good condition and your hanger is straight the next major suspect is the shifters. I have a 2012 Synapse with SRAM Rival. It too was getting tired after 25K miles or so. I took some non residue spray degreaser (that is kind to plastic) and saturated the internals of the shifters while working them up and down (un doing the cables at the derailleurs helps a lot). Then I liberally sprayed them with light weight lubricant (I like TriFlow) still working the mechanisms all the while. Put it all back together again, adjusted the derailleurs and SHAZZAM - crisp precise shifting - just like new and pretty painless - albeit a bit messy.

I wouldn't mind a new bike but don't want disc brakes, so I'm pretty much stuck with what I've got and try to keep it running as best as possible. So far its working for minimal cost. YMMV
Old 10-03-20, 02:45 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
[QUOTE=Phreshnphunky;
Just to have some diversity. I appreciate both brands and don't mind using either.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same. Running SRAM Red on my Guru and 105 on my CAAD 12.
Old 10-03-20, 03:15 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22606 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
If you don’t have a beater/backup bike, keep this one as a beater and buy a new bike.

If money is tight keep as is maybe upgrade drivetrain.
Old 10-03-20, 04:45 PM
roadie276

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
If you want to go with carbon wheels, it may be worthwhile to get the new bike with disc brakes. Especially if you are looking for a rationalization to bump to the bigger upgrade. : )
Old 10-03-20, 05:57 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I don't know, I just put a new chain and cassette on my 15 year old bike and it shifts like new. Silent too. You should be able to do that too, but I don't know SRAM. If you want a new bike though I'd say go for it. I thought about it myself this past year but decided at my age (65) it wouldn't be worth it. I certainly won't get another 15 years of use out of it. My current bike is carbon but it is getting to be old carbon. It hasn't exploded yet though. It looks a little beat up, but when you are moving nobody really notices.
Old 10-03-20, 06:12 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
A 105 soup to nuts group is around $650. That gets you shifters, rim brakes, derailers, cassette, chain, crank and b-bracket. Is your b-bracket BSA or press fit ?, if the later are you in need of a shop to yank old and install new ?. 105 is as good as Ultegra was 10 years ago, so is a good choice and assumes you can install a 11 spd cassette, or add in new wheels ?, easily another $500 for something basic and not killer light.

Hard call on a 9 year old bike, even as nice as the Specialized is. Near $1200 to upgrade ?, I question that. I’d rather have a new bike, but a Roubaix 105 seems to be about $2900, which I think is about $500 - $700 above what it’s worth, thus I’d look at other brands if going new.
Old 10-03-20, 06:56 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
I was riding down the road about 2 months ago with my wife as we were taking her dog to the vet, I saw some dude on a relatively new Emonda with di2 and I was like.....hmmmmm, new bike would be nice. Nothing wrong with my old bike, shift great, rides great, nothing needs updated, but something in me said, it's time. The reasonable guy in me says just update the groupset... the "I want a new bike" guy in me says, screw it, it's only money and you can't take it with you. I originally thought I wanted the Emonda SL7, as I love the Emonda ALR I have, but ended up going for Domane SLR 7 after taking it for a 30 test ride. It got shipped last Thursday.

My thought is, if you are asking this question, you already know the answer.

Old 10-03-20, 07:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6973 Post(s)
Liked 10,974 Times in 4,694 Posts
The hanger has been aligned, and the cables and housing has had an upgrade within the last year. I'm fairly meticulous with maintaining my bike. It get's more than enough love

Sounds like you might just need a new cassette. Get a new chain at the same time. Shouldn't cost more than a hundred bucks.
Old 10-03-20, 10:59 PM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
One thing to consider is if you're getting new wheels, they'll be rim brake wheels and if your goal is to eventually go disc, the sunk cost is not insignificant, seeing how wheels are so expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.