Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Building a road bike: Still worth it to go rim over disc?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Building a road bike: Still worth it to go rim over disc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-23, 06:11 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Heads up for the OP. This guy has an unhealthy dislike of most new bike tech and thinks it is only suitable for fat dentists.
Yeah, it's best to just ignore the whole post rather than go through the falsehoods one-by-one.
Old 06-24-23, 06:38 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
To the OP: beware of advice given by bike industry marketers and sales people. And bike industry apologists who trying to rationalize their most recent misguided purchase. But deep down they know that their new fat-tire disc equipped bike is a sluggish pig compared to the 16-pound carbon rocket they'd bought in 2013.

The bike industry has a planned obsolescence cycle to create consumer inventory churn, and the constant need to create the NEXT GREAT THING. Chronology:
  • In 1971 everyone had to be on a 10-speed (road racing bike) despite the inappropriate awkward riding position for most riders
  • In 1979 you had to be on a touring bike
  • In 1986 everyone had to be on a mountain bike - for all riding, on-road, off road, whatever.
  • In 1990 everyone had to be on a full suspension mountain bike. Yes, a 40-pound rig with 3" knobbies for putzing around paved roads the 'hood
  • In 1996 everyone had to be on a fixie
  • In 2001 everyone had to be on a road bike again, well, because Lance was so great
  • 2015 Discs
  • 2016 fat tires
  • Next: how about dropper posts and suspension forks for road bikes?
  • Whatever
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 06-24-23, 06:46 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Do you have other bikes? Do they all have rim brakes? Is having interchangeable wheels a thing you would value? I have a stable of bikes that all have rim brakes, and I just bought some carbon tubeless-read rims from Light Bicycle because that's what all my bikes are and I'm happy with that. If I was starting without any bikes today AND I didn't vastly prefer the looks of C&V bikes (lugs and chrome for the win), I'd probably go disk because it has the most current options. I do value however keeping everything interchangeable (and don't have the budget to buy another new frame - especially when I have a couple more in the build queue than my wife would be happy to know about.).

Likes For himespau:
Old 06-24-23, 07:07 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
To the OP ...
  • Whatever
Yeah, whatever.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-24-23, 07:38 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
To the OP: beware of advice given by bike industry marketers and sales people. And bike industry apologists who trying to rationalize their most recent misguided purchase. But deep down they know that their new fat-tire disc equipped bike is a sluggish pig compared to the 16-pound carbon rocket they'd bought in 2013.

The bike industry has a planned obsolescence cycle to create consumer inventory churn, and the constant need to create the NEXT GREAT THING. Chronology:
  • In 1971 everyone had to be on a 10-speed (road racing bike) despite the inappropriate awkward riding position for most riders
  • In 1979 you had to be on a touring bike
  • In 1986 everyone had to be on a mountain bike - for all riding, on-road, off road, whatever.
  • In 1990 everyone had to be on a full suspension mountain bike. Yes, a 40-pound rig with 3" knobbies for putzing around paved roads the 'hood
  • In 1996 everyone had to be on a fixie
  • In 2001 everyone had to be on a road bike again, well, because Lance was so great
  • 2015 Discs
  • 2016 fat tires
  • Next: how about dropper posts and suspension forks for road bikes?
  • Whatever
Beware of advice given by Dave Mayer.

He clearly has some issues going on here. He posts this kind of bs on a regular basis. Don’t be fooled by it. “Bike industry apologists’ FFS!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-24-23, 08:04 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
Here is a nice and balanced article on the subject from Rodriguez Bicyclez in Seattle (they know a thing or two about brakes):

https://www.rodbikes.com/articles/di...sco-fever.html
That is a very good piece. I love this line from the piece:

"As it turns out, paper doesn't refuse ink, keyboards don't refuse fingers, and the internet doesn't refuse opinions of those who have vested interests. Its up to those who have decades of experience building and servicing bicycles to bring the facts to the surface (facts are stubborn things)."

Yeah I trust people with long experience over the marketing people.

Last edited by bikemig; 06-24-23 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-24-23, 08:28 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I have both. Disc on my MTBs. Rim on my Road bikes
Likes For ussprinceton:
Old 06-24-23, 09:05 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Sorry to say it all you disk brake haters, but going with rim brakes means either going with Campagnolo or going with a discontinued group set or a lower end group set. And while I have a rim brake bike with carbon wheels, I will not ride it in the rain. Absolutely no way. So that means alloy wheels. I got caught at work by a heavy rain storm on my disk brake road bike. No big deal. Ride home as fast as I can. I have brakes that work.

Now, where are you going to get a 65mm deep wheel set made out of aluminum alloy? And what will that weigh? Are you going to tell me that disk brakes plus my Winspace D67 wheels are less aerodynamic than any 35mm aluminum wheel with rim brakes? And lighter? And more reliable?

Time marches on. The R&D money is being spent on disk brakes. My Campagnolo disk brakes don't rub on the disk, they work in the rain with deep carbon wheels.
Old 06-24-23, 09:05 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I think coaster hub is superior to rim or disc brakes, and I have 1000 miles testing on this build so far this year to back that up.

Old 06-24-23, 09:24 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
That is a very good piece. I love this line from the piece:

"As it turns out, paper doesn't refuse ink, keyboards don't refuse fingers, and the internet doesn't refuse opinions of those who have vested interests. Its up to those who have decades of experience building and servicing bicycles to bring the facts to the surface (facts are stubborn things)."

Yeah I trust people with long experience over the marketing people.
Excellent article!

Jeez, a lot of opinions in this thread come right out of the July 2023 editorial of BUYcyclng magazine. Adage of the bike publications: lick the hand that feeds you.

Forgot to mention one key thing: maintenance! What happens when your weekend warrior wants to change their stem on a 2023 high-end road bike? On the lighter, faster 2013 version, this takes 10 minutes with a 5mm hex key.

On the 2023 bike, which costs double that of the 2013 bike in Real dollars, be prepared for hours of fishing, bleeding, and cursing, which involves removing the crankset and the entire front end of the bike. So your weekend warrior takes it to the shop, has to wait a week, and gets slapped with a $350 bill to gain 10mm of stem rise.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 06-24-23, 09:50 PM
tomato coupe

Here is a nice and balanced article on the subject from Rodriguez Bicyclez in Seattle (they know a thing or two about brakes):

That article was written more than 10 years ago, so it's not a useful review of modern road bike disc brakes.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-24-23, 09:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Excellent article!

Jeez, a lot of opinions in this thread come right out of the July 2023 editorial of BUYcyclng magazine. Adage of the bike publications: lick the hand that feeds you.

Forgot to mention one key thing: maintenance! What happens when your weekend warrior wants to change their stem on a 2023 high-end road bike? On the lighter, faster 2013 version, this takes 10 minutes with a 5mm hex key.

On the 2023 bike, which costs double that of the 2013 bike in Real dollars, be prepared for hours of fishing, bleeding, and cursing, which involves removing the crankset and the entire front end of the bike. So your weekend warrior takes it to the shop, has to wait a week, and gets slapped with a $350 bill to gain 10mm of stem rise.
The fix gear of my avatar photo has two "cockpits" - bars, stem, and full brakes; calipers and all. (A deep drop and wide "climbing" setup. V-brake road levers for their huge hoods. Shimano dual pivots giving plenty of power but not so much that braking on a rough surface hard! to keep those pedals off the pavement when I see the mountain corner I"m not making. The other - standard bend and narrower bars, regular levers and some beautiful (and pretty darn good) sidepulls for flat ground rides. Better upwind.

I love that swapping cockpits takes me 5 minutes. Nothing requires skill or close attention. (Well, it's a quill stem and if I rush that I go nuts with the cockeyed handlebars.) I can do the swap and the only check I do is to squeeze the levers and adjust the barrels if needed.

10 mm of stem rise? 5 minutes out on the road and that includes fishing for the hex key.

Edit: typo
Old 06-24-23, 10:58 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Rim brakes work very well. Disc brakes - while really best in some situations - are rarely needed by the vast majority of road bike riders. But they've become standard like it or no.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-24-23, 11:20 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I think coaster hub is superior to rim or disc brakes, and I have 1000 miles testing on this build so far this year to back that up.

A low performance brake that only slows down the rear wheel is superior? We have a very different view of what superior means.
Old 06-24-23, 11:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-25-23, 12:58 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

What a horribly written article, plus, 2012?
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-25-23, 02:17 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts

Seat post is mounted backwards (to reverse the setback) and saddle is all the way forward; is the bike too small for the rider?
Old 06-25-23, 03:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Excellent article!

I get it that you hate new bike tech and think we are all fools for buying it. But do you have any personal experience of the tech that you are so keen to ridicule, along with those who actually use it?
Old 06-25-23, 04:12 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Lots of bickering and character assassination in this post makes the posters sound like a bunch of children but they are just being passionate (hopefully).

For brakes QUALITY hydraulic discs are the absolute best followed by QUALITY rim brakes. Being said Mechanical discs are as good as rim brakes BUT in the 15 years having them I would not by again. I found them annoyingly noisy, not great at stopping in HEAVY rain, even in mildly wet conditions they needed to be applied to "burn off" the water before they grabbed well, and needed adjusting every week. - none of which have I encountered with hydro brakes OR my rim brakes for that matter. FWIW I am a new convert to hydro disc brakes (1 year on a Trek 920) and have worked on rim brake bikes for 45 years as well as CX racing on rim brakes with 60mm carbon wheels. - they are all good if set up properly

My experience with electronic group sets is very limited but since they came out I have seen many fail on local group rides (one just from a pot hole ) - buy new if just for the warranty.

If I were to build a NEW bike it would be hydraulic disc for sure and NEW electronic shifting possibly. Maybe the new SRAM Rival AXS 1x, electronic and hydraulic disc for ~ $1000
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 06-25-23, 05:26 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
How new to road riding? No matter how carefully you pick your first bike, it will not be optimum for you, and you'll be taking this experience to move on to bike #2 and then bike #3. Based on extensive experience with folks needing service, bike #3 is about right or getting close. So I recommend you try a lot of bikes and don't spend a lot right away.

More:
  • Really good mechanical discs have about the same stopping power as good rim brakes. I'm riding R8000 rim brakes over some long long descents, and they are really good. Direct-mount rim brakes are even better.
  • Discs are going to add roughly 2 pounds to your bike between the rotors, heavier calipers, bulked-up frame and fork, and bulked-up rims/spokes/hubs. Plus $500+ to your tab. Are you doing warp speed descents in the rain? Do you have arthritic hands or carry camping gear on your bike?
  • Bike weight is the biggest factor in road performance - particularly wheel weight. Riding with a group - the last thing you want is to get dropped off the back on a climb or a hard acceleration out of a corner.
  • Fat tires (>25mm).. Just how heavy are you? If you are appropriately cyclist svelte, then fatter tires are heavy, less aero, and have higher rolling resistance. The heavy fatter rims required for these tires double-down on this disadvantage. Tires and wheels suitable for gravel riding are too slow for fast road riding.
  • Tubeless: if you live in goathead country or do not know how to field change a flat, then I guess tubeless is good. Otherwise, this is a PITA solution inappropriately borrowed from the MTB world. Like the other items in the list above.
  • Finally, the bike industry and associated bike shops: listen carefully what they say, but remember that they are always trying to sell you something. Something new.
Is this post a joke or are you an old bike mechanic who is stuck in the 80's? There is almost nothing correct in your post.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-25-23, 06:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by sir_crash_alot
I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on whether it's worth it to build a high end rim brake bike today
Are you planning to buy your high end frame new or are you looking at used? Do you have a frame material preference?
Old 06-25-23, 11:58 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
IMO the main thing is frame performance. Frame performance varies more than any difference in component performance and the frame matters every instant you are on the bike. So head in that direction and use components which work well with that frame. The only big difference between disc and rim brakes is in rim wear. If you only ride in the dry, that's not a factor either. If your local roads have bad chipseal, wide tires will make a big difference. otherwise not so much. For ease of maintenance and installation, hard to beat rim brakes. But frame choice is really the determinant. Carbon of course.
Old 06-25-23, 03:19 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Excellent article!

The latest trend on the market – integrated handlebar – changed that. If you want to raise the stem or change its length, you will also need to pay for a new fork or a new integrated handlebar. But it is likely that the producer might refuse to sell those to you and ask you to send the bike to his premises (many times in another country) for the change. So, you might end up with the cheapest solution: not changing anything.

Last edited by Redbullet; 06-25-23 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-25-23, 03:28 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Heads up for the OP. This guy has an unhealthy dislike of most new bike tech and thinks it is only suitable for fat dentists.
“This guy’s” statements (David Mayer) are valid. And even if he would be wrong (which is not the case), I think that trying to punish somebody on a forum for sharing his (her) experience is not reasonable.

With regards to the brakes: after riding both types on road bikes, I think that the disc brakes have advantages in special conditions such as: very long and hard descents with carbon rims, riding in heavy rain and / or mud conditions. On the other hand, rim brakes are cheaper, lighter and much easier to set up and maintain (especially on aluminum rims). Braking power in normal conditions is pretty much the same. Of course, we talk about good rim brakes, e.g.: SRAM Force. Since I always avoid riding in special (extreme) conditions, I can’t really benefit from the advantages of disk brakes, so I only bear their disadvantages.

I think that market(ing) sometimes pushes us to forget objectivity and to jump to justify our purchases or to follow the trends that are imposed.
Likes For Redbullet:
Old 06-25-23, 03:59 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Redbullet
“This guy’s” statements (David Mayer) are valid. And even if he would be wrong (which is not the case), I think that trying to punish somebody on a forum for sharing his (her) experience is not reasonable.
How is he being punished?

And, yes, most of his statements are wrong. The following statement is laughable.

Bike weight is the biggest factor in road performance - particularly wheel weight. Riding with a group - the last thing you want is to get dropped off the back on a climb or a hard acceleration out of a corner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.