Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike day goes wrong

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike day goes wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 05:50 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
New bike day goes wrong

I was quite excited that my new bike was scheduled to be delivered today. I ordered a Canyon Endurace CF 105 Di2. When I got home I opened the box to find a nicely packed light blue shiny new bike. I get to the point where I am installing the seat and post and notice an M on the seat tube. Only problem is I ordered a small. They sent me the wrong size and now I see that the size I ordered is out of stock. I am gutted. I don’t know if I should take it to the lbs for a bike fit (which I intended to do anyway) and see if we can make it work or send it back to Canyon. I have no idea what the return/exchange process is like with Canyon. Ugh, so disappointed.
Old 07-10-23, 06:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
They need to make it right. Their sizes run crazy, and in the wrong direction. I take a "medium" or 54.5 in normal bike sizing; Canyon says I need a small. If you have long legs it might work, but you pay a lot for something like this, so it needs to fit perfectly. If they are sold out, they should give you what is in stock in your size at a superior trim level.

Taking it to the LBS might not go over too well. At the very least, expect some snark unless they are very very polite and professional. (One of the primary reasons to buy at a LBS is so you leave with what fits, and what you ordered.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-10-23, 06:33 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Don’t “force” the bike to fit you. They need to make it right.
Old 07-10-23, 06:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
If your height -- yes, I know height alone does not determine frame size -- puts you near the top of the range of S or in between S and M, it does not hurt to make a few adjustments to see if the bike would fit you, but otherwise, don't force the bike on yourself.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-10-23, 07:19 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I've always preferred a bike that is "supposed to be" too large for me based on my dimensions. Since you have it, I would finish assembly and at least climb on and do some basic adjustments and see how it feels before I went into panic mode. You never know, you might just like it.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 07-10-23, 07:35 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Thanks for all of the responses. I am right in the middle of the range for Canyons small size. I can tell by the stand over height that I need the smaller frame so I guess this one is going back. I see that Canyon doesn’t offer exchanges and you have to process a refund for the first bike and place a second order for the new bike. I am not even sure I want to continue my business with Canyon after the mixup. I will be heading to the local lbs’ store see what is out there. It is a shame because this bike is beautiful. Even more impressive in person than in pictures and videos.
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-10-23, 07:40 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Send it back, do not try to make a wrong sized bike fit, not at this price
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-10-23, 09:15 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
Thanks for all of the responses. I am right in the middle of the range for Canyons small size.
Same.

Send it back. Their "medium" is likely going to be too big for you.
Old 07-10-23, 09:24 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses. I am right in the middle of the range for Canyons small size. I can tell by the stand over height that I need the smaller frame so I guess this one is going back. I see that Canyon doesn’t offer exchanges and you have to process a refund for the first bike and place a second order for the new bike. I am not even sure I want to continue my business with Canyon after the mixup. I will be heading to the local lbs’ store see what is out there. It is a shame because this bike is beautiful. Even more impressive in person than in pictures and videos.
I am interested how they respond. I am on the verge of ordering an endurance cf also in small. My buddy’s girlfriend has a medium and i tried it and it was huge. She is well over 6’ . Curious how long did it take for delivery? I can see them not doing exchanges if it was yiur mix up but being it was theirs they should treat it differently.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 07-10-23, 09:52 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Originally Posted by jadmt
I am interested how they respond. I am on the verge of ordering an endurance cf also in small. My buddy’s girlfriend has a medium and i tried it and it was huge. She is well over 6’ . Curious how long did it take for delivery? I can see them not doing exchanges if it was yiur mix up but being it was theirs they should treat it differently.
I ordered on July 3rd and took delivery today. I am in Florida and they ship out of California so I am just about as far away as possible. I will update the thread with their response. I see on their website that they wait for the returned product to arrive, then inspect, then process the refund. If that’s the case the earliest I would expect to see the money back in the account is around two weeks. It says on the site that it can take as much as 30 days for the refund. Similarly spec’d bikes from the Cannondale, Specialized, Giant, etc… are easily $1500-2000 more so I am not sure what I am going to do.
Old 07-10-23, 10:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
That's for returning something due to buyer's remorse or whatever. They sent you the wrong size. You shouldn't have to run their gauntlet or pay a penny for any of this.
Old 07-10-23, 10:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Just return it and see when a size S will be back in stock. If it's a reasonable time, wait.
Companies aren't perfect because people make mistakes from time to time.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-10-23, 10:36 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I would call them as opposed to email or through their website. If they sent you something you didn't order, it's different from you just not being happy with what you got and wanting to return/exchange. Considering it's their screwup, they may do something to get you what you ordered sooner than waiting for all the processing time of a standard return.
Old 07-11-23, 12:45 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Yeah, call them. This is not a typical return, it is a return because of a definite error on their part. And please let us know what they do.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-11-23, 02:17 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
First thing I would do is double check your original order to make sure you didn't accidentally order a medium frame. Then I would call them to explain the issue. As above this is not a normal return unless you made a mistake with the order. They should fast track this for you, although there may not be much they can do if your size is out of stock other than put you right at the front of the queue - which is the least they should do.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-11-23, 02:58 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Do not do any work on it, send it back and get the right size. Even if you mistakenly ordered the wrong size, Canyon should be willing to work with you. If the mistake is theirs, they need to own it, and make it right, ASAP. I am sure this is not a first time for them.
Old 07-11-23, 04:45 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
+1 on calling.
I found Canyon support to be excellent, I hope you find the same. Good luck, I know I'd be angry and disappointed if this happened to me.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 07-11-23, 06:04 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Return it. Have them take care of sending you back the right bike and compensate you for this. I heard they have a great customer service.
Old 07-11-23, 06:12 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Agree with everything above. Verify it was not your error (unlikely but this has happened to all of us). Next, call them. This is NOT a typical "return" this was their error/mistake and they should cover shipping for the return and make it right by you with either a full refund or the correct size bike you ordered.

Let us know how it goes?
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-11-23, 06:40 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Did you specify a S frame when you ordered? If so, and they sent a M because your size was out of stock, that's 100% on them. Send it back and ask for the correct size, or a refund. DO NOT assemble the bike and ride it until you know you'll get the correct size, or your money back.
Old 07-11-23, 09:21 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Did you specify a S frame when you ordered? If so, and they sent a M because your size was out of stock, that's 100% on them. Send it back and ask for the correct size, or a refund. DO NOT assemble the bike and ride it until you know you'll get the correct size, or your money back.
I sincerely and deeply hope that no bike manufacturer in the world ships you the next available size when the one you ordered is not in stock.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 07-11-23, 01:20 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Originally Posted by eduskator
I sincerely and deeply hope that no bike manufacturer in the world ships you the next available size when the one you ordered is not in stock.
I would certainly hope not lol.
Old 07-11-23, 01:30 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

So I just got off the phone with Canyon customer service. They were very apologetic about the mixup. He did state that I was not the only customer that received the wrong bike and he mentioned it being isolated to the Endurace model. They are currently trying to find the source of the issue. I have a feeling that it is human error because the label on the box was labeled with the correct size of the bike inside the box. I think they just grabbed the wrong one and sent it. I really hope it wasn’t a situation where they were out of small and just sent the next size up.

bad news: no exchanges despite being their fault. I have to wait for them to inspect the bike in California before issuing a refund. He doesn’t know when the small will be available again but he is checking on it and getting back to me. He will let me know when I can place an order.

decent news: he insinuated that people with messed up orders will be able to place orders before they are made available to everyone else. He said they would refund the shipping fee on the second bike ($100 off) and see if there was anything else they could do for me.

I will update the thread once Canyon follows up with me. Still not sure how I want to proceed at this point besides definitely returning the wrong size bike.
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-11-23, 02:14 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Frame size numbers and letters are worthless. Know your fit based on stack, reach, and saddle to bar drop. If the frame uses a conventional stem and bars, stem angle and length changes might fix a fit issue. With integrated bar/stem, the stem angle usually can't be changed, so stack changes are limited. Do you know what the exact fit problem is?
Old 07-11-23, 08:26 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
So I just got off the phone with Canyon customer service. They were very apologetic about the mixup. He did state that I was not the only customer that received the wrong bike and he mentioned it being isolated to the Endurace model. They are currently trying to find the source of the issue. I have a feeling that it is human error because the label on the box was labeled with the correct size of the bike inside the box. I think they just grabbed the wrong one and sent it. I really hope it wasn’t a situation where they were out of small and just sent the next size up.

bad news: no exchanges despite being their fault. I have to wait for them to inspect the bike in California before issuing a refund. He doesn’t know when the small will be available again but he is checking on it and getting back to me. He will let me know when I can place an order.

decent news: he insinuated that people with messed up orders will be able to place orders before they are made available to everyone else. He said they would refund the shipping fee on the second bike ($100 off) and see if there was anything else they could do for me.

I will update the thread once Canyon follows up with me. Still not sure how I want to proceed at this point besides definitely returning the wrong size bike.
I personally think that is poor cs being they know it is their fault. they should issue refund as soon as the return shipping label is scanned. I am glad you posted this as I have been wanting to pull the trigger on the endurance cf7 disc.
Likes For jadmt:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.