Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miyata Prices!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Miyata Prices!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 08:33 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A few years ago i was looking for a used Miyata 1000 or equivalent for a commuter-touring bike. I was never able to find one in my size and good condition, for what I considered a fair price. I finally gave up and ordered a brand new Bob Jackson World Tour from England.
Old 05-28-13, 10:32 PM
Creme Brulee

Bikes: koga miyata road gentleman, raleigh crested butte, raleigh comp 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think triple crosses are cool. those still go for cheapish
Old 05-29-13, 04:47 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Who ever is selling the blinged out chrome 610 I posted about, must be reading this thread.....price jumped yesterday a $1,000! He's now looking for $2,999.99. We should lock this thread before all the Miyata's are priced above reason!
Old 05-29-13, 05:37 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 2,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce Enns
As a BF member who's opinion has "little to none" merit on this forum, LOL ........ I'd just like to say that I would never consider selling my Miyata 1000 for 550.00. My bike is also an earlier model 1000 with half step gearing/friction shifting, etc, etc, which in most circles leaves a lot to be desired.

I know many forum members have 1000's and I'd be curious to see how many owners would part with them for 550.00. My bet is not many, but I could be very wrong!
Not trying to be argumentative here but what you are willing to sell your Miyata for does not establish a "market" price. It's obviously worth whatever a buyer and seller agree on. These prices increasingly suggest that sellers are trying to get a price closer to what an art object or something rare is worth rather than what a practical everyday tool is worth. As a buyer I think of bikes as a practical everyday tool (albeit a beautiful one) so at these prices I'll happily pass (and I love Miyatas) and either buy a new touring bike or an alternative vintage bike that is not priced as an art object.
Old 05-29-13, 06:12 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Might have to look at other sources, as well. Craigslist, garage sales, pawn shops- have not caught the fever yet. Got a very basic Miyata CityRunner commuter in excellent condition for about $100.00 the other day. Seen some 100 and 110 series go for 50.00 in garage sales (just too small for me)
Old 05-29-13, 07:07 AM
Bruce Enns

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Not trying to be argumentative here but what you are willing to sell your Miyata for does not establish a "market" price. It's obviously worth whatever a buyer and seller agree on. These prices increasingly suggest that sellers are trying to get a price closer to what an art object or something rare is worth rather than what a practical everyday tool is worth. As a buyer I think of bikes as a practical everyday tool (albeit a beautiful one) so at these prices I'll happily pass (and I love Miyatas) and either buy a new touring bike or an alternative vintage bike that is not priced as an art object.
I just clearly stated that I wouldn't sell my 1000 for 550.00. Never tried to establish a price. Go price a new lugged touring frame ........... wasn't making reference to "art work" although that would add to the current and future value of these bikes.

Last edited by Bruce Enns; 05-29-13 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-29-13, 07:18 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I just clearly stated that I wouldn't sell my 1000 for 550.00. Never tried to establish a price. Go price a new lugged touring frame ........... wasn't making reference to "art work" although that would add to the current and future value of these bikes.
I have a Koga Miyata Traveler, which is similar but different, and I would never sell it for market value or anything approaching market value. I don't care what the bike's average worth is to others, it's worth a LOT to me, and I couldn't replace it easily for double its value. Like you said - to replace it, I'd have to spend a lot of money and I don't think my odds of finding one used are very good. I also have it perfectly dialed in to my preferences, which takes time and work. I wouldn't want to have to do that again.
Old 05-29-13, 07:22 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm trying to make a little different point which is that you are not really a willing seller (and understandably so given that you have such a nice touring bike). The question is what is a substitute good and I think there are plenty out there. I understand you disagree but that's what I mean about a bike as an art object. Things that are rare are often valued differently than things that are common. I think the value that owners of old bikes put on their bikes says a lot about their (understandable) attachment to the bike and its comparative rarity.
Old 05-29-13, 07:28 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

bikemig - it's not easy finding a good substitute for a quality full tourer...and the differences between tourers is, IME, greater than the differences between road bikes. When you have found a touring bike that works for you, you don't sell it. My personal view is that $550 for a Miyata 1000 with racks is a steal for the buyer...and I don't think Surly LHTs are even approaching their quality. Miyata 1000s aren't truly that rare...they are production bikes...but it is a bit rare to find a nice one in decent condition that someone is willing to sell.

Most of the bikes we call rare here aren't really that rare. The flip side is that there are a growing number of us hunting the pool that exists.
Old 05-29-13, 08:31 AM
CenturionIM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
Who ever is selling the blinged out chrome 610 I posted about, must be reading this thread.....price jumped yesterday a $1,000! He's now looking for $2,999.99. We should lock this thread before all the Miyata's are priced above reason!
Nah, the thread won't jack the price up. Buyers with money will. That or the seller with keep his bike for eternity. Miyata 1000, as nice as it is, is not a collector's item IMHO.
Old 05-29-13, 08:36 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
Beautiful bike, but $2,999.99 for a mass produced Japanese bike?

My thought is that this seller over-invested in this bike with quality parts and is now trying to recoup the cost. If he get's this price, not only will I be shocked, but we vintage riders are in real trouble!
Old 05-29-13, 02:11 PM
12mphflatout

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last month, after deciding to get into cycling, I bought a 1990 Team Miyata on ebay. It has most of the original Dura Ace components, except that the rear quick release skewer has been replaced with an Ultegra, and the saddle is a falling-apart 1990s Liberator. The listing didn't mention a few of the bike's rust spots, and the chain was worn, as are the brake hoods. I paid $460 for it, and when I first got it, I thought, did I get ripped off? But after tuning it up, cleaning it, and putting on a new chain, I came to the personal conclusion that the more fun a bike is to ride, the higher its value for whoever is riding it. My new bike is light, super-fast, smooth and quiet, and I love it. I think it looks really cool on the road, too -- I caught a guy on a new Specialized giving my bike what I think was a look of envy. So in the end, I think I got a great deal. That said, that doesn't give the sellers on ebay and craigslist permission to over-value these bikes. When idiots and newbies like me stop paying out the ying-yang, the prices will hit a ceiling.
Old 05-29-13, 02:18 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Uhhhh...$460 is not over paying for a Team Miyata in the condition you describe. I saw that ad and thought about it...fortunately it was sized wrong. For some reason Team Miyatas rarely come up on eBay at all...it's easier to get a De Rosa.

It's a used bike - you have to shrug stuff like a chain replacement off.
Old 05-29-13, 06:13 PM
Bruce Enns

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I have a Koga Miyata Traveler, which is similar but different, and I would never sell it for market value or anything approaching market value. I don't care what the bike's average worth is to others, it's worth a LOT to me, and I couldn't replace it easily for double its value. Like you said - to replace it, I'd have to spend a lot of money and I don't think my odds of finding one used are very good. I also have it perfectly dialed in to my preferences, which takes time and work. I wouldn't want to have to do that again.
+1, every sentence is true and very well stated! I think I'll go break out the Miyata now and go for a spin.
Old 05-29-13, 06:23 PM
Bruce Enns

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm trying to make a little different point which is that you are not really a willing seller (and understandably so given that you have such a nice touring bike). The question is what is a substitute good and I think there are plenty out there. I understand you disagree but that's what I mean about a bike as an art object. Things that are rare are often valued differently than things that are common. I think the value that owners of old bikes put on their bikes says a lot about their (understandable) attachment to the bike and its comparative rarity.
Yes, you're right on target. There are many bikes out there that equal a Miyata 1000. Saguaro has a beautiful Nishiki Cresta, Univega's Gran Turismo, Specialized Expeditions, we could go on and on, there are many to chose from.
Old 05-29-13, 06:41 PM
Bruce Enns

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think we really disagree other than I don't consider my Miyata an "art object". I do consider it a very nicely crafted and thought out touring bike made with high end components (of its time). Out on the road it performs admirably.

I do see the bike as a beautiful piece of workmanship and the Japanese people proved they could build bikes with the best of them .......... in my opinion anyway. I also don't think they are rare, although I bought mine several years back. Even back then, one had to be patient and be ready to jump at a moments notice.
Old 05-29-13, 06:43 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,257 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Beautiful bike, but $2,999.99 for a mass produced Japanese bike?

My thought is that this seller over-invested in this bike with quality parts and is now trying to recoup the cost. If he get's this price, not only will I be shocked, but we vintage riders are in real trouble!
When we lose our pricing perspective, it's always good to look up an auction from our friends at Bbc Bikes

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Marlboro-prom...item519d3a2253

Where's the BIN button on that Miyata!
Old 05-29-13, 07:07 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Holy smokes!
Old 05-29-13, 07:41 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26464 Post(s)
Liked 10,420 Times in 7,235 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
+1
I've ridden/owned a full gamut of Miyatas, and while I think they are really excellent machines, I don't see where they are any MORE excellent than the equivalent offerings from their contemporary Japanese competitors, such as Nishiki, Maruishi, Univega, et al.

- But popular perception is reality I guess.

..........when the pink Miyatas start showing up, maybe then. Everybody knows pink bikes are more valuable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Maruishi Record 001.jpg (95.9 KB, 133 views)
Old 05-30-13, 01:20 PM
bennie222

Bikes: '16 Cannondale Slate, '12 Fisher Cronus, '85 Pinarello Triatlon, '98 Sampson Z7 Pro Road Ti , '96 Merlin Titanium, '95 Cannondale V500, '72 Gitane TdF, ' 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, '85 Centurion Ironman pink/yellow, ' 85 1st gen Fuso.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eippo1
Weird stuff happens on ebay. i sold an '89? Miyata 1000 a few years back for almost $800 because it was in great shape and there was a bidding war. I've also picked up an sworks road frame for under $100. Ebay is fickle. As others say, average the completed listings for a better picture.
I think my friend bought that Miyata from you.. all original? Still had Miyata brand tires on it and foam?

$800 seems like a lot for some of us who often find great bikes for $200, but compared to a modern touring bike, you can't really get something better for $800 to tour with. The technology hasn't exactly changed for touring bikes so I think the higher prices are mostly justified, IF it's the right bike. I bought my '81 Miyata 1000 barn fresh for $250 I think and dumped $400 into it fixing it up, later to decide it's not the right bike.., its too early, one water bottle cage, no mid fork mount for low riders... I'd rather have an '85 to '89. I might have been better off paying $650 for a later model, ready to ride...
Old 05-30-13, 01:48 PM
just dank
Cult Classic Cycling Club

Bikes: Ridley Helium, Norco Search

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a 63cm 1989 1100a im selling for $350 with 2 seat posts
Old 05-31-13, 01:36 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
+1
I've ridden/owned a full gamut of Miyatas, and while I think they are really excellent machines, I don't see where they are any MORE excellent than the equivalent offerings from their contemporary Japanese competitors, such as Nishiki, Maruishi, Univega, et al.

- But popular perception is reality I guess.
What's not perception is that Miyata was the only manufacturer to commit the time, money and effort into constructing their own tubing mill and manufacturing their own tubing. They felt that the only way to fully realize the designers' concept was to be able to tailor the tubing. They were not willing to accept the compromise of a standard tubeset manufactured by someone else. While some may not consider this important, it's just one example of Miyata's level of committment to building their vision of the perfect bicycle. It certainly gave them a marketing edge over the competition.
Old 06-01-13, 08:00 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
What's not perception is that Miyata was the only manufacturer to commit the time, money and effort into constructing their own tubing mill and manufacturing their own tubing.
I believe Miyata manufactured artillery, mortar and tank gun tubes before they got into bicycle manufacturing, so the experience in tubing was definitely there.

Now, I do have a soft spot for a good, well built tank, but I like bikes alittle better!

Hey, is Miyata still building bikes these days?
Old 06-01-13, 08:18 AM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Forget the asking price and use the sold items filter in the advanced search function. You'll see that things are a lot more realistic. If you compare the sold items to the closed auctions you'll find that only about 25-33% of listed items sell because the sellers price them too aggressively.
+1. "You are correct, Sir!"

There are many truths, both analytical and emotional, being expressed in this remarkably civil thread.

(I was recently dinged for calling a troll a bad name)

I can only add my own experience. I have owned and ridden a number of other Japanese bikes (primarily Fuji, Bridgestone, and Centurion) and, generally, found the rides comparable to the USA and Italian bikes from the same era I have experienced.

The Miyatas were different. I owned a 1984 1000 and a 1986 Team, both in superb condition with original components. Perhaps because of the triple splined tubes, they are the stiffest C&V bikes I have ridden. Oh and blue paint was great, particularly the cobalt on the 1000. Unfortunately, both were too small and I sold them for an obscene amount of money.

Last edited by RFC; 06-01-13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-01-13, 08:28 AM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
The used bike market in general must be soft right now. Maybe because college students are graduating and don't need a bike? I dunno. I have a 1989 914 with 105 7 speed indexed, ready to ride overhauled condition, no hits at all at $275.

I guess even though it's a nice STB tubed frame it's still a 7 speed down tube shifter bike as far as the masses see it. Probably sell for $250 after a while. The college students get graduation cash right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.