Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

sidewalks vs roads

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

sidewalks vs roads

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-17, 03:17 PM
Brenton393

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
sidewalks vs roads

Im in DFW Texas. I live in Bedford and commute to Colleyville. The traffic is fast and busy enough i don't feel comfortable using the roads. Im new to biking so I'm nervous about commuting to work using roads, but luckily 2 out of 5 miles of it is a bike trail. The best route has about 2 miles of a 2 way road that has no sidewalks. In texas their isn't a rule against biking on a sidewalk, but I'm wondering if its considered rude. Also what do you guys consider unsafe. for example, should i avoid roads with traffic over 30mph?
Old 04-07-17, 03:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
If there's no law saying you can't you're within your rights to ride on the sidewalk.

As to whether it's rude, or even you should, that depends on how busy he walk is, and how you handle it. If there's no pedestrians, it's strictly no harm, no foul. If there are a few pedestrians, then courtesy dictates that you slow down and maneuver around them at a speed and distance that shouldn't ruffle feathers. If it's a busy sidewalk, then maybe you shouldn't try to ride on it at all.

So, like so many things in life, it's a question of the situation, your judgement, and courtesy and respect for others.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-07-17, 04:57 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Well said above ^

Originally Posted by Brenton393
... Also what do you guys consider unsafe. for example, should i avoid roads with traffic over 30mph?
Around where I live, roads are generally small/no shoulder 2-laners with traffic moving 5-10 over the limit. Posted 40mph defines the major arterial roads that I try to avoid (even w/good shoulders), while 30 and under I'm usually fine. 35mph depends on traffic volume and/or shoulder. Biggest thing that worries me on the straighter, faster posted arterial roads is that drivers start using phones more, and expect bicycles less.
Old 04-07-17, 05:16 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Brenton393
...The traffic is fast and busy enough i don't feel comfortable using the roads. I'm new to biking so I'm nervous about commuting to work using roads, but luckily 2 out of 5 miles of It is a bike trail. The best route has about 2 miles of a 2 way road that has no sidewalks.

In texas their isn't a rule against biking on a sidewalk, but I'm wondering if its considered rude. Also what do you guys consider unsafe. for example, should i avoid roads with traffic over 30mph?
I previously replied to this recent thread on this perennial subject:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Riding on sidewalk revisited
Originally Posted by mcours2006
...is something that's always been frowned upon, at least around here. Cars don't see you crossing a road. There are pedestrians, as well as many other hazards that make it more dangerous than on the road. However, there are times when it is a way better option than staying on the road...

I don't think I even consider doing it because of all the discussions I've read and participated in regarding the hazards of riding on the sidewalk. But having done it and feeling good about it I won't hesitate to do so if the situation warrants it.
On a previous visit to the topic of sidewalk riding, I posted:
...Last week I visited the family in Macomb County, MI. IMO, that is some of the nastiest road riding I have ever encountered.The main roads, to get anywhere, are six lane concrete slabs with bumps about every 20 feet, and many cracks and potholes especially on the right, with no shoulders, and heavy, zooming traffic with little patience for (slow) cyclists. Sidewalks alongside are frequently discontinuous, and often non-existent.

Even as an experienced urban commuter, I will often flee to the sidewalks, little used by pedestrians out in suburbia. Some major roads though, like Schoenherr and Gratiot do have continuous sidewalks for long distances. I have developed a technique for riding under such circumstances I call bolus riding.” (Bolus = “a small rounded mass of a substance, especiallyof chewed food at the moment of swallowing”; think of swallowed food as it passes down the esophagus.)

Since the flow of traffic is coordinated by traffic signals, traffic usually flows as a bolus. So using my rearview mirror, when I see a bolus of cars behind me, I go onto a driveway or intersecting street (all with sidewalk curb cuts) and on to the sidewalk. After the bolus passes as seen in the mirror I go back onto the street where I can ride much faster, until the next bolus of cars arrives. I estimate that more than one-half of the distance can be ridden comfortably on these otherwise hazardous roads.

I used to feel resentful that I was self-relegated off to the sidewalks, but now I accept it as the way it is. Im a visitor, and must accommodate. To further the evolutionary analogy I am a small furry mammal (cyclist), whose survival depends on avoiding being trampled by the dinosaurs (autos), whose evolutionary pathway may eventually lead to much less ferocious lizards.
As noted above, if I have one piece of advice for riding in the road, it's wear a rearview mirror.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-07-17 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-07-17, 05:26 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
One possible reason you might not want to ride on sidewalks is it actually increases the likelihood of getting hit by a car at an intersection or driveway, because they aren't expecting you to be on the sidewalk.
Old 04-07-17, 09:11 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I previously replied to this recent thread on this perennial subject:As noted above, if I have one piece of advice for riding in the road, it's wear a rearview mirror.
I second Jim's advice regarding the rear view mirror and as a birth Michigander (Oak Park) creative and careful use of sidewalks on the suburban midwestern rides.
Old 04-07-17, 09:15 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I do not ride on sidewalks. Of course once and a while I may jump on one for a second to avoid a road hazard but as a rule, just no. I travel way to fast to mix with pedestrian and children and dogs on leashes. And it really can be dangerous as you have no right away crossing roads and vehicles may often block, rather quickly, a sidewalk and run over you as they back down to the road or pull in from the road to a drive or access road.

Sidewalks just do not work for serious cycling.
Old 04-08-17, 02:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check out the Bike Friendly Mid Cities group on Facebook. I know some of those folks, they're great people. Join them for some casual group rides. For that matter join us in Fort Worth for various group rides, including the monthly Critical Mass ride (last Friday of the month, meetup in Burnett Park starts at 7 pm, ride usually begins between 7:30-8, depending on the group size). There are several groups that meet for casual rides, pretty much every week. You'll gain confidence and learn more about which streets and times of day/night are best for cyclists.

Regarding riding the sidewalk... this is Texas. Like the Missing Persons song said, nobody walks in LA or Texas. Seriously, there are few places where a cyclist will even encounter a pedestrian. I can ride for miles in my area and hardly see a pedestrian on the sidewalk, other than a few folks waiting by bus stops. The only place I won't ride on the sidewalk is downtown. Just outside of downtown I'll occasionally detour a block along a sidewalk because of construction or inconvenient one-way streets. On the rare occasion I encounter a pedestrian I always give them plenty of room. If it's a disabled person on a walker, cane, wheelchair, etc., I stop and let them pass or get off and walk my bike. My mom is disabled and easily startled, so I won't take the risk of anyone losing their balance and falling on my account.

At the same time, keep in mind that most multi-use paths are little more than sidewalks through greenways or along rivers. Most of the Trinity Trails' paved MUP is just a narrow sidewalk, no different in any way from a city or suburban sidewalk. Yet I see wannabe roadies racing along at 20 mph threading between walkers and joggers, barely giving people any warning or consideration. I see this every single time I ride the trails. But in almost two years back in the saddle I've seen this lack of consideration exactly once on public sidewalks, when a fellow was zipping along just a little fast on a sidewalk used by pedestrians. It just isn't often a problem in Texas because hardly anyone walks, and the old shopping strip/mall paradigm is dead. Most of the places that built sidewalks are out of business now. Those sidewalks could easily be redesignated MUPs or bike paths. The only problem is the intersections.

So go ahead and ride the sidewalk while you're getting into shape. I did back in 2015 when I resumed cycling after a 30 year hiatus. I could barely ride 400 yards without needing to stop and wheeze (asthma and various other ailments). So for a few weeks I was nowhere near ready to tackle traffic.

Do be careful. Eyes on stalks, head on a swivel. Cars won't be looking for you entering or exiting parking lots, intersections, etc. Trees and parked cars can make you invisible to cars. Take it slow. Usually anywhere from slightly faster than a walking/jogging pace up to 10 mph is okay.

Now I can cruise at 12-15 mph and am comfortable riding in traffic on most streets. There are a few I avoid, at least during peak hours. For example, Camp Bowie Blvd from near the intersection with I-30 to downtown is pretty busy during the day, even on weekends. I have ridden it a few times when I needed to, but usually I ride around it on the parallel streets. But at night it's basically deserted. And there are a few busy two-lane rural roads I'd avoid because I'm not fast enough, although I know some fast riders who average 20-25 mph who do ride those small highways.

Mirrors are a good idea. I use 'em because a neck injury limits my mobility. Not everyone uses or likes them. I like the Mirrycle handlebar mirrors -- they tough, highly adjustable and affordable. I also use a helmet mirror now, but had a heck of a time adapting to it -- took weeks to get used to it, now I really depend on it, but it wasn't easy. The handlebar mirror was just like driving a car or riding a motorcycle, no problems.

Last edited by canklecat; 04-08-17 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-08-17, 03:35 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Where I am, I generally ride on the streets. There is an ordinance regarding not riding bikes on the sidewalks. But then, I've no problem doing so in hazardous situations. I simply tone down the riding. "Serious" cycling needs to be done where it can be done safely, and where folks expect it to be done, and where it's unlikely to injure others. But with typical, lower-key "commuting" style cycling, I'm of the "no harm, no foul" opinion. I certainly ride much more cautiously, treating pedestrians as having the general right of way. But I also expect them to keep their ears/eyes opened and to not do anything foolish once they're aware I'm nearby. I don't push it. But I don't expect much. Works very well. And most everyone is accommodating.

YMMV, depending on how many sticklers you tend to have in your own community. In mine, generally if there's no threat and no harm, so long as folks go about responsibly, then there's no problem ... irrespective of the fact that the ordinance is on the books.
Old 04-08-17, 03:40 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I use sidewalks that have few or no driveways. In residential areas you are very vulnerable to drivers entering and exiting driveways. Here in Michigan the State Police have told me there are 5 times more injuries from cyclists riding sidewalks than on the road.

Marc
Old 04-08-17, 08:33 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I like this thread. Lots of good advice, and polite, thoughtful discourse...at least so far.
Old 04-08-17, 09:04 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I second Jim's advice regarding the rear view mirror and as a birth Michigander (Oak Park) creative and careful use of sidewalks on the suburban midwestern rides.
Thanks for seconding my opinions @(fellow Bostonian) Archwhorides. I recently replies to a couple of denizens of the Birmingham / Bloomfield Hills area,
Again, “Hi” as a Michigan native. I have posted previously that Michiganians always seem to find each other... [I'm from the East Side on Outer Drive, about a mile from the City Airport, St. David High School.]

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-08-17 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-08-17, 09:57 AM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's an ordinance in town stating that bikes must be ridden on the sidewalk, I think "usable path" is the actual verbiage. Now, considering that most of the sidewalks are overgrown with goatheads and are usually jagged and/or missing and that I've gotten way more flats riding there, I tend to stay off. Interestingly enough, the only ones kept up are next to the main thoroughfares, so I use those.

We also just passed an ordinance stating that it is unlawful to use a cell phone at all while driving. This last week or so has been relatively stress free commuting.
Old 04-08-17, 11:08 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaelen
There's an ordinance in town stating that bikes must be ridden on the sidewalk,
Wichita Falls ordinance 102-256 says that cyclists must use a usable bicycle path where there is one adjacent to the roadway. Sidewalks are not classified as 'bicycle paths' since they have other functions although bicyclists are allowed to use them as well.
Old 04-08-17, 11:13 AM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Wichita Falls ordinance 102-256 says that cyclists must use a usable bicycle path where there is one adjacent to the roadway. Sidewalks are not classified as 'bicycle paths' since they have other functions although bicyclists are allowed to use them as well.
Then I won't feel bad for not using them!
Old 04-08-17, 05:31 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I ride wherever I feel safest and that is very often on a sidewalk. BTW, I'm also a former Cat 1 racer so have plenty of experience riding on the road.

Nearly half of all bicycle fatalities in the U.S. are people being hit from behind while riding in the road. The U.S. has, largely alone, promoted riding in the road instead of bikeways or sidewalks for the past 40 years. This chart shows the result of that versus other countries.

On a sidewalk you have control over situations that you do not on the road. You immediately remove about half the threat of death or injury with hit from behind. You can more easily navigate junctions and other bits at your own pace without worrying about cars behind you.
Old 04-08-17, 06:58 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I previously replied to this recent thread on this perennial subject:As noted above, if I have one piece of advice for riding in the road, it's wear a rearview mirror.
Jim:

I have been using your "Bolus" system of riding in cities for many years. I"m glad I have a name for it because Effective Cycling expects you to hold your position in the street. The League of American Cyclist don't want you on the sidewalk and believe your position is no different than any SUV or truck on the street. That is far from reality.
Old 04-08-17, 08:47 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in a rural area, outside a city of 465 people. On occasion, I have to go to the huge metro (pop. 20,000) about 20 miles away. I have several of the higher rated, and regarded, taillights flashing and blinking along with a safety colored vest. I ride the two lane highways, no shoulder, into town. Of course my mirrors provide me with advance warning of cars from behind but they really are not a problem. Most will move into the oncoming lane to give me room and those that don't will at least straddle the "white"--center line. The two major problems are blue color work trucks---construction, tow, utility and the like along with......Rickey racers coming the other way that have to pass anything moving three feet an hour slower than they are and come at me head on from the other direction, despite the double yellow center lines.
Old 04-09-17, 09:25 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Check your local laws. Where I am, it is not normally allowed for bikes to ride on the sidewalk. Sometimes I do, but whenever I do I ride with the very self-conscious mentality that any pedestrians I encounter have the right of way. I approach slowly, possibly hop down off the curb to go around them, if coming up to them from behind, I don't even request to pass, like I would if I was on a MUP. Usually I plan to pass by hopping down the curb and dismounting to step back up, but pedestrians usually see me and step out of my way first, in which case I always pass slowly and say Thanks

However, I realize I am in a pretty sweet situation, bike-riding-wise, here in suburban SoCal. Almost everywhere I ride has generous bike lanes and drivers that are used to seeing bicycles and sharing the road with them. DFW is probably a different universe, and you need to ride differently than I can to stay safe.
Old 04-09-17, 09:32 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Jim:

I have been using your "Bolus" system of riding in cities for many years. I"m glad I have a name for it because Effective Cycling expects you to hold your position in the street. The League of American Cyclist don't want you on the sidewalk and believe your position is no different than any SUV or truck on the street. That is far from reality.
Jim from Boston, I actually took the trouble to read your post because Dahon.Steve quoted a particular part of it!

The concept you call "Bolus" I have heard other cycling safety teachers describe as, stoplights cause cars to be grouped into 'cohorts'. It is very useful to learn to recognize this cohort pattern and be able to take advantage of it.
Old 04-09-17, 03:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Also, @Brenton393, if you check Strava, Ride With GPS, Map My Ride and similar apps you can see which routes other cyclists in your area are using. Strava is easy to start with, and the free version does pretty much everything you'd need.

Check the public streets used by folks who average only 10-12 mph or so. Those are usually safe for ordinary loafcyclists like us. Often they've found workarounds to avoid the most stressful roads while still getting where they want to go.

I know some faster cyclists who ride roads I wouldn't, at least not during peak traffic hours, but I can't average 20 mph or faster over long distances like they can.
Old 04-09-17, 04:13 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Jim from Boston, I actually took the trouble to read your post because Dahon.Steve quoted a particular part of it!

The concept you call "Bolus" I have heard other cycling safety teachers describe as, stoplights cause cars to be grouped into 'cohorts'. It is very useful to learn to recognize this cohort pattern and be able to take advantage of it.
Thanks for your note. that term is certainly more familiar to the general readership, though I think "bolus" is more descriptive as a concept in motion, to those who know what it means.
Old 04-09-17, 04:33 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Jim:

Thanks for your comment, The streets I have used it on have frequent driveways to access the side walk as needed.

In fact for those who live in Macomb County, I found that Schoenerr has a continuous sidewalk for the segment I ride, from Masonic to the Metropolitan Beach Bikepath. It's the most comfortable route to that path from Fraser, where I start. Garfield and Utica Roads are tough, as I described.
...Last week I visited the family in Macomb County, MI. IMO,that is some of the nastiest road riding I have ever encountered.The main roads, to get anywhere, are six lane concrete slabs with bumps about every 20 feet, and many cracks and potholes especially on the right, with no shoulders, and heavy, zooming traffic with little patience for (slow) cyclists. Sidewalks alongside are frequently discontinuous, and often non-existent.

Even as an experienced urban commuter, I will often flee to the sidewalks, little used by pedestrians out in suburbia. Some major roads though, like Schoenherr and Gratiot do have continuous sidewalks for long distances. I have developed a technique for riding under such circumstances I call bolus riding

I used to feel resentful that I was self-relegated off to the sidewalks, but now I accept it as the way it is…
In the three or so miles on the sidewalk, I might encounter a single pedestrian.
Old 04-09-17, 05:41 PM
RickyD

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge elite dsw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride some sidewalk on my commute to and from work, about 1-1/2 miles each way. I slow down for the occasional pedestrian and people at bus stops. Also a quick "Good morning" or Hello go along ways. I slow down too.
Old 04-09-17, 08:53 PM
stdlrf11
Living the Dream

Bikes: 2015 AWOL Frameset with custom drivetrain, 20?? Windsor Tourist, 2010 Specialized Secteur

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the suggestion to get in touch with Bike Friendly Mid-Cities.

Eric and his group are awesome. They'll help you find the best route and help get you comfortable with riding on the roads, where applicable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.