Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Low vs. High Mount Ft. Derailleur

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 04:28 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Several years ago I had ordered a high mount XT front DR for a new build. The mount band landed right at the lower boss for a bottle cage bolt. So, I used a low mount Deore DR to get around the problem.

I'm starting a new build and have found that the high mount DR will fit without any clearance problems.

Now the question.......

Is there any actual performance difference between a high and low mount DR. The Deore low mount DR has worked without problems of any sort and I would order another one it it would be better in any way. But...I do have the high mount DR laying around.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 05-25-17, 04:32 PM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
For me, no performance difference. If it shifts precisely, it's good. It's not like brakes that you need more braking power at times.
Old 05-25-17, 04:41 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd imagine the low mount being slightly less bendy due to the location of the fixture, but otherwise probably the same in performance.
Old 05-26-17, 07:23 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
Several years ago I had ordered a high mount XT front DR for a new build. The mount band landed right at the lower boss for a bottle cage bolt. So, I used a low mount Deore DR to get around the problem.

I'm starting a new build and have found that the high mount DR will fit without any clearance problems.

Now the question.......

Is there any actual performance difference between a high and low mount DR. The Deore low mount DR has worked without problems of any sort and I would order another one it it would be better in any way. But...I do have the high mount DR laying around.

Thanks,
Greg
They are called "bottom swing" and "top swing". The "high mount" is the bottom swing because it swings from the bottom of the clamp while the low mount swings from the top.

I prefer the bottom swing because it has more freedom of movement and the mechanism seems to have better leverage. The bottom swing derailer can move inboard further than the top swing because the parallelogram mechanism isn't hitting up against the frame. To me, shifts on top swings just seem a bit slower and requires more force on the shifter to make the shift.

A caveat: I only have 2 top swing derailers on bikes currently. One is a Shimano XT and the other is a Sram X9. The X9 works better than the Shimano but I've found that to be true of all varieties of front derailers. Shimano's cheap front derailers (road and mountain) are far better performers than their more expensive offerings but even their cheap front derailers don't perform as well as any Sram unit.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-26-17, 08:48 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Either type will work similarly as long as there isn't a limiting factor like a bottle cage getting in the way. Go ahead and use the derailleur you have laying around.

Generally speaking, if I'm grabbing a derailleur from the parts bin, I have a slight preference for bottom-swing ("high mount") derailleurs because the cage's inboard travel isn't as likely to be limited by the clamp and mechanism.
Old 06-05-17, 04:09 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, guys. Sorry for the break in the thread. We've all (my family) have known for the last 4 years that mom would have to move. I did a bit at first and then laid back, still in the starting blocks for the gun. Every holiday I wondered if we are going to get started clearing out 60 years of stuff. No mention. So, last week the starter's gun went off and the race was on----we gotta get this **** outta here. No prob. I've got what I want, take all that's left. No good. I've spent the last week at mom's going through box after box after box of stuff. Those of you that have been there know full well what I mean. Mom reading letters from fifty years ago. Kept her busy and out of our hair!!

Originally Posted by cyccommute
They are called "bottom swing" and "top swing". The "high mount" is the bottom swing because it swings from the bottom of the clamp while the low mount swings from the top.
I knew that they were called something that I couldn't remember. So I looked on the Universal Cycles web page. Hell, they call them "High Clamp" and "Low Clamp". I even got that wrong. But, Stuart came up with the terms that I was looking for----high/low swing.

I have the XT, I hope High Clamp/Low swing on the frame and will carry on.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-17, 08:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
There is a top swing, bottom swing to various FD, too... traditional type is, high mount, top swing.

problem potential is with the index shifter cable pull not in synch with the cable pull requirement of the FD,

(friction shifting FTW, there, again)

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-06-17 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-06-17, 08:31 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Greg, Now that the terminology is straightened out I haven't noticed any difference between shifting a top swing vs. a bottom swing FD.

Brad