Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Would It Be Ok To Leave My Bike Out Almost Everyday, for 8.5 hours?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Would It Be Ok To Leave My Bike Out Almost Everyday, for 8.5 hours?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 10:53 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Sunlight definitely deteriorates organic materials. I have a bike that is more faded on one side than the other due to probably being stored outside in one orientation for a long time. Black materials are less susceptible to damage because the pigments block most of the sunlight. But you might find yourself replacing consumable items such as tires and brake shoes more often.
The paint on my old bike has become extensively cracked and become very fragile over the years which I blame on sunlight, heat, and UV exposure (decades?)

Nonetheless, the bike itself seems solid.

I now have a dedicated "rain bike" which I use in the winter, and keep the old steel bike inside.
Old 08-02-17, 01:31 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only I did special was to use a saddle cover on sunny summer days. Not for the saddle---it didn't burn my butt when I rode home.
Old 08-03-17, 09:26 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Well, my fellow commuters at work (three that I know of) use the same Performance cover over our bikes. These keep harmful UV away from rubber bits (including most of the tires) as well as off the handlebars, finish, and saddle. I place an additional plastic bag or Brooks cover over my saddle beneath the larger bike cover, on days when I expect significant rain. I don't want to be in the business of prematurely replacing hoods and tape or have broken plastic bits (think brifters) because of sun exposure. This is just common sense to me...
Old 08-03-17, 12:45 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RunForTheHills
You don't really believe that do you? I have had one of my bikes for over 35 years and still love riding it. Take care of your tools and they will last you a lifetime.
Yes, I do. Most of our possessions are disposable tools. I place my effort into people. Even our car that we love (2011 Golf 1.2 TSi) is a disposable tool.

We invest money in the house and life experience (travel, living abroad) but not so much in possessions.

I just bought a used 2008 24" iMac for example.

I'm NOT saying to waste the possessions, just not to invest irrelevant money into them ... hence my decisions about my ride.

edit: As far as lasting a lifetime, perhaps, but at some point the cost outweighs the benefit and that's where I deploy my money elsewhere. For example, I just did a week of camping in SLC with a pack that I initially spent 2500 SEK (308 USD) in 2008 and it's still giving my camping trousers were bought in 2010 for €120 and luckily still fit We'll see what kind of usage I can get out of them.

Last edited by acidfast7; 08-03-17 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-03-17, 02:02 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by RunForTheHills
You don't really believe that do you? I have had one of my bikes for over 35 years and still love riding it. Take care of your tools and they will last you a lifetime.
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...term-test.html

Everything we have is disposable. The question is how long before disposal. I take reasonable care of my bikes but I don't spend an inordinate amount of time and money doing so. My Dutch bikes can stay outside for decades and not be much different nor require much more maintenance than if I'd hauled them in every night. OTOH, I'd not lean them against a post or something that might scratch them. They truly are nearly indestructible tools for getting me and stuff where I need to go reliably, quickly and comfortably.

My CF road bike stays inside but that likely has more to do with knowing that leaving it out would create more routine maintenance than I already have to put in to it.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 08-03-17 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-03-17, 02:12 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...term-test.html

Everything we have is disposable. The question is how long before disposal. I take reasonable care of my bikes but I don't spend an inordinate amount of time and money doing so. My Dutch bikes can stay outside for decades and not be much different nor require much more maintenance than if I'd hauled them in every night. OTOH, I'd not lean them against a post or something that might scratch them. They truly are nearly indestructible tools for getting me and stuff where I need to go reliably, quickly and comfortably.

My CF road bike stays inside but that likely has more to do with knowing that leaving it out would create more routine maintenance than I already have to put in to it.
I believe that theft is the biggest issue that forces bike replacement.
Old 08-03-17, 02:16 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I suppose another option is just a colored plastic bag over the seat when it's parked.
+1 The plastic bag over the seat trick for rainy days FTW. I also carrry a second plastic bag on those days to put my clothing into. Then that goes into my backpack (since its not completely water tight).
Old 08-03-17, 02:19 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
In other words, you are looking for some funbags. Aren't we all...
Must... resist... commenting....