Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Help - Which lane do I remain in for Right turn?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Help - Which lane do I remain in for Right turn?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 08:25 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by maiaro
Thank you for this advice, too. My destination is next to a highway exit, so I don't think it's safe turning into the parking lot with cars getting off the nearby highway onto the road I'll be crossing (it's already a nuisance in a car). I looked at some alternatives. The route has a nice bike lane, and I found I can just R-turn into a back parking lot that will take me to my building.

As for going home, I had planned to do a "box left turn" or use the back parking lot again. We don't have those green bike boxes at the intersection I'm on, which would be nice, but I looked at diagrams that show me to go straight across the intersection, then move off to the right near the corner across the perpendicular cross walk and reorient my bike in the new direction. It looks odd to me, knowing how I lose my rights if I ride on a crosswalk, but I'm only crossing it to turn my bike around eventually. I wish I could post an image, but I think you might know what I'm referring to. I hope I am interpreting this left turn correctly though. From diagrams, that's what it looks like.

Thanks again.
As a very old cyclist who learned how to play in traffic before those stupid green boxes started appearing everywhere, I would caution against depending on them too much. The placement of the boxes lulls you into bad habits that can, ultimately, be dangerous.

Using mcours2006's link again as illustration, that box next to the truck should be avoided while the truck is making a right turn. He will have to swing wide on the turn and you could find yourself in between a truck and a car. They would pop you like a engorged tick!

When making the left turn at night, make the left turn from the left lane. Get in line behind the cars in the middle of the lane and proceed like you would in a car. Don't try to filter forward because that puts you in an unexpected place for the drivers and, again, that's a good way of doing some tick popping.

Just stay in the left turn lane and wait your turn. As you make the turn, swing a bit further right at the end of the turn to get into the bike lane. Cars can't really go around the corner much faster than you can and they (probably) won't try to run you over. They also have 3 lanes to choose from so they won't be angling for the bike lane.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-23-17, 10:26 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
If you're in the bike lane turning right, you stay in the bike lane and make the right turn. If you're in the bike lane going straight, it's safer to leave the bike lane and take the lane to ensure a motorist doesn't turn across your path.

You should not leave the bike lane and take the lane when making a right turn, because then you'd be turning across the bike lane, which is both dangerous and unlawful.

The SFBike infographic above is correct, for both motorist and cyclist.
I contend that it is unsafe to take the inside line around a right corner with traffic also turning right (on your left) - I don't think I've ever seen a right turn bike lane marked like you're proposing - that's why bike lanes generally disappear before intersections with right turn lanes. Whether there's a right turn dedicated car lane or an optional right turn lane, the best, safest, defensible place to position yourself for a right turn is in the lane with traffic.

The graphic from SFBC doesn't show a right turn lane for either cars or bikes, and doesn't show a bike turning right - what it shows is correct, but it's not relevant to this conversation.

https://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/cam...014-Chap9C.pdf
06 A through bicycle lane shall not be positioned to the right of a right turn only lane or to the left of a left
turn only lane.
Support:
07 A bicyclist continuing straight through an intersection from the right of a right-turn lane or from the left of a
left-turn lane would be inconsistent with normal traffic behavior and would violate the expectations of right- or
left-turning motorists.
Guidance:
08 When the right through lane is dropped to become a right turn only lane, the bicycle lane markings should
stop at least 100 feet before the beginning of the right-turn lane.
Through bicycle lane markings should resume to
the left of the right turn only lane.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 10-23-17 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-23-17, 12:04 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I contend that it is unsafe to take the inside line around a right corner with traffic also turning right (on your left) - I don't think I've ever seen a right turn bike lane marked like you're proposing - that's why bike lanes generally disappear before intersections with right turn lanes. Whether there's a right turn dedicated car lane or an optional right turn lane, the best, safest, defensible place to position yourself for a right turn is in the lane with traffic.

The graphic from SFBC doesn't show a right turn lane for either cars or bikes, and doesn't show a bike turning right - what it shows is correct, but it's not relevant to this conversation.

You are right. The bike anywhere in that bike lane merge, including parts of the car lane itself, is merging. For safety we need to be merged, behind the car, not beside one.

And looking again at the orange side BTW, the bicyclist can do better there also. In principle I do the same thing as the orange cyclist passing on the left as the car turns, but the orange car isn't even in the intersection yet. It could be a random drift to the right, as some drivers do, and I don't want to be beside him in his blind spot if he corrects and yanks back to the left. The car should commit to the right turn before the cyclist passes on the left.
Old 10-23-17, 12:17 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Sorry, I've been publishing for almost 40 years. Reviewers can be a very mixed bag. They aren't always bad nor are bad reviewers in the majority but they do happen. Wikipedia gets corrected relatively quickly and, most of the time, the information is accurate and cited. Not all that different from peer reviewed journals.

So why all the sturm und drang?

Nope. From Wiktionary:

From Wikipedia:

Same product, same mechanism for data entry, same issues with accuracy. You can't say one is bad and the other is good to prove your point when they are the same product.
Nein.
Old 10-23-17, 12:31 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Might I suggest a new emoticon for this board?

I can guarantee it will be used at least a dozen times a day around here, and would save people a lot of typing.
Old 10-23-17, 12:57 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Might I suggest a new emoticon for this board?

I can guarantee it will be used at least a dozen times a day around here, and would save people a lot of typing.
Nein.
Old 10-24-17, 07:52 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Well sure, I would agree that it's safer to drop the bike lane before an intersection, and make the right turn from within the RTO lane. But there are MANY places where there is no dedicated RTO lane, and the bike lane (should be) dashed as it approaches the intersection. That way a car can merge into the bike lane to make a right turn, to prevent a right hook. If you leave the bike lane with the intention of turning right, then you could have other cyclists come up behind you, still in the bike lane, going straight. Then how do you make your right? Wait for them to clear, while holding up traffic behind you, and turn across the bike lane? Try to bully your way across their path in front of them?

My point is, don't turn across the bike lane, whether in a car or on a bicycle. *edit* except when there's a large truck turning. Never be to the right of a large truck that's also turning right. Stay behind it.

BTW I did see a photo on Facebook just last week of a bike lane along a busy road, which changed to dashed lines, and then a RTO traffic lane appeared to the right of the bike lane leading up to the intersection (very common design in Florida). But then another bike lane also continued off to the right of the RTO lane, and it was marked as a RTO bike lane. In that instance I think the laws (exceptions) applying to dual right-turn lanes would be applied there.

*edit* like this: https://goo.gl/maps/EzPbiK2YUJq

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 10-24-17 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-24-17, 10:18 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Yup, never seen that kind of lane marking before - but it does look like it would work at that location because of the long radius corner - especially if it's a protected green lane.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 10-24-17 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-24-17, 03:09 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
This is a right hook and probably isn't good for the validity of your 3rd dimension.
Is that just a fancy way of saying 'u mite get skwished'?
Old 10-24-17, 04:23 PM
alan s 

Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Never get into an argument with a pedantic German.
Old 10-24-17, 04:49 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Never get into an argument with a Sicilian WHEN DEATH IS ON THE LINE
Old 10-24-17, 09:33 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Always make right turns from as near as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway.

- state law in 49 US states, all except Oregon.

This.
Old 10-25-17, 06:53 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
This.
I don't understand the rationale behind that requirement, especially in a dedicated turning lane. I treat a right turning lane the same as a left turning lane, where I take the lane and make the turn. Perfectly in line with my state laws.

BTW OP, I would never make a right turn from the bike lane, simply because on a bike your actions should be predictable; the bike lane is for cyclists going straight thru the intersection. If you want to make a right, take the lane, you are part of traffic, it's the right thing to do. Sometimes, because of road conditions we can't give handsignals, so you being in the turning lane lets others know you're turning, staying in the bike lane signals that you're going straight.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

(5)(a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride in the lane marked for bicycle use or, if no lane is marked for bicycle use, as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:
1. When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
2. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
3. When reasonably necessary to avoid any condition or potential conflict, including, but not limited to, a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, bicycle, pedestrian, animal, surface hazard, turn lane, or substandard-width lane, which makes it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge or within a bicycle lane. For the purposes of this subsection, a “substandard-width lane” is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
Old 10-25-17, 07:56 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I don't understand the rationale behind that requirement, especially in a dedicated turning lane. I treat a right turning lane the same as a left turning lane, where I take the lane and make the turn. Perfectly in line with my state laws.

Well if you're in a car, in the RTO lane, then usually you're already "as near as practicable" to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway. But that also covers roads without RTO lanes, making it clear that you must use the right lane to make a right turn, meaning that turning across the right lane from another lane is illegal. And if there's a bike lane to the right of that right-hand travel lane, you should merge into the bike lane (when it's clear) to prevent cyclists from coming up on your right side.

If there's a RTO lane and you're on a bike and turning right, then stay center or left of center in the RTO lane, more or less in line with the drivers of the other vehicles, for best visibility.

I think that right turning law would apply to cyclists in that, if the RTO lane is to the right of a thru bike lane (as it should be), then right turning cyclist should use that RTO lane, instead of trying to turn right from the bike lane by turning ACROSS the RTO lane.
Old 10-25-17, 08:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Is that just a fancy way of saying 'u mite get skwished'?
I think of it as a more elegant way of saying 'u mite get skwished'. But, yes, it's the same thing.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-25-17, 11:01 AM
alan s 

Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Never get into an argument with a Sicilian WHEN DEATH IS ON THE LINE
Old 10-25-17, 11:07 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by alan s
I always remember that scene for "never fight a land war in Asia." (paraphrased).
Old 10-25-17, 12:50 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
Well if you're in a car, in the RTO lane, then usually you're already "as near as practicable" to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway. But that also covers roads without RTO lanes, making it clear that you must use the right lane to make a right turn, meaning that turning across the right lane from another lane is illegal. And if there's a bike lane to the right of that right-hand travel lane, you should merge into the bike lane (when it's clear) to prevent cyclists from coming up on your right side.

If there's a RTO lane and you're on a bike and turning right, then stay center or left of center in the RTO lane, more or less in line with the drivers of the other vehicles, for best visibility.

I think that right turning law would apply to cyclists in that, if the RTO lane is to the right of a thru bike lane (as it should be), then right turning cyclist should use that RTO lane, instead of trying to turn right from the bike lane by turning ACROSS the RTO lane.
"Well if you're in a car, in the RTO lane,..."

Yes, then that quoted statement makes sense; I was reading it from a cyclist's perspective....
Old 10-26-17, 12:27 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
You should probably (1) merge in with the right-turning cars - so it'll be clear what you're doing, and no one will try to squeeze you out or give you the hook. Take the lane until you're around the corner, and then move over when you're through. Use your signals and get eye-contact... drivers understand and appreciate that.

(1) I say "probably" because I don't know this corner - might not be appropriate for all corners.
This is pretty much the most practical, realistic, and predictable thing you can do. There may be some specific intersections where it doesn't apply, but this is good general advice.