Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Adding Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 12:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,232 Posts

Now that is aesthetically ........................... unique!?!
Old 12-28-17, 04:31 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I have the hammered aluminum fenders from Velo-Orange on a couple bikes. The hammered finish hides scratches better than a polished finish, and being metal, they don't shatter in cold weather like plastic fenders.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/fenders
Old 12-28-17, 04:38 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I l’ve used yellow Panet Bike’s for many years now, more than 10, I believe:

Those purple rims...love that look!
Old 12-28-17, 04:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I think this is "big fish in a little pond" kind of thinking. The cross-section of a bike is pretty small from the rear (or from the front). You're worried about the color of a 1.5" x 15" strip of plastic down near the road surface.

I've got a Showers Pass Transit jacket in bright yellow, the color you're asking for. It's got a reflective strip across the back that's got about the same surface area as the visible fender, and that reflective stripe is less than a tenth of the visible area of the jacket!

You can, if it bothers you, add reflective tape of your choice of colors to the fender. If you want to be seen, better get a screaming bright jacket to wear in the rain.
Yes, the area of a fender is relatively small. I often wear a Showers Pass Jacket, but when it warms up, the jacket comes off and most jerseys are not as bright. And yes, you can add reflecting tape to fenders. I do, But it looks half-***ed on a custom road bike. A fender of yellow plastic would always look good and more important, always be there, regardless of whether the jacket was on my back or rolled up in a pocket. I see the yellow fender as a simple win-win. It looks good and it might just maybe make a real difference just once. So why not?

Ben
Old 12-28-17, 08:25 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I have the hammered aluminum fenders from Velo-Orange on a couple bikes. The hammered finish hides scratches better than a polished finish, and being metal, they don't shatter in cold weather like plastic fenders.

How cold does it get where you ride, that it shatters plastic? Do your car's grill, bumpers, and head- and tail-light lenses shatter too?

Is this just something you heard of second- or third-hand, or did it happen to you, personally? The reason I ask is that, in my whole 68 years, I've only had one experience of plastic shattering in the cold. That was the Blizzard of '78; it hit while we were on a grocery run and by the time we headed home, the road was drifted over and we had to hike the groceries most of a mile home. The plastic grocery sacks shattered; nothing else. We had to go back with a kids' wagon to retrieve some dropped items; there might have been other cold-related losses, but I don't recall.
Old 12-28-17, 09:59 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
How cold does it get where you ride, that it shatters plastic?
High temperature the past couple days has been -5°F.

Is this just something you heard of second- or third-hand, or did it happen to you, personally?
Yes. Otherwise, I wouldn't have mentioned it. My old ESGE fenders held up well in cold, but more modern ones from e.g. Planet Bike have failed. To their credit, they did replace the failed fender, with one that has two braces instead of one. That one has not yet failed.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 12-28-17 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-29-17, 11:09 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
High temperature the past couple days has been -5°F.

Yes. Otherwise, I wouldn't have mentioned it. My old ESGE fenders held up well in cold, but more modern ones from e.g. Planet Bike have failed. To their credit, they did replace the failed fender, with one that has two braces instead of one. That one has not yet failed.
Wow. I'm pretty surprised; it's rare to find bad plastics any more. They could have gotten a contaminated batch of resin, or maybe a mold operator botched the cycle time for a piece and ruined the cure.

The hammered aluminum looks really cool, in any case.
Old 12-29-17, 05:40 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Bare aluminum works for me...
Old 12-29-17, 06:41 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Bare aluminum works for me...
Really? Bare aluminum is messy, dirty, and corrodes easily. Yuck. Especially for foul-weather use, which is what fenders are for.

But maybe you mean clear anodized?
Old 12-29-17, 06:46 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Really? Bare aluminum is messy, dirty, and corrodes easily. Yuck. Especially for foul-weather use, which is what fenders are for.

But maybe you mean clear anodized?
Velo Orange 45mm Facette. On my touring bike. The 'foul-weather bike' has SKS plastic fenders. I don't ride in the winter/roadsalt any more, so winter-time corrosion isn't an issue for me.
Old 12-29-17, 07:38 PM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Those are pretty sweet. I think the snakeskin pattern is even better. Makes me wish I had a bike that would complement them.
Old 12-29-17, 08:13 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Velo Orange 45mm Facette. On my touring bike. The 'foul-weather bike' has SKS plastic fenders. I don't ride in the winter/roadsalt any more, so winter-time corrosion isn't an issue for me.
I would bet those are not bare alu, but anodized.
Old 12-29-17, 11:42 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I have a set of Velo Orange aluminium fenders which are not anodised. Just bare ally. Seems so, anyway - they polish up and it's very much a raw aluminium finish (they're the smooth ones, much as i'd like the hammered one).

I'm only using the rear one, for the solar powered recumbent trike, so being for sunny weather it's not an issue for me.
Old 12-30-17, 08:10 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
I have a set of Velo Orange aluminium fenders which are not anodised. Just bare ally. Seems so, anyway - they polish up and it's very much a raw aluminium finish (they're the smooth ones, much as i'd like the hammered one).

I'm only using the rear one, for the solar powered recumbent trike, so being for sunny weather it's not an issue for me.
Okay. I’m surprised, as my experience with bare aluminum has not suggested that it’d make nice fenders, but I don’t know much about metal working and finishing.
Old 12-30-17, 08:44 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Okay. I’m surprised, as my experience with bare aluminum has not suggested that it’d make nice fenders, but I don’t know much about metal working and finishing.
Bare aluminum is okay as a fender material--the corrosion is self-limiting, to a point. More to the point though... It won't be corrosion that kills the fender. The drawback of metal fenders is them getting dented/dinged in a way that they can't be repaired from...plastic fenders are much more forgiving of that. Aluminum fenders, in particular, are difficult to pull dents from, since they would rather buckle/tear.

Long term metal fenders are typically steel (stainless, now, though Wald still makes chrome-plated ones) or brass, since they tolerate such repairs better.

At the end of the day, though, all fenders are consumable items. One day, they will crack around a mounting point, or buckle as debris is jammed beneath them, and you'll be shopping for new ones. It may take 10 years, but it will happen.
Old 12-30-17, 12:52 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I emailed VO and got a quick reply from a guy named Igor that all of their aluminum fenders are anodized.
Old 12-30-17, 06:31 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Sure, black fenders are ok, but everyone has them. (yawn) Frame colored fenders can give quite a striking look. These Planet Bike fenders were sprayed with Krylon Fusion paint for plastic.

Old 12-31-17, 10:22 AM
New Yorker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the reasons I bought a new bike - a Boulder All Road rando - is just so I can always have fenders; my vintage Trek road bike (maximum tire width 25mm) has seriously limited fender options.

Also, while I like how good fenders keep you drier in the rain, what I really like is how they help keep the drivetrain cleaner; I don’t mind riding in rain, but I’m lazy and hate having to clean/relube chain/gears/sprockets to remove sand, grit and muck. Fenders make my bike maintenance much easier.

Finally, they’re useful even if you avoid the rain and ride after. Large puddles of water are nothin’.

Last edited by New Yorker; 12-31-17 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-31-17, 10:31 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yes, the area of a fender is relatively small. I often wear a Showers Pass Jacket, but when it warms up, the jacket comes off and most jerseys are not as bright. And yes, you can add reflecting tape to fenders. I do, But it looks half-***ed on a custom road bike. A fender of yellow plastic would always look good and more important, always be there, regardless of whether the jacket was on my back or rolled up in a pocket. I see the yellow fender as a simple win-win. It looks good and it might just maybe make a real difference just once. So why not?

Ben
Two different approaches and I like both but yours better.
It makes perfect sense and even if it didn't,
life is too short not to live it as we like.
Old 12-31-17, 12:30 PM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
about 8 years ago, I purchased a Waterford frame and wanted the Honjo zeppelin fenders painted the same "bamboo" color since I was going to have them both aftermarket pinstriped.

Waterford charged $300 to paint the fenders at the same time I ordered the frame.
Old 12-31-17, 01:01 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I l’ve used yellow Panet Bike’s for many years now, more than 10, I believe:

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Sure, black fenders are ok, but everyone has them. (yawn) Frame colored fenders can give quite a striking look. These Planet Bike fenders were sprayed with Krylon Fusion paint for plastic.

Personally I like the black and neutral colors, but the yellow and orange fenders here are striking and attractive. THe closest I come to colored fenders is reflective tape on the rear.
Old 12-31-17, 01:01 PM
RunForTheHills

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by southpier
about 8 years ago, I purchased a Waterford frame and wanted the Honjo zeppelin fenders painted the same "bamboo" color since I was going to have them both aftermarket pinstriped.

Waterford charged $300 to paint the fenders at the same time I ordered the frame.
A few years ago, I had Ed Litton paint a mixte frame I was building up for my wife. I had him paint the fenders and chain guard for it at the same time. I don't remember exactly what he charged me, but it wasn't much more than that ($500?) for the whole project including many modifications to the frame. He also restored a 1971ish Colnago Super frame for me (decals and all) for around $800.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Crank.jpg (84.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg
Colnago_Frame_Painted.jpg (465.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 12-31-17, 02:29 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I suppose that I might worry about the color of my fenders in a few years when I get everything else done that I worry about now. I might even have the fenders that are laying around mounted on the bike by then. When that's done I will probably be OK with the black that they are now.
Old 12-31-17, 06:36 PM
lugsNleather58

Bikes: 1972 Chrome Paramount, 1974 Raleigh International, 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 1986 Trek 520

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Spiffy fenders for your bike...

I'd research polished aluminum fenders -- they are durable and add a touch of class. But they can be pricey, but probably not as pricey as getting fenders painted to match your bike. I'm not certain of the weight of aluminum vs plastic fenders, but you'd want to check that out if weight is a big deal for you.