Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1990) SPECIALIZED Stumpjumper Epic Ultimate

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-24, 09:12 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 02-17-24, 09:55 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
@Portlandjim with the shout out here.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of these for sale...? 23 pounds. Very cool looking with the bracketing on the stays and collars.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 02-17-24, 10:53 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I found one of the more-common XT-equipped versions of this bike in great condition for small money a few years back, and reading the geometry spec's of it had me rushing out to the garage hoping that mine was bigger than the tested 18" model. I was hoping for more top tube length, and mine is at least one size bigger though not much longer in the top tube, maybe 1/4".

Reminding myself that this is a "Norba XC race" style of bike, having a short head tube and long, horizontal 130mm stem.
So many ordinary bikes were also sold with the same sort of "stink bug" rider positioning, something that had me wondering at the time why I so much liked hybrids better than MTB's in those days around 1991 (the hybrids often had riser bars, always much wider than the published 53.5cm width of this bike's bars, with the grips NOT inches below the top of the saddle. The later Aheadset equipped bikes (with their steer tubes castrated to the minimum length needed to secure the stem) kept the tradition alive, only worse, and likely caused 500,000 riders to abandon riding about one week after purchasing their bike. I remember buying an new ($60) un-cut suspension fork crown/steerer for my brand new Univega Carbolite, just to raise the bars a couple of inches, even though I actually was racing Norba XC at the time (and which probably kept me from going over the bars a few times).
Likes For dddd:
Old 02-17-24, 11:35 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I had that exact same bike, however I do not recall it as labeled Epic Ultimate. Was always under the impression the Ultimate model had the titanium lugs. I worked at a Specialized dealer at that time and the Specialized rep had the Ultimate, and mine was simply the S-Works Epic. Have I been mistaken all these years?
Old 02-18-24, 08:41 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd

So many ordinary bikes were also sold with the same sort of "stink bug" rider positioning, something that had me wondering at the time why I so much liked hybrids better than MTB's in those days around 1991 (the hybrids often had riser bars, always much wider than the published 53.5cm width of this bike's bars, with the grips NOT inches below the top of the saddle. The later Aheadset equipped bikes (with their steer tubes castrated to the minimum length needed to secure the stem) kept the tradition alive, only worse, and likely caused 500,000 riders to abandon riding about one week after purchasing their bike. I remember buying an new ($60) un-cut suspension fork crown/steerer for my brand new Univega Carbolite, just to raise the bars a couple of inches, even though I actually was racing Norba XC at the time (and which probably kept me from going over the bars a few times).
the ‘good old days’ lol

cringe when I think of it - some steerers were cut so short it limited the future headset replacement to one with same or lower stack height

heads should have rolled for this … and took the industry too long to right the ship

ironic thing - many casual riders moved to MTBs because road bikes at the time were not properly geared (for any areas other than flat areas) - so they got lower gearing with the MTB - but unfortunately got more weight and the clunky tires and often got the poor riding position
Old 02-20-24, 12:03 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I had that exact same bike, however I do not recall it as labeled Epic Ultimate. Was always under the impression the Ultimate model had the titanium lugs. I worked at a Specialized dealer at that time and the Specialized rep had the Ultimate, and mine was simply the S-Works Epic. Have I been mistaken all these years?
My vague memories agree with yours. Maybe the carbon/Ti model was a later year, and this article is talking about an earlier generation?