Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another Soma PSA - 50% off selected items

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-24, 10:10 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts

I'm very concerned about Soma. Lots of stuff listed this time, including some popular items. The highway one is a personal favorite of mine is also included. So many sales, this can't be sustainable.

Here's a link to the full listing. Please be mindful shipping will be extra. Although I'm waiting for the rush frame to go on sale, I am purchasing a porter rack this go around. Good luck and let me know what you snag!
Old 02-26-24, 11:24 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
I just set up an order for a mini rack and two orders of Neubaum tape.

Total was over $180 with no discount shown.

I will increase my order to ensure I am over $100 (after 50% off) to ensure free shipping and then call it in.

Senrab62 Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 02-26-24, 11:41 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
The bike industry has a very long history of periodic huge swings of fortune, and the industry now seems affected by the wave caused by supply-chain issues a couple of years back.

Industry insiders are sounding extremely gloomy, reminiscent of the period about five years ago when seasonal inventory was being clearance-sale priced as early as May or June. There will be many companies who don't make it this year, or so it seems.

Seems to me that with shops (online and brick) having to nowadays inventory for multiple categories of expensive bikes (road, mtb, gravel, ebike), not to mention sub-categories of those categories, managing anything but virtual inventory is quite the task.

And online retailers and distributors are also suffering. It seems there are perhaps too many players.
Old 02-26-24, 11:50 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,710 Times in 2,613 Posts
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...-bike-division
Old 02-26-24, 12:16 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
Interestingly, the SOMA sales link lists the following items, priced at $40:
[237461] Simplex Revolution 7sp Freewheel (14-28T)

[237462] Simplex Revolution 7sp Freewheel (14-34T)
The picture of the box on their website shows the classic Simplex logo. I had no idea that Simplex was still in business and also had no idea that they ever made freewheels. Anybody have more info on this? Given the dearth of quality freewheels out there, this is interesting, though I'm suspicious, especially given the IRD freewheel debacle of a few years ago.

Likes For davester:
Old 02-26-24, 12:43 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
I just set up an order for a mini rack and two orders of Neubaum tape.

Total was over $180 with no discount shown.

I will increase my order to ensure I am over $100 (after 50% off) to ensure free shipping and then call it in.

Senrab62 Thanks for the heads-up!

So you know in case you missed it on the ad, there's no free shipping on sales and inventory reduction items. To get the discount prices you must use the code given. If you're unsure what your shipping total will be, and racks would qualify as extra, add a note with your order and ask to get the shipping cost before the order is shipped. That way you won't get a "surprise" when your billed later for an unexpected price.

** Free Shipping Offer DOES NOT apply on these Inventory Reduction/Closeout Sales.
If using a mobile device, you will need to click the down arrow on the "Confirm Order"

page to reveal where to add the code. May not work on some tablets. If you make an edit to order in the
cart stage,
you might need to re-enter code at the final stage.
Multiple codes cannot be combined on the same order.

Please check discount is in place before confirming order.

Applies to U.S.: Due to increasing shipping costs due to the supply chain mess, beginning April, 20, 2023, we will be charging a $10 fee on oversized items like wheels, rims, wheels, racks, floor pumps, some baskets, steel bead tires, frame tubing, etc (per box/unit), and frames will be charged $30 if west of
the Mississippi River and $50 east of the Mississippi River.
Thank you for understanding.
See website for policies for Canada and other countries.

- FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $100* -
(Contiguous U.S. orders only. Read exceptions above and on our website)
Likes For Garthr:
Old 02-26-24, 01:40 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by davester

The picture of the box on their website shows the classic Simplex logo. I had no idea that Simplex was still in business and also had no idea that they ever made freewheels. Anybody have more info on this? Given the dearth of quality freewheels out there, this is interesting, though I'm suspicious, especially given the IRD freewheel debacle of a few years ago.

As I understand it "Modern" Simplex has nothing to do with the classic brand -- just IP rights and name applied to new products made in China.
Old 02-26-24, 04:18 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Interestingly,:...

...The picture of the box on their website shows the classic Simplex logo. I had no idea that Simplex was still in business and also had no idea that they ever made freewheels. Anybody have more info on this? Given the dearth of quality freewheels out there, this is interesting, though I'm suspicious, especially given the IRD freewheel debacle of a few years ago.
Simplex chainwheels and freewheels made in France existed up into the 6-speed era, but of course these new freewheels are based on Asian designs, and made in Asian factories.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15585320047...CABEgKCHfD_BwE
Old 02-26-24, 06:12 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Merry Sales is the Wholesale company of which Soma is the retail outlet for them, so to speak. Pretty much any bike shop in America can order from Merry Sales on the wholesale level. They have a HUGE inventory of stuff.

I bought a couple of those Simplex freewheels. I've not ridden one yet. Inside the box it's zip tied to a cardboard backer and wrapped in plastic. The box has no other markings on it other than saying Simplex as pictured. No numbers, no country of manufacture, nothing. That leads me to believe that this is a Merry Sales product and are using the Simplex name. Maybe they bought the rights to the name, I don't know, or maybe there are no rights to buy.

As for the shape of the bike biz and or Soma specifically, "the news of the day" can't be trusted for accuracy or honesty with a ten foot pole. And that's that. Just because Soma is offering these sales doesn't have to mean anything more than that. You know what can be said of ass-umptions and rear ends .... everyone has one and they all stink !
Old 02-26-24, 08:25 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts

the Brand name was purchased. Like Motobecane and others.

For Soma, it might be that as they have a wholesale side, that might be under bigger stress.
I think they are reasonably smart, the depression of the outdoor sports market has been much more severe than almost everyone could imagine.
bikes were purchased, ebikes have thrown a big wrench into any forecasting.

I think the $1K ebikes will create a big hangover when those brands evaporate with near unrepairable piles of electronics, batteries and mechanicals.
If I knew how to invest, I would.
The only move I should have made but did not have money for was in 2008 where Ford Motor was selling for $1.27 a share. I knew they would not reorganize as the family held too much common stock. Too proud.
I would have sold at $14. Which would have been a very nice profit.
Likes For repechage: