Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1983 Trek 720 - how concerning is this dent?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1983 Trek 720 - how concerning is this dent?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 03:09 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Note that there are many automotive dentless repair vendors who slide their tools into all sorts of difficult to access cavities in cars so that they can massage dents out that look like this. We have had some dents that looked worse than that massaged out in spots that had very tight access. They usually have a very large and varied assortment of massaging tools and some of them have mad skills. You might want to see if one of those guys has some tools that will reach that far.
that's true, one may not have to really reinvent the wheel here. i had this done once and the results were quite impressive.
Old 02-29-24, 06:58 AM
Triplecrank92

Bikes: '93 Cannondale R500; '88 Centurion Ironman Expert, '97 Cannondale R900, '95 Serotta CSI, '83 Trek 700, '97 Lemond Zurich, '89 Bianchi Giro, '87 Schwinn Prologue, '83 Fuji TSIV + one perturbed wife

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 58 Posts
If you go the "block" route, you can minimize the paint damage by tightening the block slightly, loosen it, re-position the block over the another part of the dent and then slightly retighten it. Keep repeating. Don't twist the block around the tube. You won't get the dent out completely but you will reduce it and retain most of the original paint.
Likes For Triplecrank92:
Old 02-29-24, 07:50 AM
GullyFoylesbike
*____*

Bikes: 1984 Gitane Grantour, 197X Serotta Club Special, 1983 Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 31 Posts
Some more research has turned up an interesting route - musical instruments get dents repaired using a set of ball bearings and a large magnet - bearing goes inside and the magnet is used to drag it along / pop dents out. I live about a half mile from a local shop that lists just such repairs on their site, so I'm gonna pop over there this weekend maybe and see if I can get any thoughts or info out of them
Likes For GullyFoylesbike:
Old 02-29-24, 07:59 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,279 Posts
Let us know what comes of this approach. I’ve never heard of it .
Old 02-29-24, 08:14 AM
Velosophy

Bikes: Old Carlton frame and fork. Old Nishiki frame and fork, single speed build? 2003 Scattante full carbon/Ultegra. 90’s trek steel with full 600(purchased for the components) Also vintage K2 full suspension

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Before you get too crazy just go pick up a cheap door ding dent removal tool $25ish.
it uses hot glue on the dent and a twist handle against leverage. You’d be surprised what it can do. Use a heat gun to warm area first.
Report back!
Old 02-29-24, 10:25 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that musical instruments and to a lesser degree car body panels are not made from high-strength, cold-worked steel, which takes a lot more force to restore, and is a lot more "springy" (i.e. higher yield strength) than those other materials.

Hopefully though, a glue stick might pull out a tubing ding without pulling off the paint, especially if the dent were larger (large enough to have sufficient surface area for a strong pull).
Likes For dddd:
Old 03-01-24, 03:26 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
One thing to keep in mind is that musical instruments and to a lesser degree car body panels are not made from high-strength, cold-worked steel, which takes a lot more force to restore, and is a lot more "springy" (i.e. higher yield strength) than those other materials.

Hopefully though, a glue stick might pull out a tubing ding without pulling off the paint, especially if the dent were larger (large enough to have sufficient surface area for a strong pull).
I've rolled dents like that.
There is no way you could pull one out with anything attached with glue.
You just might be able to do it if you spot-welded something to the centre of a dent - but of course the bother and the poor chance of a good result make that theoretical.
That one is definitely a roll candidate; it would get better, but probably not go away completely.
Rolling works best on bare greased steel, the pressure required will smear any paint anyway, so strip and polish (smooth steel works better) that section.

Last edited by oneclick; 03-01-24 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-01-24, 06:07 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by GullyFoylesbike
Some more research has turned up an interesting route - musical instruments get dents repaired using a set of ball bearings and a large magnet - bearing goes inside and the magnet is used to drag it along / pop dents out. I live about a half mile from a local shop that lists just such repairs on their site, so I'm gonna pop over there this weekend maybe and see if I can get any thoughts or info out of them
Brass is an entirely different beast than a bike frame. I'm curious to see what you find out but not optimistic.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 03-01-24, 01:34 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Less concerning than that handlebar setup lol. Ride on brother.
Old 03-04-24, 01:01 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
WHAT IF... you rolled it and filled any leftover dent, or just filled it as is, then added a panel decal like the one on the seat tube? Sure you'd know it was there, but it would kinda be like looking at a cool bandaid vs and open wound, haha. Mockup attached.

Old 03-07-24, 04:30 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts

S&S couplers? Make it a travel bike? I’m curious to hear about the ball bearing magnet method. With a big electromagnet it could work.
Old 03-07-24, 04:56 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
You just might be able to do it if you spot-welded something to the centre of a dent - but of course the bother and the poor chance of a good result make that theoretical.
Not theoretical at all. That's how the professional body shops do it. Spotweld a stud to the dent, and then use a dent puller to pull up on the dent while hammering around the edges of the dent.
Old 03-07-24, 05:00 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Not theoretical at all. That's how the professional body shops do it. Spotweld a stud to the dent, and then use a dent puller to pull up on the dent while hammering around the edges of the dent.
I know that - but those dents and that steel isn't anything like this dent and this steel.
Likes For oneclick: