Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Favorit ID ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Favorit ID ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 03:17 PM
Lilli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the quick replies and helpful advice! Just to give you an update on the project: I have now managed to open up the bottom bracket. Unfortunately, it did not work with only the C-clamp, but I had to heat up the cranks to get the cotter pins hammered out. I only found a total of 20 ball bearings but there were some metallic splinters so now I am wondering if the two missing ball bearings could have been crushed and the splinters were causing the rattling sound. The crank spindle seems alright in my eyes (unfortunately still not allowed to upload photos): there are two small dents in the left ball bearing track but I think I will anyway put the axle back since I am unable to find a replacing one, and hope it does not matter too much. Hopefully it will last another 50 years!
Old 06-12-23, 03:25 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Lilli
Thanks for all the quick replies and helpful advice! Just to give you an update on the project: I have now managed to open up the bottom bracket. Unfortunately, it did not work with only the C-clamp, but I had to heat up the cranks to get the cotter pins hammered out. I only found a total of 20 ball bearings but there were some metallic splinters so now I am wondering if the two missing ball bearings could have been crushed and the splinters were causing the rattling sound. The crank spindle seems alright in my eyes (unfortunately still not allowed to upload photos): there are two small dents in the left ball bearing track but I think I will anyway put the axle back since I am unable to find a replacing one, and hope it does not matter too much. Hopefully it will last another 50 years!
---

thank you for the update

if you need to resort to hammering to get the crank cotters removed it is important to support the backside of the crank head solidly on an anvil or similar so that the impact of the hammer blows goes only to the crank cotter and is not transmitted to the bearings and the races otherwise it is possible to brinnel (dent) the races

conceivable that the dents you found may be the result of hammering

-----
Old 06-12-23, 10:44 PM
Lilli

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
---

thank you for the update

if you need to resort to hammering to get the crank cotters removed it is important to support the backside of the crank head solidly on an anvil or similar so that the impact of the hammer blows goes only to the crank cotter and is not transmitted to the bearings and the races otherwise it is possible to brinnel (dent) the races

conceivable that the dents you found may be the result of hammering

-----
We supported the crank head on a several kilo weighing sledgehammer when hammering, but the crank arm corresponding to the end with the dents in the axle has been opened by someone before because the cotter pin had been replaced so I cannot of course know how the previous owner has opened it.
Old 06-19-23, 04:52 AM
Amocat223

Bikes: Gios

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have parts including original crank and bottom bracket, brake levers and derailleurs if interested
Old 06-19-23, 07:04 AM
juvela

Originally Posted by Amocat223
I have parts including original crank and bottom bracket, brake levers and derailleurs if interested

-----

a member over at thecabe, Jesper, is seeking some of these Favorit parts for a machine they have

​​​​​​https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/fa...h-bike.180080/

-----
Old 03-06-24, 09:56 AM
schwinn70s

Bikes: 77 Le Tour 2, 75 Travler 12 speed, 80 collegant,79 FF Suburban 5 speed positron and 2 95 autobikes 73 Schwinn Twinn De Lux with Atom brake on the rear ,Freesprit (england ) 10 speed yea 73 Schwinn Super Sport, 73 Schwinn Breeze, 69 Collegiate

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
1972 Favorit F12

1972 Favorie F12 Unique example of cold War bicycle. Presently fited with a gen 1 dura ace set front and rear derailleur. I have ordered original front and rear Favorite derailleurs. Question very peculiar threading to the fr I nt derailleur does anyone have a picture how the threading is done? I expect the cable housing goes directly to the outlet on the bottom but how to set without clipping the chain?
Old 03-06-24, 06:20 PM
juvela

-----

cable path for the Favorit pushrod front gear mech is killer awful

at one point it must make a right angle turn

-----
Old 03-06-24, 07:30 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I noticed from the photos that these bike's cables are wound counter-clockwise, like Campagnolo, unlike all of the rest of the world's cables.

It always throws me when working on bikes with such cables, trying to twist the end before feeding it into a housing or ferrule and it just opens up.