Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I have a pedal fetish

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I have a pedal fetish

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 03:11 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
To quote Paris Hilton, that's hot.
Likes For iab:
Old 03-19-24, 04:04 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

barrel/frame and dustcap are strongly suggestive of Maillard

when one goes back far eno' Incheville produced products under a number of names

factory staged a cessation of play in ninety-one

definitely not a Lyotard item with those spindles

-----
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-19-24, 04:46 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,711 Times in 2,613 Posts
These Phil pedals came on some bike I bought; rode them once and then moved them on (snapped up on the CR list). I had high hopes, but they felt very fragile.

Old 03-19-24, 04:56 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Barelli are my favorites.
Who remembers, which Barelli were cup-and-cone and which were cartridge bearing? B10 model = cartridge maybe?
I'd ride the cup-cone style but not the cartridge, which has a sharp 90° angle machined into the spindle = stress riser, leading to fatigue failure.

As always, some folks report many happy miles on them without a failure, but like with Phil Wood, if you're large, strong and/or high mileage I'd stay away.

TA pedals also have a sharp 90° angle machined in, but the remaining metal is at a larger diameter than Barelli or Phil, due to the use of needle bearings in the TA. The thin needles leave more room for the axle to be at an adequate diameter.

Hi-E don't really qualify as my favorite, but I do love them for the wackiness.

Hi-E didn't invent the dropped-platform pedal of course, you probably have to go back to the 1870s for the first one. Certainly the Sanzax (roughly "without axle" in French, '50s) has the Hi-E beat by over 20 years.

Neither did Hi-E perfect the design, I think we've got to give that laurel to Shimano DynaDrive.

For durability, including crashes, it's gotta be Campy (old) Record with steel cages. Has anyone in history ever worn one out?

For simplicity and light weight, anyone know of anything to compare to these Aerolites?

FYI the red things are the shoe cleats, which you screw onto your soles at those 4 holes in the corners. The pedals themsleves look like a lipstick tube with a threaded axle sticking out.
I'm embarassed to admit, I raced on those for a year or two. A very flawed design and ultimately unsafe. Run away!
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-19-24, 05:05 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by nlerner
These Phil pedals [snip] felt very fragile.
Yes reports of Phil axles snapping off are not common, but not unheard-of. I've heard of maybe a half-dozen reports, though I only saw one broken with my own eyes. The cartridge bearing leaves too small a diameter on the spindle, and the transition is a sharp 90° angle.

Cup-and-cone bearings have their downsides, but they're like magic for pedals due to the natural fillet radius (the bearing race), making such a smooth transition to the smaller diameter part of the axle.

Cup/cone bearings may not compete for bearing durability, but I'd much rather have a bearing wear out than have an axle snap off. I know because I've broke a couple. I still have the scars.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-19-24, 05:54 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
Thanks for the info!
-----

sorry unable to give model name/number, nor even a datum

while they look VERY much a Maillard product they may have been badged as something other than Atom

for example, have a pair of black Maillard 700's picked up at swap meet which look straight out of the box and turn like glass but are badged as Galli

-----
Old 03-19-24, 05:58 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
I rode Phil pedals on my Masi with no problem back in the 70s. I have a banged up pair in my pedal drawer that gets pulled out from time-to-time when I need pedals for a quick around-the-block test ride on a build. As I understand it, the two problems with Phil pedals are the extrusion (pedal strike can easily crack them and/or badly scuff them) and that the axles can bend. ISTR (but can't find anything with a quick Google search) that when MKS was asked about bent axles on their pedals they replied that it was deemed safer than a broken axle, so they chose their steel alloy to bend, not break. (Maybe MKS should come out with a model named "Willow.") I assume that is/was true for Phil CHP pedals as well, though who knows if that was intentional or serendipitous.
Old 03-19-24, 06:52 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by smontanaro
I rode Phil pedals on my Masi with no problem back in the 70s. I have a banged up pair in my pedal drawer that gets pulled out from time-to-time when I need pedals for a quick around-the-block test ride on a build. As I understand it, the two problems with Phil pedals are the extrusion (pedal strike can easily crack them and/or badly scuff them) and that the axles can bend. ISTR (but can't find anything with a quick Google search) that when MKS was asked about bent axles on their pedals they replied that it was deemed safer than a broken axle, so they chose their steel alloy to bend, not break. (Maybe MKS should come out with a model named "Willow.") I assume that is/was true for Phil CHP pedals as well, though who knows if that was intentional or serendipitous.
Well all pedal axles (and bike parts in general) should bend rather than snapping when overloaded, but that isn't what breaks pedal axles, it's always fatigue. I don't think any pedal ever made will snap from a one-time overload, like a crash — they'll always bend.

A brief search found me a couple reports of snapped Phil pedals including this guy, who heard it clunk onto the floor while it was just sitting in the next room, with no one aboard!
Also this guy.

Clearly though, most of them didn't break. In addition to the obvious variables like rider weight and strength, miles, maybe roughness of roads encountered, there's also manufacturing variance. Like did some have a sharper corner where the axle steps down in diameter for the cartridge bearing? Maybe they used cutters with more or less radius at the points. Abrupt changes in cross-section lead to stress-risers, but just a bit of radius on the cutting tool can make a huge difference. Once a crack starts, no matter how microscopic, total failure is inevitable if you keep riding it. But steel in practice has an endurance limit. a stress level below which fatigue cracks will never happen (with a reasonable definition of "never"). The presence or absence of that tiny fillet radius made by the cutting tool can put you just under or just over that threshold, for a dramatic difference in whether or not you're facing an "unplanned dismount".
Old 03-19-24, 07:11 PM
iab

A couple Frejus-branded pedals.

And then along a similar thought, custom pedals for my custom bike (Gregario).

Likes For iab:
Old 03-19-24, 07:16 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Who remembers, which Barelli were cup-and-cone and which were cartridge bearing? B10 model = cartridge maybe?
I'd ride the cup-cone style but not the cartridge, which has a sharp 90° angle machined into the spindle = stress riser, leading to fatigue failure.

As always, some folks report many happy miles on them without a failure, but like with Phil Wood, if you're large, strong and/or high mileage I'd stay away.

TA pedals also have a sharp 90° angle machined in, but the remaining metal is at a larger diameter than Barelli or Phil, due to the use of needle bearings in the TA. The thin needles leave more room for the axle to be at an adequate diameter.

Hi-E don't really qualify as my favorite, but I do love them for the wackiness.

Hi-E didn't invent the dropped-platform pedal of course, you probably have to go back to the 1870s for the first one. Certainly the Sanzax (roughly "without axle" in French, '50s) has the Hi-E beat by over 20 years.

Neither did Hi-E perfect the design, I think we've got to give that laurel to Shimano DynaDrive.

For durability, including crashes, it's gotta be Campy (old) Record with steel cages. Has anyone in history ever worn one out?

For simplicity and light weight, anyone know of anything to compare to these Aerolites?

FYI the red things are the shoe cleats, which you screw onto your soles at those 4 holes in the corners. The pedals themsleves look like a lipstick tube with a threaded axle sticking out.
I'm embarassed to admit, I raced on those for a year or two. A very flawed design and ultimately unsafe. Run away!
I haven’t ridden the Barellis yet, but just love their utilitarian look. I’m not sure which ones I have. I thought they were just very cool.

I have two Aerolite spindles. I was wondering what the heck they were!

Of the old school pedals I HAVE used, the SR Sp-11s are the best pedal for my feet in cleats. Will have to put some on one of my bikes eventually, but I usually do some SPD-SL or Look delta pedals.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 03-19-24, 09:39 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Bikes: I honestly don't know...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
Can we ask for more please? This is real cool!
Likes For Writenride:
Old 03-20-24, 09:23 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Zeus 2000: titanium spindle, sealed bearings, and titanium cage that is more durable than the aluminum cage used on many other pedals (including Campagnolo Super Record and Superleggero), and only slightly heavier than aluminum.
Old 03-20-24, 01:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Writenride
Can we ask for more please? This is real cool!
Sure,

Likes For merziac:
Old 03-20-24, 01:59 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Looky kooky, fads and fades
.... with some racy Gipiemme Chrono and traditional Christophe straps / Suntour Superbe black and gold and A. Binda straps.

Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 03-20-24, 02:11 PM
iab

Originally Posted by merziac
Sure,
The top one, Surefoot? I like it, what do you know about it.
Old 03-20-24, 04:58 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
My favorite pedals are the SR SP-11.

SP-11 King1 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

SP-11 King2 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

SP-11 King3 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

(The Velcro band on the pedal stem was just there to hold the pedal upright)

I was really excited about getting a pair of the White Industries pedals- By the time I was looking for them, they were out of production- I just happened to find a set for a great deal. They're very nice, but not as comfortable as the SP-11s. IMO.

WIPedals2 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

WIPedals4 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

WIPedals5 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Then there's the SR SP-155- Either SR stole the Specialized Touring Pedal, or the other way around- in any case, there's a very very clear "influence."

SP-155-3 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

SP-155-2 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I do have a set of the Specialized Touring pedals- but I haven't gotten around to swapping them out.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 03-20-24, 05:21 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I do have a set of the Specialized Touring pedals- but I haven't gotten around to swapping them out.
If you decide to get rid of them, let me know...
Old 03-20-24, 05:33 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
For those curious about pedals and their evolution over the time that bikes have existed, a peek at the Speedplay Museum is recommended! As I understand it, this is the collection of Richard Bryne (IIRC), the former owner of Speedplay Pedals.

I found a couple of photos on flickr of his collection:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chicken_strip/3420741292

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25671211@N02/4512934346

and a couple of specific pedals from Mr. Bryne's flickr account....

the Cinelli M-71 clipless track pedal, sometimes referred to as the "death pedal".
https://www.flickr.com/photos/speedp...7625683326281/

a pedal used by (and designed by?) Pierre Lallement, circa 1866

Brown's Aeolus Ball Bearing Pedal, circa 1877
Apparently these were the first pedals to use ball bearings instead of just a bushing.

It's worth a few minutes to peruse Mr. Bryne's other bike tech photos in his flickr account. All sorts of curiosities in there!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/speedplaypedals/

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-20-24, 05:38 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
The top one, Surefoot? I like it, what do you know about it.
Not much really, seem to be fairly scarce on the ground, made by SR, also says TIOGA on the end, found that a pair sold on pinkbike for $400 so they ended up on the chrome Ritchey.

Likes For merziac:
Old 03-20-24, 06:16 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Campagnolo Triomphe is one of my favorites for a touring bike. They work equally well with slotted cleat bike shoes and shoe-soled street shoes.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-20-24, 06:22 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Great links steelbikeguy, thanks!
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 03-21-24, 12:20 AM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Bikes: I honestly don't know...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts

The legendary Shimano DX pedal. Always influential, and duplicated, but nothing surpassed the original.

I had these DX pedals as a replacement for ones initially stolen on my 1986 Haro Sport (Bob Haro Edition). They were the only gold components on my chrome freestyle bike.

The reflectors were easy to pop out and when I saw in “BMX Plus!” Magazine that they were listed as the best BMX pedal ever made, I had to get them.

When I got them at Johnnie’s Bike Shop in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, I had to finish all my homework to earn them, so my poor mom could buy them. They were the most beautiful pedals I’ve ever seen. Almost mythical. Made me feel like I could fly on my bike over any curb or jump. I even have the scar on my left shin to remember these pedals. Great for mountain biking too.
Likes For Writenride:
Old 03-21-24, 12:12 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
TANK

Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 03-21-24, 12:58 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Campagnolo Triomphe is one of my favorites for a touring bike. They work equally well with slotted cleat bike shoes and shoe-soled street shoes.

Agreed!

Mights as well put the Assos on here...

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-22-24, 11:23 AM
iab

Sheffield goodness.

Likes For iab:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.