Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Pannier or backpack for commuting with 17 " laptop

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-17, 10:41 AM
lwpowers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi it is VERY difficult to find a backpack or pannier to fit a 17" laptop
any suggestions?
Old 08-13-17, 10:46 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,432 Posts
There are a number of panniers that can fit it vertically. Trying to carry it horizontally is likely to create heel clearance problems, so even if you found panniers 17" wide, they'd likely have a cutaway heel clearance, so you'd have to fill the bottom so the computer sat above the cut.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-13-17, 11:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Alternative, that, In a back pack you have arms and legs as suspension, to absorb big shocks to your laptop..

but with micro SD cards and multi gigabyte thumb drives cant you leave the company lap top there?

Old 08-13-17, 12:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Do you have the actual laptop dimensions? Are you carrying the case, or just the laptop?

Heel Strike may depend on the rack positioning & chainstay length.

I found a pannier set similar to this one (unfortunately I can't find brand markings on mine).

ROSWHEEL Bicycle Waterproof Travel Pannier Rear Seat Detachable Trunk Bag | eBay

Mine was able to fit a pizza box in the top(trunk) bag. If you got the bag above, you could customize it with some padding (if it didn't fit your laptop case). It looks like the top detaches and makes a nice shoulder strap bag.

You may also just take your laptop to a bicycle or sporting goods store and try it out.

In the past, I've carried a laptop in its bag slung over my shoulder/back, and it worked reasonably well.
Old 08-13-17, 12:30 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
What I want for that, a laptop case that IS the pannier, or replaces one. Perhaps hooks onto the rack and/or seat stay and chain stay, disconnects easily and, with a handle, is a case you can carry to meetings and looks professional. Anyone know of something like that?
Old 08-13-17, 12:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by wphamilton
What I want for that, a laptop case that IS the pannier, or replaces one. Perhaps hooks onto the rack and/or seat stay and chain stay, disconnects easily and, with a handle, is a case you can carry to meetings and looks professional. Anyone know of something like that?
No, but it wouldn't be hard to make with a bit of standard hardware. You'll need a long stiff flat bar of some kind to take the hooks and spread the load. Then assemble it with the brace inside and hooks outside and bolted through. When hanging it on the bike, use a bungee or strap to hold it down so it can't bump upward and disengage.

The beauty of the DIY approach is that you can orient the computer to ensure good heel clearance. The natural give of the carrying case would take up most of the harder jolts.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 08-13-17, 04:28 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I hate to say it but the easiest way to carry a 17" laptop on a bike is to trade it for a 15" laptop.
Old 08-13-17, 04:34 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
I hate to say it but the easiest way to carry a 17" laptop on a bike is to trade it for a 15" laptop.
Depending on the programs and specific application the separate number keypad can be very important for some users. That bit of added utility is usually what separate wider keyboards from their narrower counterparts.

In any case, I can't see the logic of replacing the computer over this. Of course, if/when the time comes to replace it, then keyboard width would be one of the factors to consider, along with weight and of course functional capabilities.

Old 08-13-17, 07:40 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by FBinNY
No, but it wouldn't be hard to make with a bit of standard hardware. You'll need a long stiff flat bar of some kind to take the hooks and spread the load. Then assemble it with the brace inside and hooks outside and bolted through. When hanging it on the bike, use a bungee or strap to hold it down so it can't bump upward and disengage.

The beauty of the DIY approach is that you can orient the computer to ensure good heel clearance. The natural give of the carrying case would take up most of the harder jolts.
I've considered DIY but I'd use a rigid back with the hooks and fasteners because I don't think the fabric will hold up to that for long. And some other design factors, it's back burner.
Old 08-13-17, 07:47 PM
DTG

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
+1

Or even a 13" laptop.

Why do you need such a big laptop in the first place? I had one and when it crapped out, I got a 13 and never looked back. It's lighter and easier to carry in multiple bags. Hell, it even fits in my Chroma Kadet.
Old 08-13-17, 08:09 PM
CliffordK

You could probably bungee, or use cam straps to tie the factory case to the top of the rack. With a little practice, it would attach and remove pretty quickly.

I ride with a backpack quite a bit, and I'm sure you could find one that would fit. Some have a special computer pocket, although I'm not sure the size.

The old 17"+ computers were behemoths, but I would assume new ones are getting lighter. Things like a CD/DVD drive would be nice, but really I don't use it that frequently (other than when I was doing IT support).
Old 08-13-17, 08:11 PM
CliffordK

Another option is to get a USB drive, or even a micro SD card, and just transfer your data from one location to another, and leave the computers at home and work.

Some software companies used to license software to be used on office + home computers.
Old 08-13-17, 08:48 PM
mattia76

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone RB-T, 1987 Miyata 1000LT, Rivendell Sam Hillborne,

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 15 Posts
Just did a Google search for 17" Laptop Backpacks, and found a bunch of articles.

I would go backpack.
Old 08-13-17, 09:44 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I don't carry a laptop often, but a few years ago I carried 2 laptopsand my usual commuting back pack on my bike using Wald Folding baskets. They're light and flexible enough to soak up moderade bumps. I just used a lightweight bungee to keep the cases in the baskets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
14921896429570.jpg (90.2 KB, 105 views)
Old 08-14-17, 04:04 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I didn't realise to people still used 17" laptops.

If you have to carry a machine at all, rather than using a cloud ... I'd look at a 9"-11" machine with a dedicated station (keyboard / mouse / screen) at every destination, e.g. home and office.
Old 08-14-17, 07:33 AM
wphamilton

Just get a smaller laptop, or use the cloud or portable media, is all off-target in my opinion. It may be feasible for some uses, but sometimes it does need to be 17", plus as much processing power as you can get, and access outside of the firewall including a USB is forbidden. It's not always an option, so secure, convenient transportation is a pretty good question.

As it is, I either slip mine into a regular padded backpack or strap the laptop case onto my rack, which aren't very happy solutions. I simply don't do it very often. With some nice solid solution that I could clip on or off in seconds, and not worry about during the commute it would be a different story.
Old 08-30-17, 09:05 AM
wphamilton

No, but it wouldn't be hard to make with a bit of standard hardware.
I actually did try that this morning and it works out pretty well. Rather than spending any time on design I just bent a steel rod for hooks at the top corners and looped a strap around it.

This is 15" rather than 17" and fit perfectly in an old school zipper binder. It really is that simple for a workable solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
laptop pan1.jpg (99.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 08-30-17, 09:13 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
While I'm not big on backpacks when riding at all, for a 17" laptop I'd go with a backpack. That's just because of the shock absorption on a backpack. It'll be a gentler ride up there.

I have a 13 inch laptop and I don't mind it in my pannier because it isn't a snug fit in there. I can keep it in a neoprene sleeve that adds some padding and it has a little room to wobble inside the bag so it I hit a bounce hard it was wiggle room in the pannier and has the neoprene sleeve to cushion it. If I crammed a 17 inch laptop in there it would be a super tight fit and it would be super rigid with no give so every little bump would get transferred to the laptop.
Old 08-30-17, 09:46 AM
FBinNY 

I actually did try that this morning and it works out pretty well. Rather than spending any time on design I just bent a steel rod for hooks at the top corners and looped a strap around it.

Looks good, sometimes all we need is a nudge in the right direction.

Old 08-30-17, 09:57 AM
wphamilton

Looks good, sometimes all we need is a nudge in the right direction.
For a zero-cost instant solution, I'll take it
Old 08-31-17, 06:11 AM
Jason9142002

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Cannondale Trail 6, Fuji Track Bike, Giant OCR

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lwpowers
Hi it is VERY difficult to find a backpack or pannier to fit a 17" laptop
any suggestions?
I use a messenger bag. Holds all my stuff.
Old 08-31-17, 10:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason9142002
I use a messenger bag. Holds all my stuff.
This, my large Timbuk2 is 20" wide..
Old 08-31-17, 11:23 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Timbuk2 - me too. does not have the wind drag (or dead weight) of panniers, and doesn't get me as sweaty as a backpack (which sits too high on my back anyway)
Old 08-31-17, 11:25 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
While I'm not big on backpacks when riding at all, for a 17" laptop I'd go with a backpack. That's just because of the shock absorption on a backpack. It'll be a gentler ride up there.
Maybe - I had my laptop hit the ground hard a couple of times - once because of a poorly mounted pannier, once because of a crash. Never caused a problem. Some bumping around wouldn't bother me too much, but yeah a messenger bag would be easier on the computer than a pannier.
Old 08-31-17, 11:28 AM
chas58

I used to have a timbuk2 messenger bag that doubled as a pannier. The problem is that it has to be a small bag because if you mount the laptop horizontally, you are going to risk heal strike with a setup like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.