Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

uncontrollable response when braking on corner

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 11:46 PM
BforumBMC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been riding a fantastic bike for several years now and have really enjoyed my time on this bike. I live in Perth, Western Australian and many roads here are reasonably flat. Hence steep hills are not always experienced. However, there are still a few around to test out skills.

I have enjoyed climbing many and also descending as well although probably not quite as confidently as speed makes for extra problems. Since I have had the BMC (previous bike, a Trek, was stolen), I have experienced some scary moments whilst descending. Coming down a reasonably long and quite steep hill, I braked whilst negotiating a slight bend. The bike reacted by flexing uncontrollably and would have tossed me off if I had not released the brakes. It quickly righted once the brakes were released.

On Wednesday last I was again descending a 5 - 8 % slope. I braked prior to the corner and braked into the corner when the bike again reacted by flexing vigorously and uncontrollably. I released the brakes, the flexing stopped but I ran on into a curb, crashed and broke my collarbone.

I have read many articles since and none describe this extreme response when braking during cornering. I figure that there must be something else happening here, such as some bike fault. It has been regularly serviced, by the cycle shop where I picked it up, so not any maintenance issue.

Any thoughts as this experience has been painful.

John
Likes For BforumBMC:
Old 09-30-21, 03:23 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
First of all my condolences on breaking your clavicle. It happened to me last year - my first ever broken bone at the age of 63 - and I now have a piece of titanium in my shoulder. Not a pleasant experience.

Can you explain what you mean by 'flexing uncontrollably'. I suspect you are referring to a very unpleasant shimmying motion, which was also the cause of my crash. This does seem to be an issue with some bikes; it appears to be down to hitting a resonant frequency which is down to a combination of all the components involved, but I assume that the wheels and the frame are the major contributors. I read an article about it that suggested the way to stop it is clamp your knees to the cross bar.
Old 09-30-21, 03:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
dunno, get well soon. how long will you be off the bike?
Old 09-30-21, 04:08 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
First of all my condolences on breaking your clavicle. It happened to me last year - my first ever broken bone at the age of 63 - and I now have a piece of titanium in my shoulder. Not a pleasant experience.

Can you explain what you mean by 'flexing uncontrollably'. I suspect you are referring to a very unpleasant shimmying motion, which was also the cause of my crash. This does seem to be an issue with some bikes; it appears to be down to hitting a resonant frequency which is down to a combination of all the components involved, but I assume that the wheels and the frame are the major contributors. I read an article about it that suggested the way to stop it is clamp your knees to the cross bar.
That was my first thought too. Never experienced it on any bike and if I ever did I would be selling it immediately!
Anecdotally I've heard that BMCs are stiff and aggressive handling bikes (massive generalisation I know, as we don't even know what BMC model this is). But I've read enough comments along these lines not to consider buying one.
Old 09-30-21, 04:20 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
That was my first thought too. Never experienced it on any bike and if I ever did I would be selling it immediately!
Anecdotally I've heard that BMCs are stiff and aggressive handling bikes (massive generalisation I know, as we don't even know what BMC model this is). But I've read enough comments along these lines not to consider buying one.
Ah, well, sadly we can't all afford to go out and swap a bike at the drop of a hat. However, it is a combination of factors which causes it so swapping any part may affect the behaviour, even something as small and insignificant as the stem. Certainly different wheels may produce very different results and that's a much more affordable change.
Old 09-30-21, 04:27 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
uneven braking can be a result from wheel wobbling from an out of spec'd hub, poor spoke tension, PSI set inaccurately, brakes misadjusted, warped braking surface, bent fork, or a rare instance of one side of the braking surface being contaminated.
Old 09-30-21, 04:39 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Seems like there was another thread about this within the last year. That thread had some videos documenting the shimmy/wobble.
Old 09-30-21, 04:41 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Ah, well, sadly we can't all afford to go out and swap a bike at the drop of a hat. However, it is a combination of factors which causes it so swapping any part may affect the behaviour, even something as small and insignificant as the stem. Certainly different wheels may produce very different results and that's a much more affordable change.
Even when the alternative is having multiple scary moments descending, finally leading to a major crash requiring surgery? Sure you could start "experimenting" with parts, but this would be a red flag for me if the bike was well maintained (as the OP indicated it was).
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-30-21, 05:04 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
It sounds like this only happens when braking on a curve downhill, so only when going faster around a curve than you would go when turning on the flats and not braking?

Using the front brake on downhill curves can cause the bike to move laterally in the wrong direction, I've always been told to only use the rear brake if you have to slow on a curve and ideally do all the braking before the curve. That was also what they taught us when I had to take a course to get my motorcycle license.

Do you think you were going heavy on the front brake on the curve?
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 09-30-21, 05:21 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I'd start the ball rolling with going down descents a little slower and gain more handling experience. Speed is Feet Per Second, FPS. Roughly translated speed x 1.5 is FPS (actual is 1.466). The faster you go, the less time you have to correct a mistake. In my OPINION, when someone doesn't know why a bike started shaking it's head on a descent, it's a lack of experience. What I mean to say is, good descenders can "feel" what the bike is doing every second and know from experience what will induce untoward chassis movement.

OP, you're never going to get a clear and truly correct answer here (that includes mine) because no one here observed you descending. No one can say what your body position on the bike was, how much braking pressure you used, which brake was biased (if at all), the road surface, road camber, it really goes on and on. The slower you go to learn the importance of these things, the better off you'll be. As speed increases, ALL of these things become important, sometimes you can only get one of them wrong and you're on the deck. I hope you heal fast.

Last edited by nomadmax; 09-30-21 at 05:43 AM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 09-30-21, 05:28 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
I'd suggest you first read up on "shimmy" and determine if that is what you are experiencing. You'll learn that it's a bit of a mystery but there are a number of things you can check, fingers crossed. If your issue seems more pronounced and random, you might check the frame for cracks, especially in the rear triangle. Tap test and flexing the bike while standing on a pedal would be a good start. Good luck
Old 09-30-21, 06:50 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
How old is the BMC? They had a fork recall a few years ago.
Old 09-30-21, 06:51 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by nomadmax
I'd start the ball rolling with going down descents a little slower and gain more handling experience. Speed is Feet Per Second, FPS. Roughly translated speed x 1.5 is FPS (actual is 1.466). The faster you go, the less time you have to correct a mistake. In my OPINION, when someone doesn't know why a bike started shaking it's head on a descent, it's a lack of experience. What I mean to say is, good descenders can "feel" what the bike is doing every second and know from experience what will induce untoward chassis movement.

OP, you're never going to get a clear and truly correct answer here (that includes mine) because no one here observed you descending. No one can say what your body position on the bike was, how much braking pressure you used, which brake was biased (if at all), the road surface, road camber, it really goes on and on. The slower you go to learn the importance of these things, the better off you'll be. As speed increases, ALL of these things become important, sometimes you can only get one of them wrong and you're on the deck. I hope you heal fast.
I could be wrong, but the way I read the OP's post was that this was not an issue with his previous bike. So more of a bike specific problem rather than a general lack of experience.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-30-21, 06:52 AM
jgwilliams

Even when the alternative is having multiple scary moments descending, finally leading to a major crash requiring surgery? Sure you could start "experimenting" with parts, but this would be a red flag for me if the bike was well maintained (as the OP indicated it was).
Well, if you don't have the money for a replacement there really isn't much you can do. As it happens, I broke my frame when I had my crash. I managed to get a used good frame at a reasonable price which only involved getting a new bottom bracket. There's no way I could have afforded to replace the bike, or even get a new frame. If you've not been in that position then you are fortunate.
Old 09-30-21, 07:13 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
gotta be a brake and wheel issue right? The shimmy only happens when braking. Sounds like the brakes are grabbing the wheel but I'm no expert
Old 09-30-21, 07:25 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
The OP is complaining about the bike "flexing uncontrollably".

I could be wrong, but the way I read the OP's post was that this was not an issue with his previous bike. So more of a bike specific problem rather than a general lack of experience.
It seems that he might have had the BMC "for several years". He's not really clear about anything. The OP's words are not really enough to impugn the bike.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-30-21 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-30-21, 07:31 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
There isn't enough info.

We don't know the model of BMC. We don't know the model of Trek it's being compared to.

BMC's shouldn't be doing any "uncontrollable flexing".

It's certainly possible that it's some sort of "death wobble".

He takes it to a shop for service. What do they have to say about it?

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-30-21 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-30-21, 07:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
gotta be a brake and wheel issue right? The shimmy only happens when braking. Sounds like the brakes are grabbing the wheel but I'm no expert
Tire flop could also be a culprit - pressure too low, loading the front tire while braking and cornering.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-30-21, 07:41 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'd suggest you first read up on "shimmy" and determine if that is what you are experiencing. You'll learn that it's a bit of a mystery but there are a number of things you can check, fingers crossed. If your issue seems more pronounced and random, you might check the frame for cracks, especially in the rear triangle. Tap test and flexing the bike while standing on a pedal would be a good start. Good luck
Unless the frame is actually damaged or faulty ....

I cannot see a BMC frame "flexing uncontrollable" or whatever .... wheels, maybe. I'd check the headset, the wheels (hubs and spokes.) I'd check the QRs if it has them. I'd go over the brakes carefully.

Disc or rim brakes, by the way?
Old 09-30-21, 09:02 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
It sounds like this only happens when braking on a curve downhill, so only when going faster around a curve than you would go when turning on the flats and not braking?

Using the front brake on downhill curves can cause the bike to move laterally in the wrong direction, I've always been told to only use the rear brake if you have to slow on a curve and ideally do all the braking before the curve. That was also what they taught us when I had to take a course to get my motorcycle license.

Do you think you were going heavy on the front brake on the curve?
you’d be nuts to not use the brake that provides maybe 75% of the braking (ie the front brake). If you can’t use the front brake without the bike “moving laterally in the wrong direction”, time to go back to school.
Old 09-30-21, 09:06 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I doubt that the bike was flexing. Most likely, what you experienced was the brakes "pulsing", which can have various causes (brake pads old/worn; contaminated rims or rotors; brake arms or fork flexing {unlikely}). You could also get this feeling if the road surface is uneven.

As you've discovered, you should do your braking before the turn. Braking in a turn shifts the weight of the rider/bike system to the front wheel, which is trying to turn. This will exacerbate any road bumpiness, imperfections in brakes/braking surfaces, etc. It requires stronger steering inputs. It puts your weight towards the front wheel and towards the outside of the turn, increasing the risks of high-siding (going over the bars on the outside of the turn) and it interferes with the lean of the bike (causing it to stay more upright) which makes your turn wider and may cause you to run off the road towards the outside of the turn. You should brake in the turn only in an emergency, and you'll need to be ready to counteract the forces pushing you upright and towards the outside of the turn. Usually you're better off not braking but rather increasing the bike lean, increasing pressure on the pedal on the outside of the turn, and increasing downward pressure on the handlebar on the inside of the turn. And looking at the exit of the turn (i.e. where you want to go) rather than where your bike is trying to go.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 09-30-21, 09:34 AM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
My touring bike (which I no longer ride) came with cantilever brakes which were marginal so I replaced the brake pads with grippier pads. On a downhill, but not turning, the front fork started oscillating uncontrollably causing me to be unable to stop. Fortunately, I had a place to turn and roll safely to a stop. In order to turn, I did have to release the front brake. The rear brake alone was not sufficient by itself to stop.

Basically, the new pads caused harmonic resonance in the fork. I still don't know how or why. I re-installed the original pads since I didn't have that particular problem with them and planned my stops a little better.

My new touring bike has hydraulic discs. Stopping is a non-issue.
Old 09-30-21, 09:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Descending turns are something you admit you aren't use to doing. Don't do them so fast. At least not till you get some experience with braking while in a turn.

Sometimes I have to force myself not to brake and when I do brake, it's ever so slight a braking force I use. A tiny road bump while braking can momentarily reduce the tires grip on the road and it's all over with at that point if you are braking in a descending turn and the wheel suddenly locks up.
Old 09-30-21, 04:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I doubt that the bike was flexing. Most likely, what you experienced was the brakes "pulsing", which can have various causes (brake pads old/worn; contaminated rims or rotors; brake arms or fork flexing {unlikely}). You could also get this feeling if the road surface is uneven.

As you've discovered, you should do your braking before the turn. Braking in a turn shifts the weight of the rider/bike system to the front wheel, which is trying to turn. This will exacerbate any road bumpiness, imperfections in brakes/braking surfaces, etc. It requires stronger steering inputs. It puts your weight towards the front wheel and towards the outside of the turn, increasing the risks of high-siding (going over the bars on the outside of the turn) and it interferes with the lean of the bike (causing it to stay more upright) which makes your turn wider and may cause you to run off the road towards the outside of the turn. You should brake in the turn only in an emergency, and you'll need to be ready to counteract the forces pushing you upright and towards the outside of the turn. Usually you're better off not braking but rather increasing the bike lean, increasing pressure on the pedal on the outside of the turn, and increasing downward pressure on the handlebar on the inside of the turn. And looking at the exit of the turn (i.e. where you want to go) rather than where your bike is trying to go.
You are describing braking in a corner wrong. You aren’t likely to “go over the high side” on a corner unless your wheel slides and hits something like a curb. Slight imperfections in the road aren’t going to catch the wheel and cantilever the rider up and over the bike. Braking in a corner does transfer the weight to the front wheel but it also lifts the rear wheel. In a straight line, this translates into a lifted rear wheel that locks easily and goes into sliding friction rather than rolling friction, i.e. a skid.

In a corner, the same thing happens but the connection of the wheel to the ground is slightly lower so the wheel slides more easily. When it does slide, it slides in a straight line that is tangential to the corner. In other words, the tire slides towards the outside of the curve. Being in a lean with less contact with the tires front and rear causes the tires to slide more easily and to “wash out” and the rider goes down. As the rider you aren’t likely to be pushed up but you will be pushed out. It happens very quickly and is hard to correct for. It’s not as fast as going down on ice but pretty close.

You are right that you should be delicate with brakes in a corner and to put more pressure on the outside pedal as it increases force and friction on the little edge of tire you are using. But stuff happens and if you happen to find yourself braking (and sliding) in a corner, the best course of action is to get off the brakes. You should get off the front brake specifically but getting off both is usually the response. This stops the transfer of weight to the front wheel and settles the bike back down to improve the friction on the rear wheel. The rear wheel transitions to rolling friction instead of sliding friction.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-30-21, 08:32 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Hard to say what's exactly at play here. Heavy braking while turning a two-wheeled vehicle makes it want to stand up and go straight. One of those things a 500 lb motorcycle won't let you get away with, but a cyclist can 'muscle through' (until you can't)
Rider position / weighting can change the way the bike handles as well; too much weight forward can cause headshake like that, especially with too-aggressive braking, and/or riding with your arms too stiff can also lead to the rider fighting against the bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.