Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Verified case of sealant working with tubes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-24, 06:22 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts

I have been using sealant in tubes for a while.
The results have been mixed, I have had cases where I am pretty sure sealant has worked but have also had cases where sealant just sprayed out and made a mess (28mm Vittoria corsa tires with conti race lite tubes at 115Psi)

Yester day I got slow flat (32 mm Rene Herse compass Stampede pass with extra lite casing, schwalbe tubes, 30 ml of Caffee latex, 80 psi)

I got off and was about to pull the wheel and put in spare tire, I noticed sealant coming from the sidewall and spun the wheel and found sealant coming out from 2 punctures.

I decided to experiment and got out the mini pump. I pumped the tire up a bit (50 to 60 psi at a guess) and looked at the punctures...where sealant was coming out, wiped sealant away and kept watching
Sealant coming out kept at lower rate......(shoulda taken pics) so I kept watching and wiping in about 10 minutes no more sealant, so I pumped it up to maybe 65 or 70 and made it the 2 remaining miles home

Pumped it up to 90 or and so far seems to be holding

My takeaways

1) sealant works better at lower pressure so use lower pressure and time to let it do it's thing
2) pretty sure is has helped with smaller puncture I did not see
3) flip a coin between putting sealant in a a prophylactic or carrying sealant to use to try to do a fix
4) don't blast away with a co2 cartridge
5) Patience grasshopper
6) may got back to conti tubes as I have had more flats that expected with the schwalbe

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-23-24, 10:29 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Were the Conti tubes perhaps a little wider in the uninflated state?

Tubes stretch to fill a mounted tire, quite a bit actually.

But a stretched tube wall will produce a bigger hole after being punctured with the same thorn than a less-stretched tube.

As you suggested, sealants work best at lower pressures and smaller holes.

I've wondered myself how CO2 affects the sealing ability of latex versus air(?).
Old 02-24-24, 02:42 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I'd be curious about this too. I got some Schwalbe tubes recently that are labeled as being suitable for up to and including 700x28s. I'm using them like that and haven't flatted yet (ask again tomorrow), but these tubes are really small. I think the Conti tubes that say 700x25 max are bigger.
Old 02-24-24, 06:50 AM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
I've set a few people up with sealant and have received positive feedback. Most recently, in a fit of experimentation ( or laziness), I repaired a personal slow leak with an ounce of sealant.
Old 02-24-24, 08:17 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 418 Posts
squirtdad How long had the sealant been in the tube? I've heard that it doesn't last that long somewhere, and wonder when you put it in.
Old 02-24-24, 02:07 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by daverup
squirtdad How long had the sealant been in the tube? I've heard that it doesn't last that long somewhere, and wonder when you put it in.
I put it in about 4 to 6 weeks ago.

caffelatex shows this for lifespan of a up to a year in a tube or tubularUsing the recommended quantity for tyre size/type, the expected Caffélatex lifespan is:
  • Tubular (or Caffélatex inserted into latex/butyl inner tube): up to 1 year
  • UST Tubeless tyre: 2-6 months
  • Tubeless-ready tyre: 1-4 months
  • Tube-type tyre: 1-3 months
In the impossibility of knowing the specific conditions (kind of wheel/tyre set-up, tyre sidewall thickness and porosities, external temperature and humidity, bicycle storage conditions…), we recommend checking Caffélatex every 2 months, to make sure it’s liquid and therefore ensures its puncture preventive action.
When dry, Caffélatex-sealed wheels are still air-tight, but Caffélatex won’t actively repair punctures.

https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en-us...e-tyre-sealant

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-24-24, 02:08 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by dddd

Tubes stretch to fill a mounted tire, quite a bit actually.

But a stretched tube wall will produce a bigger hole after being punctured with the same thorn than a less-stretched tube.

As you suggested, sealants work best at lower pressures and smaller holes.

I've wondered myself how CO2 affects the sealing ability of latex versus air(?).
I will have to look not sure of the top of my head....