Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How often do you recharge your blinking lights?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How often do you recharge your blinking lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 04:28 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,016 Posts
after 10 to 12 hours of riding typically.

Old 04-15-23, 05:19 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sounds like an AI-generated post.
InstructGPT?
Old 04-15-23, 07:23 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The Garmin radar unit lasts 6 hours, so, every 1-3 rides generally although I can count it to die on a third ride.
Old 04-15-23, 08:22 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I have never had to recharge any blinking lights, nor buy any batteries for them in the last 56 years of riding bicycles.
Old 04-15-23, 09:10 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
My Cygolites indicate they need recharging when they are turned on or off. Quite convenient.
Likes For tankist:
Old 04-16-23, 08:21 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Someone PM"ed this to me.
At $8, Good point about just carrying a 2nd set spare, and letting them go to 0%.

I'm with you on using an inexpensive set of bike lights even though I was willing to spend $3K on buying my recumbent trike. A lot of times the only difference between an inexpensive set of lights and the more expensive ones is the markup to make it saleable by a bike shop that needs a certain profit margin to stay in business (worked in one so I know). This is the sub-$10 set I have used for several years and are identical to the Lezyne Drive 100 that sell for a lot more at bike shops. https://www.ebay.com/itm/125807072450 The run time in flashing mode is about 6 hours. Since they are so inexpensive I have more than one set and could even carry a spare if I thought it might run low (rarely had that happen). I know how long my rides are so recharge them between 5 and 6 hours of use. I even found a newer version of this light that uses chip-on-board LEDs that are more efficient that individual LEDs but those versions can only be ordered from China with long shipping times,

There is good reason to limit the number of charges you apply to a lithium ion battery. If you look up the specifications to most reliable battery manufacturers like Panasonic or to the Department of Energy website you will find that 500 recharges is what they specify before the battery capacity declines to 80% of full charge. You don't need to discharge the battery to the point where the light turns off by itself but if you do not recharge every time you use the light you will prolong the lifetime.
Old 04-16-23, 12:06 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
About every second ride or 5-6 hours of use.
Old 04-17-23, 08:42 AM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
Got a cheap set. Do you recharge them after every ride?
What's the run time on your lights and how long are your rides?

This is like asking "How often should I put gas in my car". The answer is "It depends...".

If your lights have a 90 minute run time and your rides are typically 20 - 30 minutes...charge it after every other ride. If your rides are 60 - 90 minutes, charge it after every ride. No rocket surgery involved with this.
Old 04-17-23, 02:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I have never had to recharge any blinking lights, nor buy any batteries for them in the last 56 years of riding bicycles.
I used to ride without lights. Then a local rider died because she was riding in an area of dappled sunlight - so, largely invisible - and a van pulled out of a driveway right in front of her. I decided aesthetics are secondary to safety.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-17-23, 05:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Yep, AI

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-17-23, 05:52 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I get about 6 rides out of my taillight (Cygolite Hotrod) before it warns me to charge it. I get more out of my Cygolite headlight, but I charge them both when the taillight needs it.
Old 04-17-23, 06:46 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by genejockey
I used to ride without lights. Then a local rider died because she was riding in an area of dappled sunlight - so, largely invisible - and a van pulled out of a driveway right in front of her. I decided aesthetics are secondary to safety.
She did not die because she had no lights, she died because she did not have the brains or education to keep her from riding in poor light with no lights. Even with lights it is far more hazardous to ride a bicycle in the dark than in daylight. I simply never thought it was worth the trouble to ride a bicycle at night, there is no reason to. Educated people know what is risky, and some of them take risks anyway because they are adults and figure the benefit outweighs the consequences. It is evolution, if you are not smart enough to figure out what can kill you, then you will not be around to pass your "knowledge" onto future generations as long as you otherwise may. I am an old man and I know as many or more dead people than living, it comes with the years, and I don't feel sorry for anyone who dies from poor decision making, only for those who died because of the poor decisions of others, who were victims of the greed or ignorance of their peers.
Old 04-17-23, 06:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

She did not die because she had no lights, she died because she did not have the brains or education to keep her from riding in poor light with no lights. Even with lights it is far more hazardous to ride a bicycle in the dark than in daylight. I simply never thought it was worth the trouble to ride a bicycle at night, there is no reason to. Educated people know what is risky, and some of them take risks anyway because they are adults and figure the benefit outweighs the consequences. It is evolution, if you are not smart enough to figure out what can kill you, then you will not be around to pass your "knowledge" onto future generations as long as you otherwise may. I am an old man and I know as many or more dead people than living, it comes with the years, and I don't feel sorry for anyone who dies from poor decision making, only for those who died because of the poor decisions of others, who were victims of the greed or ignorance of their peers.
She was riding in the middle of the day, not at night.

Old 04-17-23, 06:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I don't think "dappled sunlight" means what you think it does.
Old 04-17-23, 07:52 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Good catch.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-17-23, 08:02 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
Misplaced a taillamp. Found it 2½ years later. Wouldn't take a charge. Charge 'em every month or two even if you didn't use 'em.

Last edited by tcs; 04-17-23 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-18-23, 04:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Lights and brains/education are not mutually exclusive. Blinking lights improve your visibility to traffic at any time of day, so I run them as a matter of course in daylight - especially at the rear. I don't see any downside here. I don't ride at night out of choice and I try to avoid dawn and dusk too because of the low sun. For me, that's the worst risk.
Old 04-18-23, 05:18 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
You're shooting from the hip as usual. Did you not read the part of his post about "dappled sunlight"? She was riding in the daytime! Posts like yours are selfish, unkind and unnecessary.
Old 04-18-23, 06:10 AM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by genejockey
She was riding in the middle of the day, not at night.
That does not matter, if you you do not have the capacity to realize when a situation is hazardous and see what it could mean, then you do not belong there and if you do not have the intelligence to remove yourself from those situations then the universe will do it for you sooner or later.
Old 04-18-23, 06:19 AM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Lights and brains/education are not mutually exclusive. Blinking lights improve your visibility to traffic at any time of day, so I run them as a matter of course in daylight - especially at the rear. I don't see any downside here. I don't ride at night out of choice and I try to avoid dawn and dusk too because of the low sun. For me, that's the worst risk.
I ride most miles on this bike in traffic with no helmet and just a rear coaster brake. Been riding bicycles on public roads for over a half-century. I don't get vaccines, never used condoms or seatbelts and have run automobiles and motorcycles over 100mph longer than anyone but a pro race-driver. If I get run over tomorrow that is not so bad as I have actually lived. I feel sorry for those who always do what they are told, always follow rules. If you can think independently and critically and know your world and your place in it, then you don't need to worry or have any fear, you can make your own rules and live among those who are not free, but be free yourself and alive.
Old 04-18-23, 06:21 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That does not matter, if you you do not have the capacity to realize when a situation is hazardous and see what it could mean, then you do not belong there and if you do not have the intelligence to remove yourself from those situations then the universe will do it for you sooner or later.
You must be a gas at funerals, prattling on about how stupid the departed was.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-18-23, 06:22 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I ride most miles on this bike in traffic with no helmet and just a rear coaster brake. Been riding bicycles on public roads for over a half-century. I don't get vaccines, never used condoms or seatbelts and have run automobiles and motorcycles over 100mph longer than anyone but a pro race-driver. If I get run over tomorrow that is not so bad as I have actually lived. I feel sorry for those who always do what they are told, always follow rules. If you can think independently and critically and know your world and your place in it, then you don't need to worry or have any fear, you can make your own rules and live among those who are not free, but be free yourself and alive.
Yeah, I think we're done here.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-18-23, 06:43 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Clearly cognitive decline with age is a myth, promulgated by Big Blinkie.
Old 04-18-23, 06:54 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Rear blinker is PB superflash which uses regular batteries, they last a long time as I only use it when necessary. …
You always have the option to put rechargeable AAAs in this light. I do.
Likes For canalligators:
Old 04-18-23, 07:01 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
I wish there was a way to automatically block postings by specific users. I would use it sparingly, but it would be useful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.