Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Passoni Titanio

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Passoni Titanio

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-20, 07:03 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Boerd
The build is stiff. Love it. Very different compared to the Moots RSL - which is what I intended. A bit more stable at high speed. It feels connected to the road in a visceral way. It definitely puts a smile on my face. I guess on a longer ride I will like the Moots better - the fork, the handlebar, etc are less stiff. However, for a 1 or 2 Diablo climbs the Passoni won me over.
Both bikes I have are custom and the dimensions are almost identical; the Moots toptube has a higher slope. The Passoni has thicker toptube, downtube, chainstais, etc.
Is the frame all 6/4 TI which is more common larger tube designs?

I ask since I have a Litespeed customized by Douglass who stated the below:

The most advanced tube currently available is 6/4Al Titanium. This can
make a tube that is 30% stronger again, even compared to the best 3/2.5.
However 6/4 is notoriously hard to work with. It’s made into sheets, then
formed into tubes. As these don’t even have to start their life as
cylindrical, 6/4 is ideal for frame designs which demand a high degree of
unusual shaping.

Last edited by joesch; 07-16-20 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-16-20, 07:12 AM
Boerd

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RSL 2018, Passoni Titanio 2020

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Is the frame all 6/4 TI which is more common larger tube designs?

I ask since I have a Litespeed customized by Douglass who stated the below:

The most advanced tube currently available is 6/4Al Titanium. This can
make a tube that is 30% stronger again, even compared to the best 3/2.5.
However 6/4 is notoriously hard to work with. It’s made into sheets, then
formed into tubes. As these don’t even have to start their life as
cylindrical, 6/4 is ideal for frame designs which demand a high degree of
unusual shaping.
According to Passoni, the headtube, bottom bracket and dropout shells are Ti 5, the rest is Ti 9:

Tubes: Titanium grade 9 (3Al/2,5V) with different thicknesses, drawn and strengthened. Titanium grade 5 (6Al/4V) for head tube, bottom bracket shell and dropouts, CNC machined
Front triangle: round tubes, top tube Ø 36,4 mm, seat tube Ø 35 mm, down tube Ø 48 mm Bi-oval.
Rear triangle: seat stays taper Ø 19 mm. Oval chain stays taper 31x20 mm
Bottom bracket shell: titanium grade 5, CNC machined, Passoni engraved logo, BSA threading
Head tube: integrated conical Ø 56 mm, CNC machined, bearings Ø 1"1/8 upper – 1"1/2 lower
Dropouts: Passoni project, shell–shaped, titanium grade 5, CNC machined Ergal replaceable hanger
Seat post clamping device: seat clamp customized Passoni
Finishing / Graphics: tubes glazed by hand, graphics applied directly on the tube in titanium by sandblast
Colour: Pure Titanium
Fork: Columbus Futura Caliper, customized Passoni
Likes For Boerd:
Old 07-17-20, 06:18 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

According to Passoni, the headtube, bottom bracket and dropout shells are Ti 5, the rest is Ti 9:

Tubes: Titanium grade 9 (3Al/2,5V) with different thicknesses, drawn and strengthened. Titanium grade 5 (6Al/4V) for head tube, bottom bracket shell and dropouts, CNC machined
Front triangle: round tubes, top tube Ø 36,4 mm, seat tube Ø 35 mm, down tube Ø 48 mm Bi-oval.
Rear triangle: seat stays taper Ø 19 mm. Oval chain stays taper 31x20 mm
Bottom bracket shell: titanium grade 5, CNC machined, Passoni engraved logo, BSA threading
Head tube: integrated conical Ø 56 mm, CNC machined, bearings Ø 1"1/8 upper – 1"1/2 lower
Dropouts: Passoni project, shell–shaped, titanium grade 5, CNC machined Ergal replaceable hanger
Seat post clamping device: seat clamp customized Passoni
Finishing / Graphics: tubes glazed by hand, graphics applied directly on the tube in titanium by sandblast
Colour: Pure Titanium
Fork: Columbus Futura Caliper, customized Passoni
Quite a work of frame building and architeching science and art. Love the finish work and the engraved badge. Must ride like a dream.
Old 08-18-23, 06:59 PM
nycracer1986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

why in gods name would you disgrace that wonderful Italian frame with SRAM group? Puke
Old 08-18-23, 10:56 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by nycracer1986
why in gods name would you disgrace that wonderful Italian frame with SRAM group? Puke
I'm wondering the same. Campagnolo does have some beautiful wireless components, no?
Old 08-18-23, 11:03 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
That were introduced only a few months ago.....
Likes For Mackers:
Old 08-19-23, 08:09 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
superb frame and bike the welds are magnifisicient. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your bike
Old 08-19-23, 08:11 AM
nycracer1986

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quite a work of frame building and architeching science and art. Love the finish work and the engraved badge. Must ride like a dream.
jokes aside, this is a beautiful frame. I’ve been considering getting one myself from Passoni or from Doriano de Rosa at Bixxis.

how does the Passoni ride? Which finishing did you do? Sandblasting of hand finishing?
Old 08-19-23, 08:27 AM
joesch

jokes aside, this is a beautiful frame. I’ve been considering getting one myself from Passoni or from Doriano de Rosa at Bixxis.

how does the Passoni ride? Which finishing did you do? Sandblasting of hand finishing?
Would have been nice to hear about the ride from OP Boerd who last posted on BF 6/22.
Would have been nice to hear how it compares to his Moots?
I love the ride on all my Ti bikes including classic Colnago Titanio which is a BiTitan model so quite diff frame design.
Old 08-19-23, 12:16 PM
nycracer1986

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Would have been nice to hear about the ride from OP Boerd who last posted on BF 6/22.
Would have been nice to hear how it compares to his Moots?
I love the ride on all my Ti bikes including classic Colnago Titanio which is a BiTitan model so quite diff frame design.
do you have experience with modern steel frames? Considering a BIXXIS steel or Ti frame build. How does the ride quality compare steel vs. Ti? I’ve been told not much of a difference at all. Is this your experience?
Old 08-19-23, 03:51 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
do you have experience with modern steel frames? Considering a BIXXIS steel or Ti frame build. How does the ride quality compare steel vs. Ti? I’ve been told not much of a difference at all. Is this your experience?

Call me thick, but are you not the person who just spent $24,000 on a new Pinarello and are having problems?
Old 08-19-23, 04:05 PM
joesch

There is a difference and the newer steel frames are closer to TI in performance, comfort and feel.
Even the latest AL frames were nice improvements over the vintage AL frames.
Same story for CF, the older lugged CF frames are not as stiff and light as the latest CF.
Old 08-19-23, 04:43 PM
nycracer1986

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There is a difference and the newer steel frames are closer to TI in performance, comfort and feel.
Even the latest AL frames were nice improvements over the vintage AL frames.
Same story for CF, the older lugged CF frames are not as stiff and light as the latest CF.
in a comparison between a new modern Ti frame vs Modern Steel frame, is there a noticeable difference? I’m going to order a Bixxis made to measure from Doriano and still haven’t decided ti vs steel. He says that the two frames ride very similarly however Ti of course has the advantages of minor weight savings and will not rust or corrode with time. Evidently the ride quality is about the same between the two? Is that your experience or do have you experienced a difference in ride quality that is noticeable?

assuming it’s the exact same frame from same builder, differences just being the material (steel vs Ti)
Old 08-19-23, 06:01 PM
joesch

in a comparison between a new modern Ti frame vs Modern Steel frame, is there a noticeable difference? I’m going to order a Bixxis made to measure from Doriano and still haven’t decided ti vs steel. He says that the two frames ride very similarly however Ti of course has the advantages of minor weight savings and will not rust or corrode with time. Evidently the ride quality is about the same between the two? Is that your experience or do have you experienced a difference in ride quality that is noticeable?

assuming it’s the exact same frame from same builder, differences just being the material (steel vs Ti)
The rides will be pretty close, not much diff.
If cost is a factor, go steel.
This link will support that choice: https://www.rodbikes.com/articles/st...-titanium.html
Old 08-19-23, 06:03 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts

Given your recent experience with your $24K Pinarello, I hope you are choosing a different bike shop for this purchase. Bixxis uses Columbus Spirit which is very close to Stainless in corrosion resistance so that is not a deciding factor. Also the weight savings at this level are nonexistent for titanium. You should talk to the builder as well as the bike shop you have selected for this purchase and outline your particulars as well as use case.
Old 08-19-23, 06:17 PM
nycracer1986

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Given your recent experience with your $24K Pinarello, I hope you are choosing a different bike shop for this purchase. Bixxis uses Columbus Spirit which is very close to Stainless in corrosion resistance so that is not a deciding factor. Also the weight savings at this level are nonexistent for titanium. You should talk to the builder as well as the bike shop you have selected for this purchase and outline your particulars as well as use case.
I’m not buying through a shop - I’m buying from Bixxis and I spoke to Doriano Derosa (the builder) as I said in my last post and as I mentioned he said they were of very similar ride quality. I was just curious if you guys had experience. Regarding the Pinnerallo that everyone keeps bringing up (thank you yes it’s a beauty) I’m not having major issues - I was just saying the wireless app connection wasn’t working properly so I couldn’t make the modifications it will allow like shift assist and shifting speed etc. Someone in that thread commented with the contact info for Campagnolo USA whom they said have helped them wirh a similar issue before so I look forward to doing that.

im likely going with TI on the Bixxis frame though - I was curious what the experience was here. I think I’m all set though thanks for the intel
Old 08-19-23, 06:18 PM
nycracer1986

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I’m not buying through a shop - I’m buying from Bixxis and I spoke to Doriano Derosa (the builder) as I said in my last post and as I mentioned he said they were of very similar ride quality. I was just curious if you guys had experience. Regarding the Pinnerallo that everyone keeps bringing up (thank you yes it’s a beauty) I’m not having major issues - I was just saying the wireless app connection wasn’t working properly so I couldn’t make the modifications it will allow like shift assist and shifting speed etc. Someone in that thread commented with the contact info for Campagnolo USA whom they said have helped them wirh a similar issue before so I look forward to doing that.

im likely going with TI on the Bixxis frame though - I was curious what the experience was here. I think I’m all set though thanks for the intel
Likes For nycracer1986: