Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

Chain Rings for three bolt Sugino MAXY???

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 10:47 AM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts

Hello all,
I am doing maintenance a wonderful older tall NIshiki for a client, and he would love to have compact ring,in the low 30s, on this bike to make the hills a little more tolerable. Still running the 5 speed freewheel.with Suntour VGT lux derailleur (love it!)
Crank is a 50/40 and 171 length. Would just switch out the 40 ring, not try and add a ring.

Or do I just have to sacrifice the all original bike and and replace the crank with 5 bolt?

Last edited by Nubra; 08-29-23 at 10:52 AM. Reason: add info
Old 08-29-23, 10:52 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I think a 106 BCD Max's out at 33 or 32 teeth. I'd look for a freewheel or cassette cog that has a 6 arm symmetry and enough "meat", and drill 3 holes.

Last edited by bark_eater; 08-29-23 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-29-23, 11:08 AM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Originally Posted by bark_eater
I think a 106 BCD Max's out at 33 or 32 teeth. I'd look for a freewheel or cassette cog that has a 6 arm symmetry and enough "meat", and drill 3 holes.
Intriguing! Not sure what you mean by six arm symmetry? Can you elaborate?

Old 08-29-23, 01:24 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Nubra
Can you elaborate?
There has to be metal where a hole would be drilled.
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 08-29-23, 01:26 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by droppedandlost
There has to be metal where a hole would be drilled.
Right, got that part, but I was wondering what he meant about "six arm symmetry"? Thanks for reply though.
Nubra

Old 08-29-23, 01:47 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Your crank has 3 arm symmetry....
Old 08-29-23, 06:03 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by bark_eater
Your crank has 3 arm symmetry....

Ah ha!!! OK got it. Thanks. I am lucky enough to have 32 tooth aluminum TA chairing that was given to me after I did some work on a TA Crank bike for a friend. But I hate to ruin it if it doesn't work!
Here is the 32 TA with 3 of the arms lined up with the 3 bolt Sugino. I think I will have to take it to a machinist (and/or a bicycle builders here I kinda know) and have them drill the holes for me. I don't trust doing it with hand held tools. That is a $30-$40 ring there, sigh.

But it would be well worth keeping the bike with the original crank. As you can see, it has minimal wear. Maybe I can sell this 40T ring here to offset the cost of the TA ring.
Anyways, thanks for the idea bark_eater. Cheers!

Old 08-29-23, 07:49 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
Can you get a bigger freewheel?
Likes For kroozer:
Old 08-29-23, 11:18 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by kroozer
Can you get a bigger freewheel?
It already has a 32 freewheel

Old 08-30-23, 02:58 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Nubra
Here is the 32 TA with 3 of the arms lined up with the 3 bolt Sugino. I think I will have to take it to a machinist (and/or a bicycle builders here I kinda know) and have them drill the holes for me. I don't trust doing it with hand held tools. That is a $30-$40 ring there, sigh.
It's not clear to me if you want new holes in the ring, or new holes in the arms.
Sheldon says a 32t ring should clear your arm's existing holes, so holes in the ring is the simplest route, and a doddle to do:
Clamp them in the correct position.
Drill one hole, use a bit exactly the size of the existing hole and use that hole as a guide.
Put one of the existing bolts through the new hole and just snug it down, check position of the other two undrilled holes, and clamp them AND tighten the bolt.
Drill your other two holes.

If you instead want new holes in your arms (for aesthetics or when that 32 wears out) -
If you drill 10mm holes for standard bolts there won't be much left of the arms.
Drill holes for the existing bolts, I think they are 5mm, and you'll need three sleeves, 5mm id and 10mm od, and three 12mm washers.
If that sounds good, pm me and I'll make you the sleeves nc (and I'll look for some washers).

You probably can drill the holes well enough, you need a decent screw-clamp or vice or locking pliers or similar.
Place and position the six-hole ring (put the ring on the frame-side, so the measuring below is correct.
Clamp it and check that it's still placed correctly.

Mark the centres of the holes as best you can with whatever pointy thing you use, then take the ring off.
I draw a circle around the bottom corner where the holes meet the undrilled arm, take the ring off, then put the mark in the middle of that circle.
Measure all your marks' radius-to-the edge of the swage and re-mark your holes using the average of your three measurements, making sure they are centrered on the arms; make the marks as a pair of lines forming an X so when you drill the hole and loose the mark you can see after if you got it right.
Place the six-hole ring back on to double check.

Centre-punch the marks.
Fix the crank to something sturdy and drill your first hole, with a bit smaller than what you'll finish with; this give you a chance to check if you got the hole in the right place before it's too big to fix (and to check/refine your drilling technique if necessary).
A hole in the wrong place can be fixed with a jeweller's file.
If it's good, drill the other two, smaller drill bit first and check location after each.
Once they are all good, make them the right size.

Last edited by oneclick; 08-30-23 at 03:13 AM.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 08-31-23, 03:43 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by oneclick
It's not clear to me if you want new holes in the ring, or new holes in the arms.
Sheldon says a 32t ring should clear your arm's existing holes, so holes in the ring is the simplest route, and a doddle to do:
Thanks! Wow offer to machine up the sleeves for the crank is awesome, but I am going to wimp out and put on a modern crank, using a sugino triple, changing out the spindle to s shorter drive side (lots of used spindles in the drawer in the bike co op) and set the derailluer to run only the 48 and the 38. I tried to include the tiny 28 but I cannot position the suntour Comp V to run all three and really don't want to take off this front Mech.

I am going to place the crank on sale here for shipping cost only. There are a lot of members doing restorations, and this crank has NO mileage on it. Really clean.
Again really appreciate your help. If you want the crank lmk, you have first refusal.
Cheers,

Old 08-31-23, 05:59 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Several companies made 3-arm 106mm BCD cranks that should have interchangeable rings, but none have been in production for several decades, so sourcing replacement rings can be a challenge.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-04-23, 02:15 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Several companies made 3-arm 106mm BCD cranks that should have interchangeable rings, but none have been in production for several decades, so sourcing replacement rings can be a challenge.

Thank you very much Sir John.

Great diagram!
Sourcing is indeed a problem. I will keep working on it and if you have read all the thread replies, you will see that I wimped out and put another crank on it. But I am going to keep the original crank, and If I can find a six arm cassette ring with 32 or 34 tooth count, I will definitely try what bark eater suggested. I just don't want to risk that TA ring.
Thanks again, Nubra

Old 09-04-23, 02:47 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Have a look at this sale just down the list. Buy it! (for the rings)
Old 09-05-23, 09:24 AM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by clubman
Have a look at this sale just down the list. Buy it! (for the rings)
Thanks clubman, but I have those rings in excellent condition. I was looking for a compact (ring with 30's count).

Old 09-05-23, 09:26 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Ah, likely rare as hen's teeth.