Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Teflon chain spray for everything, Am I stupid?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 07:16 PM
rc5781

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

I started getting a clicking sound on every crank as I was riding. This can be due to numerous things, I know. First I sprayed teflon lubricant that I use for my chain into the bottom bracket and let it sink in with gravity and some crank spinning. Voila, the noise went away. (I've done this twice). So it got me to thinking, instead of disassembling and greasing the bearings on my rear and front hubs, can I just spray them periodically with the same teflon lubricant (included with nifty little wd-40 style skinny plastic insert spray guide) to keep them "greased" and "maintained"? Am I stupid?
Old 05-18-23, 07:40 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Stock up on it. Teflon is a PFAS and may or will be regulate away in a few years. Not the toxic PFAS but still a forever one.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 05-20-23 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-18-23, 07:45 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
I don't know if you're stupid, but I do know that you are supposed to use grease on bearings.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-18-23, 07:59 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by rc5781
I started getting a clicking sound on every crank as I was riding. This can be due to numerous things, I know. First I sprayed teflon lubricant that I use for my chain into the bottom bracket and let it sink in with gravity and some crank spinning. Voila, the noise went away. (I've done this twice). So it got me to thinking, instead of disassembling and greasing the bearings on my rear and front hubs, can I just spray them periodically with the same teflon lubricant (included with nifty little wd-40 style skinny plastic insert spray guide) to keep them "greased" and "maintained"? Am I stupid?
Better to drill the hubs and bottom bracket to fit grease nipples, then you have the same ease of application but you can also use an appropriate lubricant - most spray lubes are too light to protect hubs and bottom bracket bearings from wear.
Old 05-18-23, 08:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Treating the symptom, with a short lived therapy, and avoiding the cause is not how I would want to be treated. Andy
Old 05-18-23, 08:08 PM
rc5781

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Treating the symptom, with a short lived therapy, and avoiding the cause is not how I would want to be treated. Andy
Unless the "cause" is too expensive to treat, and the "treatment" works until said problem can be replaced by a thrifty enough solution...
Old 05-18-23, 08:16 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
... First I sprayed teflon lubricant that I use for my chain into the bottom bracket and let it sink in with gravity and some crank spinning. ...
How does the lubricant get onto the bottom bracket bearings themselves? Aren't you just lubricating the interface between the inner bearing race and the crank shaft?
Old 05-18-23, 08:20 PM
rc5781

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
How does the lubricant get onto the bottom bracket bearings themselves? Aren't you just lubricating the interface between the inner bearing race and the crank shaft?
I'm just telling you what I did and what happened, twice. My bottom bracket is: SUNTOUR BB10-XCT-SQS-113-CBT CARTRIDGE (68mm x 113mm, Cartridge bearing, Square taper, Solid cromoly axle, English threading, M8 bolts included)

Last edited by rc5781; 05-18-23 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-18-23, 10:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Unless the "cause" is too expensive to treat, and the "treatment" works until said problem can be replaced by a thrifty enough solution...
a replacement BB is like 13 to 16 bucks. can of teflon lube 8 to 10 bucks, which one is the thrifty long term solutions?

Last edited by squirtdad; 05-18-23 at 10:09 PM.
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-19-23, 12:20 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
It depends.

In an industrial setting it’s not unheard of to use triflow to get through the shift. Or Moly chain lube until next scheduled service.

Then put the appropriate grease in the zerk fittings when time allows.

The idea of drilling and tapping for a zerk fitting on a BB shell is interesting.
Old 05-19-23, 12:26 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Stock up on it Teflon is a PFAS and will be regular away in a few years. Not the toxic PFAS but still a forever one.
Good to know.
Old 05-19-23, 08:00 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Bicycles have been with us longer than cars. Throughout that time, riders have suffered the same maintenance issues, flat tires, chain wear, worn bearings, etc.

May I ask how you became the mechanical genius that has finally figured out solutions to the age old problems that your fellows have been working on all this time?
Old 05-19-23, 08:15 AM
rc5781

Originally Posted by Kontact
Bicycles have been with us longer than cars. Throughout that time, riders have suffered the same maintenance issues, flat tires, chain wear, worn bearings, etc.

May I ask how you became the mechanical genius that has finally figured out solutions to the age old problems that your fellows have been working on all this time?
I'm just trying stuff out and sharing what has worked for me. I ride practically everyday, unless the ground is wet, about 17-20 miles in the suburbs and on my local bike trail. Been doing it for almost 12 years now.

Also, I buy cheaper but quality mountain bikes. So I'm free to experiment with maintenance. Currently riding a 27.5 inch Gravity Basecamp and LOVE it (even though I bent the frame a little by overtightening my rear wheel, lol). Got that bad boy for about $350, pre-pandemic.
Old 05-19-23, 08:20 AM
Kontact 

I'm just trying stuff out and sharing what has worked for me. I ride practically everyday, unless the ground is wet, about 17-20 miles in the suburbs and on my local bike trail. Been doing it for almost 12 years now.

Also, I buy cheaper but quality mountain bikes. So I'm free to experiment with maintenance. Currently riding a 27.5 inch Gravity Basecamp and LOVE it (even though I bent the frame a little by overtightening my rear wheel, lol). Got that bad boy for about $350, pre-pandemic.
You're coming to a forum that is full of individuals with decades experience and essentially suggesting that they are the idiots for not having realized all these "sensible" solutions that you managed to come up with.

So; thanks. I'm sure aerosol bearings will be the new hot industry trend now that someone with a brain has thought this through for all of us.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-19-23, 08:23 AM
rc5781

You're coming to a forum that is full of individuals with decades experience and essentially suggesting that they are the idiots for not having realized all these "sensible" solutions that you managed to come up with.

So; thanks. I'm sure aerosol bearings will be the new hot industry trend now that someone with a brain has thought this through for all of us.
I guess if you pay thousands of dollars for your bicycle, it makes you a little cantankerous. I forgive you...
Old 05-19-23, 08:30 AM
Kontact 

I guess if you pay thousands of dollars for your bicycle, it makes you a little cantankerous. I forgive you...
I didn't and I don't.

What makes me cantankerous is the bizarre attitude that so many people have that the material world around them was designed and executed by idiots who couldn't see the "common sense" solutions that some guy with a Huffy came up with over the weekend.

Literally billions of people have owned bicycles. Yet you have "realized" what they were all missing? Hubris.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-19-23, 08:32 AM
rc5781

I didn't and I don't.

What makes me cantankerous is the bizarre attitude that so many people have that the material world around them was designed and executed by idiots who couldn't see the "common sense" solutions that some guy with a Huffy came up with over the weekend.

Literally billions of people have owned bicycles. Yet you have "realized" what they were all missing? Hubris.
Fine...I'll let you have the last word...
Old 05-19-23, 08:53 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
)
I've done this twice suggests it is not a long term good approach, but a short term hack (which are not bad per se, but lead to issue down the road if proper maintenance is not done)

Old 05-19-23, 09:08 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Please stop using thrifty to mean expensively cheap. Fixing a problem so things will last longer and work properly is the thrifty thing to do, trying desperately to keep it hanging on and working improperly or without the bare necessities to then have to potentially replace more stuff or just cause more issues down the road.

Generally spraying a bike is not good as you can get lubricants and oils on your braking surfaces and if you are truly thrifty you would use a drip lube you can use less of and also refill the bottle (potentially).

In the case of bearings use the proper grease for them unless you are racing as a professional with team mechanics and sponsorships you should do thing properly so your bike will last longer. Replacing a bottom bracket especially square taper could be pretty low cost or get a more expensive one with better seals and such and it will last and last and last and spin more smoothly and maybe might have replaceable bearings or something like that.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-19-23, 09:48 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
The dude asked a simple question. He didn't say he was a "mechanical genius." Lighten up.
Old 05-19-23, 10:42 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
It depends.

The idea of drilling and tapping for a zerk fitting on a BB shell is interesting.
yes.. if you're interested in eventually completely filling your frame with Grease......
Old 05-19-23, 10:58 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
What makes me cantankerous is the bizarre attitude that so many people have that the material world around them was designed and executed by idiots who couldn't see the "common sense" solutions that some guy with a Huffy came up with over the weekend. ... Hubris.
This may be due to the American obsession with the maverick, e.g., how Alan Mulally left Boeing to save Ford.
Old 05-19-23, 10:59 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Am I stupid?
Not necessarily, but.... Though you've been a member for a number of years, something has prompted you to pop up and begin offering ill considered advice in a number of threads.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-19-23, 11:10 AM
rc5781

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Not necessarily, but.... Though you've been a member for a number of years, something has prompted you to pop up and begin offering ill considered advice in a number of threads.
I'm not "advising" anyone. I'm just sharing things that have worked for me. I like RIDING my bike, not MAINTAINING it. People have different approaches to things.
Old 05-19-23, 11:14 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
OK but issuing a PSA isn't too far removed from giving advice. Folks don't seem to have found much value in the tips but maybe that can change.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 05-19-23 at 11:28 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.