Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Flat Pedal Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-23, 04:51 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Flat Pedal Shoes

I now prefer to ride with flat pedals. Is there a flat pedal shoe that has a stiff sole? I invested in Five Ten Free Rider shoes and found the sole to be very flexible. This caused pain in the ball of my foot. I switched to a cleated mountain bike shoe and did not install the cleat. There is no more pain in the ball of my foot. Ideally, I would want shoes that are made for flat pedals without the cleat.
Old 08-13-23, 05:07 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
I ride in Skechers hiking sneakers, they have thick non-slip sole. Plus, comfortable to walk around when you're taking a break.
Old 08-13-23, 06:16 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
I now prefer to ride with flat pedals. Is there a flat pedal shoe that has a stiff sole? I invested in Five Ten Free Rider shoes and found the sole to be very flexible. This caused pain in the ball of my foot. I switched to a cleated mountain bike shoe and did not install the cleat. There is no more pain in the ball of my foot. Ideally, I would want shoes that are made for flat pedals without the cleat.
I've been using, for the past several months, Specialized 2FO Roost shoes. They provide absolutely incredible grip! Paired with pedals that have grip pins, you'll be very happy! I believe that there is now a newer version of these terrific cycling shoes.

Five Ten Freerider Pro shoes are also very highly rated, albeit quite expensive and not for wide feet.

Good luck in your search.

Best regards
Barry, 77
New Jersey
Old 08-13-23, 06:26 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
I find having a large platform pedal is better than a stiff sole. With my platforms I can wear any shoe comfortably. I even did two tours using Crocs, comfortably. I commuted using Vans. One pair of Crocs was actually stiff, though I preferred the more flexible pair.
Likes For phughes:
Old 08-13-23, 06:36 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Maybe try some stiff shoe inserts (insoles) so you could wear any shoe you like. Haven't tried these, but found on a quick search: Amazon.com: Carbon Fiber Insole - 1 pc | Rigid Carbon Fiber Shoe Insert for Recovery | Graphite Shoe Insert for Foot Pain, Arthritis, Hallux Rigidus, Turf Toe & Mortons Toe | Stiff Soles W's 12-12.5 Men's 11-11.5 : Health & Household
Might also try a local shoe or sporting goods store.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-13-23, 06:56 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I ride in sneakers on platform pedals with toe clips and for the last few years I have inserts in them...arch support inserts with semi-rigid support from the balls of the feet to the arch. $12-$18 at Wal-Mart.
Old 08-13-23, 07:21 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
The bike store owner wore Vans. At the time I didn't care for them, but later decided to purchase a pair with good insoles. I use them now for work and play. Van's makes good shoes. Well made and durable.
Old 08-13-23, 12:39 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I got quite a surprise when I tried riding in basic Teva Universals, the cheapest ones they make, and that was on standard-sized pedals. They worked perfectly well.

Get a set of pedals that are long enough (Catalyst, in my case) and you can wear anything you like.
Old 08-16-23, 02:24 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I find having a large platform pedal is better than a stiff sole. With my platforms I can wear any shoe comfortably. I even did two tours using Crocs, comfortably. I commuted using Vans. One pair of Crocs was actually stiff, though I preferred the more flexible pair.
That would be my question is why not run a bigger pedal and spread the load.
Old 08-16-23, 02:40 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
^^^^^ Crank Bros "Stamp 7"

Old 08-16-23, 02:58 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
What has the world come to? Somebody somewhere needs to bring back the Bata Bikers. They would be ideal for most flat pedals
Old 08-16-23, 05:11 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by flan48

Five Ten Freerider Pro shoes are also very highly rated, albeit quite expensive and not for wide feet.

Freerider Pros are plenty stiff enough and fit my wide feet okay. I use them for mountain biking with wide CB Stamp pedals. A rock solid combination.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-16-23, 05:17 PM
daniell

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Freerider Pros are plenty stiff enough and fit my wide feet okay. I use them for mountain biking with wide CB Stamp pedals. A rock solid combination.
The sole of my Freerider non pros are less stiff than my sneakers. I would hate to buy the pro version and get stung again.
Old 08-16-23, 05:31 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
The sole of my Freerider non pros are less stiff than my sneakers. I would hate to buy the pro version and get stung again.
I don’t have the regular Freeriders to compare, but the Pros are much stiffer than any sneakers I’ve owned. They are obviously less stiff than my carbon road race shoes, but they don’t cause any foot pain when used with full sized mtb flat pedals.
Old 08-16-23, 06:04 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I ride 90% of my miles on flats. I have found shoes like Vanns and Five Tens to be heavy and too flexy. I look for a shoe that doesn't have a heavily lugged outsole. I like an outsole that is flat, firm and stiff. Another thing to consider is that a lot of shoes have substantial flare (width increase) on the sole at the ball of the foot. That puts my feet too far outboard for my liking. I also don't like a lot of heel rise in a bicycling shoe.

I have arrived at Under Armor Charged Pursuit as my go to shoe for riding flats. Check some out next time you are in a store that sells UA. UA has some killer deals online on a frequent basis.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 08-17-23 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-16-23, 06:51 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
I find my Specialized 2 FO flat 1.0 good for riding on wide flat pedals. Most of my riding is in dry conditions.

Last edited by Desert Ryder; 08-19-23 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-16-23, 09:31 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’m nearly a year into wearing only minimal/barefoot shoes, so I only wear shoes with a wide, foot-shaped toe box, no heel and no artificial stabilizing features.

Typically they also have a thin, very flexible sole. For biking, a transitional shoe like some of the Lem’s works well: all the other minimal/barefoot attributes but a thicker sole.

In particular I’m using the Primal Zen for biking and it works well. I would expect that some of the Altras could work well too if they didn’t have too deep of a tread.

Otto
Old 08-16-23, 09:40 PM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
Merrill hiking shoes work for me.
Likes For eljayski:
Old 08-17-23, 11:09 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Different strokes I guess. I found exactly the opposite. Like the OP, I prefer flat pedals and not being clipped in. I have a pair of Venzo flats on my TT bike and they always hurt my feet on long rides. The pedals on my other bikes look like regular old school pedals and they're far more comfortable with regular shoes.
Old 08-18-23, 01:17 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
A tree you may want to bark up to are power lifting shoes, specially deadlifting shoes. Because you are supposed to be handling a lot of weight the last thing you want is a squishy sole, those shoes are designed with very stiff ones.

In specific look at deadlifting shoes. Unlike squat shoes they don't have the higher heel. Check out Amazon for what is out there.
Old 08-18-23, 04:45 AM
daniell

Decades ago they had a plethora of what was called touring shoes. A few come to mind. Beta Bikers, Avocet, Sidi. What they all had in common were stiff soles. My $100 Five Ten will probably spend eternity in the closet. I have come to believe that only shoes that are intended for cleats will be stiff enough for me. I am now using Pearl Izumi shoes. The cleat area has a removable cover. At least once I started riding with these, I had no more metatarsal pain.
Likes For daniell:
Old 08-18-23, 05:02 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
some possible options include -

Pearl Izumi X Alp or Trans Alps - fairly / relatively stiff

Shimano ‘touring’ or ‘mountain touring’ shoes - including older models like the CT71 or more recent MT701 ... they are rated just 4 or 5 on the Shimano stiffness scale - but still significantly better than the majority of freeride shoes including Shimano’s own GR5 shoe

note : when installed, the bolt on cleat cap / sole plug will provide additional rigidity / stiffness to the Shimano touring shoes ... without the plug too flexible

Sixsixone Filter shoe is stiff - but has a very thick tongue

some Bontrager MTB shoes could also be an option - but be aware many models (if not most) run narrow
Old 08-19-23, 07:58 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Different strokes I guess. I found exactly the opposite. Like the OP, I prefer flat pedals and not being clipped in. I have a pair of Venzo flats on my TT bike and they always hurt my feet on long rides. The pedals on my other bikes look like regular old school pedals and they're far more comfortable with regular shoes.
I honestly don't understand what you are saying, and why you quoted me. I ride platform pedals as well. I do not use clip less. I feel a large platform pedal works, for me, with any shoe I want to wear. The platform supplies all the support my foot needs. There is no real flexing of the shoe because the pedal supports it. Now, if you run your seat too high and pedal toes down, that can change things make you place your foot too far back on the pedal because you are reaching. Put your seat where it should be and there are no issues.
Old 08-19-23, 10:27 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
I wish I'd bought more than one pair of these DVS/Cinelli Luster:

Super stiff sole, real leather, durable, good looking. I still wear the ones I've got even though they're beat to hell. Should maybe start looking for other options myself.

If you're a size 13 and like white shoes you can get a pair on ebay, it looks like. (If they were my size I'd have bought them rather than posting them.)
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 08-19-23 at 10:36 AM.
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 08-19-23, 01:04 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
Surprised to see Vans mentioned here, more than once. That said, they do now have a bike shoe, well BMX anyway. It is supposedly designed for bikes and pedal grip specifically - "VDFPR (Van Doren Factory Pedal Recipe) - This is our latest proprietary gum rubber compound, specifically formulated to enhance pedal grip and durability. Tested and approved by the Vans® innovation team and the top factory team riders, VDFPR is only available on BMX Wafflecup™ construction." I picked a pair up in a store and they are noticeably stiffer and heavier than a normal Van's sneaker (which are very flexible) but I doubt as stiff as many bike rider would be looking for?
Likes For SoCaled:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.