Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Determining Chainline

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Determining Chainline

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-23, 03:04 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Determining Chainline

I have an old mountain bike which has a triple crank. Being that the chainrings need to be replaced, I am considering a 1 X setup. Measuring from the middle chainring, the chainline is 55mm. How would I calculate the needed chainline for a 1 X setup?
Thanks
Old 10-23-23, 04:33 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
I have an old mountain bike which has a triple crank. Being that the chainrings need to be replaced, I am considering a 1 X setup. Measuring from the middle chainring, the chainline is 55mm. How would I calculate the needed chainline for a 1 X setup?
Thanks
There's nothing to calculate. The correct chainline for a frame doesn't change, and it should be intuitive that a single chainring would be the same distance as the middle chainring on a triple. Changing the crankset often requires a different bottom bracket (spindle length) to achieve the correct chainline for the bike.

However, are you sure you're measuring correctly? A typical "old mountain bike" has a chainline of 47.5-50mm. What bicycle are we talking about, exactly? Has the bottom bracket and/or crankset ever been replaced? It's possible the wrong BB was previously installed, which resulted in an incorrect chainline for that bike. Here's a good reference.

All About Bicycle Chainline
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 10-23-23, 04:53 AM
daniell

Giant ATX 770
Bottom Bracket 73 X 118
Replaced once with identical size
I was thinking of replacing it with Hollowtech ll bottom bracket.
Old 10-23-23, 05:14 AM
Jeff Neese

Giant ATX 770
Bottom Bracket 73 X 118
Replaced once with identical size
I was thinking of replacing it with Hollowtech ll bottom bracket.
Is there any reason to believe that the correct chainline for that bike isn't the industry-standard 47.5-50mm, and that somehow, somewhere a mistake was made? Is the bike stock, otherwise? Are you the one that installed the last BB?

If you can find specs for that bike that say otherwise, then of course go with the published specs. But I'd be really surprised if the correct chainline for that bike isn't the standard mountain triple which is 47.5-50mm. Especially a Giant, from the early 90s.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 10-23-23, 05:22 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Is there any reason to believe that the correct chainline for that bike isn't the industry-standard 47.5-50mm, and that somehow, somewhere a mistake was made? Is the bike stock, otherwise? Are you the one that installed the last BB?

If you can find specs for that bike that say otherwise, then of course go with the published specs. But I'd be really surprised if the correct chainline for that bike isn't the standard mountain triple which is 47.5-50mm. Especially a Giant, from the early 90s.
Thanks, I will take another measurement.
Old 10-23-23, 05:27 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
​​​​​​https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html
Old 10-23-23, 06:01 AM
daniell

I stand corrected. I measured again and it was 50mm. Will I be able to change over to a Hollowtech ll bottom bracket?
Likes For daniell:
Old 10-24-23, 01:35 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Think so - which 1x crank are you planning to use?
Old 10-24-23, 02:31 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
On paper, you want the center ring to line up perfectly with the center cog of your cassette. (presuming an odd number of cogs, else "split the difference" if an even number)
However, some of us match it to our specific needs.
For example, I tend to use my 3X9 on the middle ring and outer cogs mostly, so I use a slightly longer spindle to better match those cogs.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-24-23, 05:36 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
If you're going to replace with external cup BB and modern 2-piece cranks then the BB length is irrelevant. Assuming it's a double crank and you want to run a single ring, most people mount the 1x chainring on the inside of the spider.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 10-24-23, 09:21 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Thanks
Ideally, "by the book," for a 1x, you want the front chainline to be about 2 mm larger (further outwards) compared to your rear chainline.
If you run it with a "normal" cassette (i.e. not the ones with over 40T on the largest sprocket), you could go without the 2mm offset (how far inwards you can move the front chainring also also depends on your chainstay length).
How to measure the front and rear chainline

As far as I know, Shimano 1x cranks are designed to provide the wider chainline when used with Shimano Hollowtech II bottom brackets (and, if your frame has British, or "at least" Italian thread, you should be able to source a Shimano Hollowtech II BB).

P.S.
I see going from 3x to a 1x as a step back (1x drivetrain pros and cons).

Relja
Old 10-25-23, 09:01 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
Ideally, "by the book," for a 1x, you want the front chainline to be about 2 mm larger (further outwards) compared to your rear chainline.
If you run it with a "normal" cassette (i.e. not the ones with over 40T on the largest sprocket), you could go without the 2mm offset (how far inwards you can move the front chainring also also depends on your chainstay length).
How to measure the front and rear chainline

As far as I know, Shimano 1x cranks are designed to provide the wider chainline when used with Shimano Hollowtech II bottom brackets (and, if your frame has British, or "at least" Italian thread, you should be able to source a Shimano Hollowtech II BB).

P.S.
I see going from 3x to a 1x as a step back (1x drivetrain pros and cons).

Relja
Thanks for your informative reply. I am thinking of the options. Everything from finding another triple crankset to purchasing a new bicycle. I like the frame because it is steel.
Likes For daniell:
Old 10-25-23, 09:11 AM
Jeff Neese

Thanks for your informative reply. I am thinking of the options. Everything from finding another triple crankset to purchasing a new bicycle. I like the frame because it is steel.
Another option is to just replace the worn chainrings.
Old 10-25-23, 09:26 AM
daniell

Another option is to just replace the worn chainrings.
Replacing 2 chainrings would probably cost me more than an entire crank.
Old 10-25-23, 09:41 AM
Jeff Neese

Replacing 2 chainrings would probably cost me more than an entire crank.
No, not even close. Figure out what sizes you need and price them out. Much cheaper (and easier) to replace chainrings. Plus if you buy a new crankset you'll probably need a new bottom bracket too.
Old 10-25-23, 09:45 AM
daniell

No, not even close. Figure out what sizes you need and price them out. Much cheaper (and easier) to replace chainrings. Plus if you buy a new crankset you'll probably need a new bottom bracket too.
46 teeth, 36 teeth x 110mm
Old 10-25-23, 09:50 AM
Jeff Neese

46 teeth, 36 teeth x 110mm
Very common sizes. You'll find that a set of replacement chainrings is much cheaper than an entire crankset, and even more so if you have to replace the BB too.