Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Balancing Cantilever Brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Balancing Cantilever Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-23, 09:33 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
Also, if I changed the system and then installed V brakes, would that simply matters?
linear / ‘V’ brakes can be be easier to set up than cantilever brakes - but can also be a PITA …

and if you have first gen 8 speed XTR (M900) shifter/brake assemblies designed for cantilever brakes - a ‘travel agent’ or similar mechanism might be required so the brake pull will work with the linear brakes … later XTR 8 speed (M950 etc) are designed for linear brakes
Old 11-30-23, 09:46 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

I ran into a problem adjusting the front brake. These are the Shimano Altus CT91 brake. It has an adjustment on one side. I turned the screw too hard and the screw now turns without grabbing. It goes into a plastic housing. I would gladly replace the brakes with a higher end model. As I previously mentioned, the last one I tried did not work out. The pads would not go low enough to reach the rim.
I ride this bike more often than my road bike. Now that I am old, I feel more secure on the wider tires.
I see this as my choices.
1. Buy a new bike.
2. Change the the drive chain to a 1 X. I am happy with the XTR shifters however.
3. Buy another pair of the CT91 brakes
I would like to begin the process soon so that I can be ready to ride in the Spring.
All suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
one bad / not-so-good thing about the CT91 brake calipers is brake pad replacement will require replacement of the entire brake pad assembly (including post) and therefore will require adjustment etc - as opposed to a brake caliper that has brake pads with removable / replaceable brake pads (with just a small screw / pin) to retain the brake pad on the assembly

( you can spot this in the picture above )

if you like the bike / plan to ride it -

I would look for brake calipers that have replaceable pads

I would lean toward replacing the crank with another triple or replacing the chainrings - whatever seems to make more sense and cents

replace the chain and cassette and you will be good to go for years

vintage ATB’s are great versatile bikes

Last edited by t2p; 12-01-23 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-02-23, 04:03 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

one bad / not-so-good thing about the CT91 brake calipers is brake pad replacement will require replacement of the entire brake pad assembly (including post) and therefore will require adjustment etc - as opposed to a brake caliper that has brake pads with removable / replaceable brake pads (with just a small screw / pin) to retain the brake pad on the assembly

( you can spot this in the picture above )

if you like the bike / plan to ride it -

I would look for brake calipers that have replaceable pads

I would lean toward replacing the crank with another triple or replacing the chainrings - whatever seems to make more sense and cents

replace the chain and cassette and you will be good to go for years

vintage ATB’s are great versatile bikes
I am thinking of these brakes though reviews on their stopping power are mixed.https://www.thebikesmiths.com/produc...SABEgIYzfD_BwE
Old 12-02-23, 07:46 PM
t2p

I am thinking of these brakes though reviews on their stopping power are mixed.https://www.thebikesmiths.com/produc...SABEgIYzfD_BwE
those brakes appear to be good but I’m not familiar with them

again - I prefer pads that can be replaced without replacing the entire brake pad assembly … the pads equipped with that brake caliper are not that type … just a preference though

for the most part I’m sorta / kinda boring and stick with a brake system that was originally spec’d on the bike or a similar bike of that general era … I have old XT cantilever brakes on my XT bikes, STX brakes on the STX bikes, XTR on the XTR bikes … etc …

cantilever brakes can provide very good stopping power when equipped with good pads and set up well (and rims with good sidewalls etc)
Old 12-02-23, 08:08 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
those brakes appear to be good but I’m not familiar with them

again - I prefer pads that can be replaced without replacing the entire brake pad assembly … the pads equipped with that brake caliper are not that type … just a preference though

for the most part I’m sorta / kinda boring and stick with a brake system that was originally spec’d on the bike or a similar bike of that general era … I have old XT cantilever brakes on my XT bikes, STX brakes on the STX bikes, XTR on the XTR bikes … etc …

cantilever brakes can provide very good stopping power when equipped with good pads and set up well (and rims with good sidewalls etc)
I dunno I have them and they are meh brakes but pads easily replaced...

Old 12-02-23, 10:36 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Stud type cartridge pads: