Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to convert HED 3 from Shimano to Campagnolo?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 06:00 PM
Velociclo

Bikes: Vitus 959, Softride Qualifier, BMC SLT01, LOOK KG461, Ishiwatta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello. I recently bought a new HED 3 (not HED 3C) rear wheel with a Shimano splined hub.

I would like to use it in a Campagnolo equipped bike.

I have read that the HED 3 rear wheel hubs are made by DT Swiss and also have found a web place where conversion kits made by DT to change the hubs from Shimano to Campy are available.

My question is: What type or model of DT Swiss hub is`used in the HED 3 rear wheel?

Below is a web store that sell DT Swiss conversion kits as a reference.

https://www.cheapbikeparts360.com/pro...nversion-kits/

Hope someone that is experienced in this conversion could help.

Best,

Velociclo.

Last edited by Velociclo; 11-01-09 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-01-09, 06:27 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I may be wrong but I think you're looking at DT's freehub bodies to swap freehubs on their own hubs. They have a proprietary hub design, just like most others.

The HED3 takes either a DA or Ultegra freehub body, i.e. a Shimano one. The only way I've managed to make my Specialized TriSpoke (which became the HED3) was to use an American Classic cassette that is spaced for Campy and fits on a Shimano spline freehub body. It wasn't ideal since Campy's cassettes are a bit wider than Shimano's freehub body.

The DT freehub bodies would work on wheels with DT's rear hub, like DT wheels, the newer Reynolds wheels, etc.

cdr
Old 11-01-09, 07:02 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Velociclo
Hello. I recently bought a new HED 3 (not HED 3C) rear wheel with a Shimano splined hub.

I would like to use it in a Campagnolo equipped bike.

I have read that the HED 3 rear wheel hubs are made by DT Swiss and also have found a web place where conversion kits made by DT to change the hubs from Shimano to Campy are available.

My question is: What type or model of DT Swiss hub is`used in the HED 3 rear wheel?

Below is a web store that sell DT Swiss conversion kits as a reference.

https://www.cheapbikeparts360.com/pro...nversion-kits/

Hope someone that is experienced in this conversion could help.

Best,

Velociclo.
It's easy to give HED a call: Tel: 888.246.3639
Old 11-02-09, 11:49 AM
Velociclo

Bikes: Vitus 959, Softride Qualifier, BMC SLT01, LOOK KG461, Ishiwatta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all your replies.

So far: I called HED with the phone provided by DAVET and spoke to Paul, (super nice guy at the phone) and he said that the freehub cannot be changed.

So the American Classic option as mentioned by CARPEDIEMRACING is the way to go.

Now.. I would like to ask, how grave is this option about not being so ideal since Campy's cassettes are a bit wider than the Shimano's freehub body?

Is there is a way of using the American Classic alternative without introducing new problems?

Thanks again to you all.

Velociclo