Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Carbon frame protection, what parts are more prone to damage?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-24, 03:15 AM
lascabezas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I getting a frame protection kit from AMS, I would like to ask what parts of the frame of a gravel bike are more prone to damage or scratches. I am new to gravel.
Old 03-06-24, 09:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Chainstay and underside of downtube.
Old 03-06-24, 10:50 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
I often hear small rocks (I assume) being flicked up and hitting the underside of the downtube and bottom bracket area. My Checkpoint has a piece of screw-on plastic "armour" in that area to protect the carbon.

Chainstays too from chain slap in some cases.

Anywhere that you might mount a bag (or where the bag contacts the frame) that could rub away at the paintwork is worth protecting also.
Old 03-11-24, 04:48 AM
lascabezas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, thanks a lot. What about the fork?
Old 03-11-24, 07:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by lascabezas
Ok, thanks a lot. What about the fork?
Wrap whatever you want to wrap- there is no functional downside to wrapping an area. The inside of the fork blades and the underside of the fork crown would be the two spots that I could see someone wanting to wrap(basically, the area around where the tire is) because that would be where abrasion occurs when mud and gunk builds up.
At the same time, I just tore down my gravel bike over the winter to fully clean it, regrease, and swap worn components. The carbon fork is unpainted(raw look) and has no scratches or noticeable abrasion after over 4 years of use. The frame has random tiny chips/scratches/scrapes in the paint in that same amount of time. The chips are on the underside of the bottom bracket, underside of the downtube, and back side of the seat tube(rocks fling off of tires). The only frame protection I have is part of an old inner tube wrapped around the driveside chainstay to protect the chainstay from chainslap.
If I were to get a new frame and want to wrap parts of the bike, those are the 4 spots I would cover- BB shell, under downtube, back of seat tube, driveside chainstay. I wouldnt wrap the fork because I dont ride in crappy weather often enough to be concerned with mud build up on the tires. If I rode in mud a lot, I would cover the inner part of the fork for sure.
Old 04-07-24, 02:56 AM
lascabezas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about seat stays? they are usually part of basic frame protector kits
Old 04-07-24, 07:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by lascabezas
What about seat stays? they are usually part of basic frame protector kits
cover what you want to cover. There is no harm in covering more than the minimum.
Old 04-07-24, 09:39 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
bottom bracket due to chain drop or junk kicking up & jamming in between the crank & frame. A chain saver helps but not a 100% solution.