Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Help!! Need to pack my bike to 62" linear inches to avoid high oversize fee

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Help!! Need to pack my bike to 62" linear inches to avoid high oversize fee

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-23, 01:39 PM
dmeans2anend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
On one trip, I needed to true up a wheel or two, but not a big deal. I built the wheels, carry a spoke wrench. I do not really have weight on those spokes.

I carry spare spokes in the seatpost. I had extra spokes when I built up the wheels.

The rear rack will not fit in the S&S case, that goes in my other checked bag.

If you are worried about spoke breakage, get a Fiber Fix emergency spoke. If a spoke never breaks, consider it an insurance policy. Here is how it works:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fiberfix.php

I bought mine at Amazon. Since I bought my Ritchey bike as a complete bike, I did not know the spoke lengths, so instead of measuring any spokes on the wheels, I just bought the Fiber Fix instead. I have never used it and hope I never do, but I am happy for the peace of mind that I have it.
Yes. Fiber Fix Emergency Spoke kit is in my kit. However, there is a great hack that you can potentially fix a broken spoke with zip ties to get you to a bike shop.

Hack : Zip Tie Repair of Broken Spoke (start at 3:50 minutes) in video

Ok. I'll check to see if there is skipping. However, my cassette looks in great condition. I just typically change my chain at around 0.5 wear since it is a 11 speed per recommendation.

Last edited by dmeans2anend; 09-17-23 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-16-23, 01:41 PM
dmeans2anend

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
One more comment, if your wheels are not on the bike, take the skewers out of the wheels. When I was packing up to come home on my Iceland trip, there were two Italians that had just arrived in Reykjavik, it was a Sunday and they were looking for replacement skewers, somehow their front skewers got bent n transport. I had no idea where the nearest bike shop was, or if it was open on Sundays.

On tours, I use bolt on skewers, not lever type. They will open up with any 5mm allen wrench. I use those as an additional theft prevention device, I assume most bike thieves are opportunists and do not have a multi-tool in their pocket.
Great idea. Thanks! I'll definitely take the skewer out of the wheel especially since my front Thru Axle will be used to support the front dropout. The rear QR skewer is long (240mm) because of the Old Man Mountain bike rack so it's especially important that it doesn't break since it will be hard to replace. I have the plastic wheel hub protectors that I got for free from a bike shop for the wheels. I made dropout protectors for the front and rear of the bike frame using old plastic hard tube that I salvage from a broken garden hose cart reel. I simply cut the plastic tube to the width of the dropouts.

BTW, thanks for the photos. I see the little box your talking about. In fact, I just got a package from Amazon in a small box. It is absolutely perfect for holding the little odd parts because one side of the small box is nearly 10" so it'll also act as a structural support for the main bike box to prevent it from collapsing inwards.

Last edited by dmeans2anend; 09-17-23 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-16-23, 11:13 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by dmeans2anend
Great idea. Thanks! I'll definitely take the spokes out of the wheel........
ummmmmmm.........

Old 09-17-23, 12:32 AM
dmeans2anend

Originally Posted by saddlesores
LOL!!! I meant to type 'skewer' out of the wheel... That's what you get when typing with your fingers and trying to keep up with your train of thought.
Old 03-17-24, 08:17 PM
KWillets

Bikes: Waterford RS-11, Giant Talon 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW this month I paid nothing to take my bike SFO-ICN on Asiana, packed in a cardboard bike box. The website is confusing, but the list of ski, bike, etc. packing methods indicates the correct method to take these items for free, as a checked bag subject to the same bag count and weight limits, but not the size limit.

The sentence
  • If the bicycle exceeds the free baggage allowance, you will be charged the excess baggage fee or the excess weight fee.
appears to be a mistranslation, it really seems to say that the cases which violate the free allowance are excess bag count or excess weight, and that fees for both may apply.