Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring bike security pref’s

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring bike security pref’s

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-24, 03:18 PM
ason

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Chain

Best is a bike chain that doubles as a whip for wild dogs.
Likes For ason:
Old 02-29-24, 12:30 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
great. Another thread about bike security in ca.
😂 ja ja
Old 02-29-24, 12:37 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by str;[url=tel:23170981
23170981[/url]]😂 ja ja
I am the OP, this was not begun as a thread about bike security in California.
Old 03-01-24, 08:04 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Ya, that's got to be it. Mama Mia that's a brickload of climbing. I've got to be a lot older than you, but even younger and or at my fittest, I could never do that in a day with touring stuff on a bike. 30 years ago I probably did 2000m days, but these last years around 1000m 1200m is enough to kick my sorry ass.
This is why I'm watching total weight more and more, notice it more with each year--but that's okay, c'est la vie.

And ya, it get just using what you have, and regular old panniers are still so convenient.
How you describe the carradice is similar to my ortlieb rack pack.
Since this thread got revived, I thought you might want an update on this. We ended up camping at a rest area halfway up. After we were done with the climbing we felt fed up with our slow progress, so we rode a century back to Taipei. This is with four panniers each so as you can imagine, we were beat.

Christmas Eve 67km 1707m
Christmas day 106km 2132m
Boxing day 169km 1034m

I don't think I'll do that climb again. Car next time. Or maybe get a ride to the top and coast down. Late on Christmas day it went down to 2C and was raining. A hair lower and the road would have iced up and we'd have been stuck up there.

Last edited by Yan; 03-01-24 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-04-24, 07:43 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Since this thread got revived, I thought you might want an update on this. We ended up camping at a rest area halfway up. After we were done with the climbing we felt fed up with our slow progress, so we rode a century back to Taipei. This is with four panniers each so as you can imagine, we were beat.

Christmas Eve 67km 1707m
Christmas day 106km 2132m
Boxing day 169km 1034m

I don't think I'll do that climb again. Car next time. Or maybe get a ride to the top and coast down. Late on Christmas day it went down to 2C and was raining. A hair lower and the road would have iced up and we'd have been stuck up there.
quite impressive those days.
as someone who commutes all year in montreal, cold is one thing but low temps like 2c and rain are the worst to me. Any single digit celcius and rain pretty much sucks. thats why i always have dish washing gloves that you can fit thin gloves inside, really saves the hands from freezing
Oh, and ya, you dont want ice. You can lose the front faster than you can react and those falls are always going to hurt.
cheers