Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why I will never buy a TREK.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why I will never buy a TREK.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-24, 01:42 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
What, never?
No,never!
What, NEVER?
Well...hardly ever!
He's ll hardly ever sick at sea buy a Trek!

I can't GUARANTEE I'll never buy a Trek, but I don't think it's likely. Nothing against the company, I just don't have room!

That is what I call a nice bike filled garage
Likes For georges1:
Old 04-12-24, 01:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4968 Post(s)
Liked 8,116 Times in 3,840 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
These shops will only work on Trek bikes? No other brand? And they only stock proprietary parts labelled "Trek" and "Bontrager"?
The Trek-owned shop in my area has a sign out front..."We will work on any bike".

Talking with the owner of the LBS that has been a Trek dealer for decades, he said that Trek has - historically - been excellent with their dealers. From what I have heard from others in the industry, the same cannot be said about Specailized. I also learned that Trek's decision to open a corporate shop had to do with the belief that there was market share not being captured by the LBS. The LBS owner feels like he got punched in the gut.
Old 04-12-24, 01:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Also it should be noted that using drugs was totally normal from the start of professional bicycle racing. The only thing that Armstrong did was improve the science so that it wouldn't kill you like it did
Pantani.
Marco didn't die from the race drugs. He died from a cocaine overdose.
Old 04-12-24, 01:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10448 Post(s)
Liked 11,941 Times in 6,111 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Marco didn't die from the race drugs. He died from a cocaine overdose.
IIRC, there were some Dutch riders who DID die from Epo - blood too thick to pump properly when they were asleep or something.

But I DID read that Pantani had to sleep with an HRM set to alarm if his HR dropped too low, so he could get up and raise it on a trainer in his bedroom, so he wouldn't stroke out from having pudding for blood.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-12-24, 02:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

IIRC, there were some Dutch riders who DID die from Epo - blood too thick to pump properly when they were asleep or something.

But I DID read that Pantani had to sleep with an HRM set to alarm if his HR dropped too low, so he could get up and raise it on a trainer in his bedroom, so he wouldn't stroke out from having pudding for blood.
I have read/heard the same.
Old 04-12-24, 02:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Eric F
I have read/heard the same.
I think people revere Pantani as a tortured soul, but Lance is just an A-hole.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-12-24, 02:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I think people revere Pantani as a tortured soul, but Lance is just an A-hole.
Generally speaking, that seems to be the case.
Old 04-12-24, 02:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 6998 Post(s)
Liked 10,987 Times in 4,703 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
There is one by me, and they don't.

I've had them work on my Specialized bike, and there was no reluctance.
Okay.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My last several visits I have gone out empty handed. Each time REI has what I needed. REI had a mechanic who understood what I was looking for, knew where the box of those parts was, brought it out and I picked out exactly what I needed. The Trek showroom? "We got rid of all that stuff."
Perhaps you are looking for some less-than-common parts; did you ever ask if they would order them for you?

Nothing in your response seems to justify the claim, below, that somehow the Trek company stores are useless to people who own other brands.

Trek turned the best local bike chain in Portland into Trek showrooms. Places where you used to be able to wheel any bike in, get it fixed or buy parts to keep it running. Now it feels like trying to by old VW parts at a Tesla dealership. (My repainted '83 Trek frame that is my fix gear workhorse would be neither recognized or welcomed.)
And I'll bet that they would indeed work on your '83 Trek.
Old 04-12-24, 03:22 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2491 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
. . . I posted that LeMond video because it was new to me and offered some additional insights about the incident. Not all corporations are the same. Do you remember when Specialized went after the Roubaix bike shop in Montreal? They sued the local mom and pop bike shop for using "their" Roubaix name. Ignoring, of course, the fact that they "stole" the name from the actual Roubaix town and Paris-Roubaix race. When confronted publicly, the Specialized CEO dropped the suit and apologized.
The story is actually even better than that. After the story of Specialized going after the Montreal bike shop over the Roubaix name hit the news, Fuji's management pointed out to Specialized that Fuji had had a Roubaix bike model in their lineup before Specialized started using the name. That was the main reason that Specialized backed off.

I wondered at the time whether the Fuji guys were tempted to permit the Montreal bike shop to continue using the name but issue a cease-and-desist letter to Specialized, just for the fun of it.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-12-24, 03:30 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2984 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 774 Posts
Trek makes a good bike. I have two of them. I could give two ***** about something in the past.
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-12-24, 03:57 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 4,628 Times in 2,126 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Trek makes a good bike. I have two of them. I could give two ***** about something in the past.
Yep. Pic taken last February:

That's two relatively new Émonda SLR 7s hanging outside my door in Arizona.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 04-12-24, 05:20 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 416 Posts
Trek turned the best local bike chain in Portland into Trek showrooms. Places where you used to be able to wheel any bike in, get it fixed or buy parts to keep it running. Now it feels like trying to by old VW parts at a Tesla dealership. (My repainted '83 Trek frame that is my fix gear workhorse would be neither recognized or welcomed.)
This is another complaint of mine. My nearest bike store is run by Trek, and pretty much everything they sell is branded “Trek” or “Bontrager.” For the 98% of people in the area who don’t ride Trek bikes, they don’t have much to offer.
Old 04-12-24, 05:49 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
This is another complaint of mine. My nearest bike store is run by Trek, and pretty much everything they sell is branded “Trek” or “Bontrager.” For the 98% of people in the area who don’t ride Trek bikes, they don’t have much to offer.
I’m just curious, do you also expect to go to your local Apple Store to find a selection of Microsoft, Samsung and Google products?

Sure an electronics store would carry products from all those brands, just like an independent bike shop carries products from a variety of brands. When a company operates their own retail store, it is intended to sell their products. I don’t understand why people think that for some reason these companies should want to sell you their competitors’ products. As has already been said here multiple times, they are almost always happy to service your bike regardless of brand. Taking up inventory space with a mishmash of older parts is one of the reasons why a lot of independent bike shops fail and/or sell out to a manufacturer. A lot of them are passionate about bikes but not very good at business so they’re not profitable enough to sustain themselves long term.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 04-12-24, 05:54 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I have the same problem as Fiat is the nearest car dealership to me and never have the AMC Gremlin parts when I need them. I don’t know anyone who drives a Fiat so what the point of them being there.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 04-12-24, 06:47 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4441 Post(s)
Liked 4,891 Times in 3,028 Posts
If Trek is only serving 2% of your local riders then there must be another store nearby. If not then it’s not really Trek’s fault.
Old 04-12-24, 06:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 4,016 Times in 2,681 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
You keep saying that, but it is not true.

They'd been doing anti-doping testing of riders at the TdF since the 1960s. When Lance won in '99 and every subsequent year, doping was illegal and he was using illegal substances. His being stripped of the wins was not a retroactive application of new rules or new morality: he broke the rules as they were each time he won.

As far as what your twisted excuses are apologizing for, I really don't know, but it's something. It could be for Lance, it could be Trek, it could be for some family or friend of yours who was involved, it could be a gnawing sense of resentment knowing people out there might look down on you for riding a Trek even though you spent a lot of money on it...I dunno. What I do know is that whatever you're on about is irrelevant to my position, because I dislike Trek for what they did to Lemond.
I am saying doping is wrong but it's not true? OK, I find it to be wrong but I guess you find it to be OK yet you have an issue with it or something. I cannot get a read on you here.

Yes I am aware doping has been illegal but at that time it was not frowned upon and 87% of the pro peloton was doing it. Again it was not right but the fact is that he did at that time win if you are denying that fact what else are you going to deny that is in the history books? Look he had the points and came in first enough to win the TDF 7 times it is not like he was the lantern rouge and paid off the commissars and stuff to get made the winner, he rode those miles doped up with the rest of the peloton to those wins that were stripped from him 7 years later. Facts are facts.

They were retroactively applied he won from 1999-2005 he was stripped in 2012 by the USADA and then agreed on by the UCI so again 7 years. They weren't enforced in 1999-2005 otherwise he wouldn't have initially won. It is kind of crazy that so many people in the pro peloton at that time were doping and it took so long for them to catch on. Obviously yes some investigations take time and Rome wasn't built in a day but sheesh you would think all the doping which was pretty rampant at that time would have been caught sooner. People kept accusing him during that time but he was never investigated. Seems odd, no.

So you are calling me an apologist for...nothing. I DON'T RIDE TREK, I DON'T LIKE TREK so what am I apologizing for? You cannot even answer that! If you have seen my posts when Trek is mentioned I am quite clear in my dislike of them, if you talk to me in person you will know I don't like Trek so I am unsure if you are getting me mixed up with someone else or you are truly that clueless because I do not like Trek.

They took out some good shops near me and have done a lot of bad things including what I agreed to in their treatment of Lemond. If you somehow think that me saying
They did do Lemond dirty, heck they did the Gary's dirty by* ruining their product and killing off the lines. Bontrager's bikes were awesome bikes, while I don't think they did him dirty so much they certainly got rid of some great bikes.
was me supporting Trek you have some poor reading comprehension.

You could also go to my first post in the thread and it was not pleasant towards Trek so I am baffled where you get this Trek apologist thing? I mean you really don't know me well if you think I have a shred of like for the Trek corporation. I can write you a list of things I don't like about Trek if you are so desirous

*was "but" in the original post and I missed that it should be "by"
Old 04-12-24, 07:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 4,016 Times in 2,681 Posts
My gripe with LA is not that he doped but that he was quite willing to go after those who told the truth in court (often successfully), with verbal threats (often by telephone to women; the calls made by others) and other actions. (Anyone remember him chasing down that Italian who had spoken under subpoena and under oath of doping to kill that rider's chance of a stage victory and a pocketful of change.) Calls to Armstrong's wife, LA's masseuse (who he had carry EPO through customs; ie break international law). Discovery/Postal would pass on to UCI that so-and-so was doping (usually a rider who was pushing Lance on the GC at that year's Tour) but conveniently had some insider at UCI call ahead when a drug tester was coming so Lance could get his blood diluted to pass the test. (UCI was also in on this. A couple of times, LA's teammates left that tester outdoors for over a half hour while LA did this work. Automatic doping violation, not test needed unless your name was LA. You had 10 minutes as I recall to open that door and present your rider.)

And above all, LA lied. Not once or twice but for over a decade all the time. To pretend that Trek and other insiders did not know? That what LA told Greg Lemond, his wife and others from his hospital during his cancer never came back to Trek? The Amgen sponsorship and partnership, Amgen being the major producer of EPO and the Postal/Discovery team the most sophisticated used of EPO was coincidence? Was Trek really that naive or blind? (When GL spoke up, I never sensed that Trek said "Huh! Maybe he's on to something. Let's look further." No, it was "Stuff this as fast as possible!"
Agreed there. He was a total a-hole and very aggressive. The whole period of time was quite suspect lots of bad things going on. It is a real shame what L.A. did to everyone to the sport but he did keep himself relevant because he is consistently being brought up over and over again.
Old 04-12-24, 07:19 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 416 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I have the same problem as Fiat is the nearest car dealership to me and never have the AMC Gremlin parts when I need them. I don’t know anyone who drives a Fiat so what the point of them being there.
A better analogy would be that there is a shop which sells only AMC Gremlins and Gremlin-branded parts, and as this is Tokyo, there aren’t so many people interested in buying Gremlins or Gremlin parts. So, if you want a bike jersey, a jacket, a light, or a bag, it will say “Gremlin” or have a “Gremlin” logo on it.
Old 04-12-24, 07:37 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 384 Posts
My last several visits I have gone out empty handed. Each time REI has what I needed. REI had a mechanic who understood what I was looking for, knew where the box of those parts was, brought it out and I picked out exactly what I needed. The Trek showroom? "We got rid of all that stuff."
And how much was the dollar amount of that sale?
Old 04-12-24, 08:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked 5,674 Times in 2,930 Posts
What, never?
No,never!
What, NEVER?
Well...hardly ever!
He's ll hardly ever sick at sea buy a Trek!

I can't GUARANTEE I'll never buy a Trek, but I don't think it's likely. Nothing against the company, I just don't have room!

Don’t see many references to the H.M.S. Pinafore.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-12-24, 08:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by rsbob
Don’t see many references to the H.M.S. Pinafore.
That's because you don't live in my house.

"What, never?" figured prominently in my courtship of Not-Yet-Mrs GeneJockey

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-12-24, 09:12 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I've probably been to the same Trek store in Portland. It's weird (to me) walking in there; it feels like a sterile showroom manned by a slick salesman. My takeaway is their business model is high dollar high margin sales. They sell some consumables, but I think they've pretty much accepted that most people are buying consumables online. Which we mostly are.

The other Trek store in town, also a buyout of a LBS, is where I bought my last new bike, a Domane. It was a reasonable purchase experience. A week later, my sales guy didn't recognize me, and when I took it in for the tune-up, the mechanic (who was also the salesman) screwed the FD up royally. I'm sure they'd work on any bike, but I won't be taking my bike back.

Having said that, I do not begrudge Trek stores their business model. This post brick and mortar, post pandemic reality is a different world. If they keep a store operating selling Madones to dentists, well okay.

The LA/GL Trek boondogle was, IMO, the work of amoral individuals at Trek who saw LA as a cash cow, an amoral LA and other amoral enablers, all of whom saw GL as an annoying pest and they collectively squashed him.

I've spent a career in corporations, and I can't count the greedy amoral people I've encountered on all my fingers and toes. I don't know which comes first, being amoral or being promoted, but there's a connection. I categorically reject the notion that individuals behaving amorally is acceptable even if it's good for business. I'm currently operating my organization under regulatory scrutiny for safety that, on the surface, seems unnecessarily intrusive. But knowing how people are willing to behave under the cover of incorporation, it's more than necessary. It's critical.

VW? Pffffft. They got caught, that's all that sets them apart. More companies need to be caught and pay until it hurts every single stakeholder.

Last edited by downtube42; 04-12-24 at 09:25 PM.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-12-24, 09:20 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Originally Posted by downtube42
I've probably been to the same Trek store in Portland. It's weird (to me) walking in there; it feels like a sterile showroom manned by a slick salesman. My takeaway is their business model is high dollar high margin sales. They sell some consumables, but I think they've pretty much accepted that most people are buying consumables online. Which we mostly are.

The other Trek store in town, also a buyout of a LBS, is where I bought my last new bike, a Domane. It was a reasonable purchase experience. A week later, my sales guy didn't recognize me, and when I took it in for the tune-up, the mechanic (who was also the salesman) screwed the FD up royally. I'm sure they'd work on any bike, but I won't be taking my bike back.

Having said that, I do not begrudge Trek stores their business model. This post brick and mortar, post pandemic reality is a different world. If they keep a store operating selling Madones to dentists, well okay.

The LA/GL Trek boondogle was, IMO, the work of amoral individuals at Trek who saw LA as a cash cow, an amoral LA and other amoral enablers, all of whom saw GL as an annoying pest and they collectively squashed him.

I've spent a career in corporations, and I can't count the greedy amoral people I've encountered on all my fingers and toes. I don't know which comes first, being amoral or being promoted, but there's a connection. I categorically reject the notion that individuals behaving amorally is acceptable even if it's good for business. I'm currently operating my organization under regulatory scrutiny for safety that, on the surface, seems unnecessarily intrusive. But knowing how people are willing to behave under the cover of incorporation, it's more than necessary. It's critical.

VW? Pffffft. They got caught, that's all that sets them apart. More companies need to be caught and pay until it hurts every single stakeholder.
and until the amoral b******s who get big fat profit shares from their deeds are personally hurt when the truth comes out, it's not going to stop. A $1B corporate fine means nothing to the individuals who took home nice fat paychecks and profit shares.

/rant

Last edited by downtube42; 04-12-24 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-12-24, 09:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18437 Post(s)
Liked 15,612 Times in 7,349 Posts
I wonder if anyone who spent their career in corporations is going to give away their “blood money.”

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-13-24 at 04:25 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-12-24, 10:09 PM
downtube42

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I wonder if anyone who soent their career in corporations is going to give away their “blood money.”
Not me. I honestly toiled away at corporations, wholesomely contributing my part enriching stakeholders. Heck I spent a year honestly leading a team of morally sound software developers creating logic that helped corporations maximize employee hours whilst minimizing payroll. I did walk away from that job, but no I'm not giving my blood money away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.