Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to electrical tape when securing bar tape post-wrap

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 08:58 PM
precad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear all,

when finishing the bar tape wrap, I use electrical tape. The ever-long problem is that it creeps, eventually in hot sun it may also melt, or dust gets under the end and it begins to slowly unravel. It also gets old (that tape you bought 5 years ago is probably either too fragile, or dry). It is unpleasant also because my hands, when riding on tops of bars, may grip the place where electrical tape finishes, and pull it off.

What are the best alternatives, maybe there is a different tape type I can try? Is there some sort of plastic piece that can sort of clamp and hold the bar tape from unwinding and feel good on the hands?

Surely someone has encountered similar problems, if you got a link to an old discussion, please post here. I couldn't really find anything.

thank you
Old 09-29-15, 09:02 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3428 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,928 Posts
Self-Fusing Silicone Tape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0457.jpg (87.3 KB, 123 views)
Old 09-29-15, 09:33 PM
ShaneHanchey

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Fizik bar tape I have now came with tape just for taping the ends. I would imagine they aren't the only ones that do this either.
Old 09-29-15, 09:58 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Gorilla tape.
Old 09-29-15, 10:03 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can wrap from the center of the bars down to the end and then secure the tape with the bar end plugs.

Alternatively, if you must take from the bar ends up to the center, you could use heat shrink material to hold the ends.
Old 09-29-15, 10:09 PM
Tman1965

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Self-Fusing Silicone Tape.
That! Or the cheap version 3M Temflex 2155 Rubber Splicing Tape $2.50 at the big orange store.
Old 09-29-15, 10:24 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hemp Twine that can be wrapped and pulled under itself to finish off. Classic look.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 09-29-15, 10:32 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by milkbaby
You can wrap from the center of the bars down to the end and then secure the tape with the bar end plugs. .....
That's how we did it in the old days.... isn't it!

I searched around (mostly YouTube videos) to learn why we now go plug-to-center... wrapping from the inside-to-the-outside (Clockwise on the right, counter clockwise on the left). Apparently the consensus is the new way slips less both on the bar as well as in the hands.

I never get more than two years out of a set of handlebar tape. So I don't have to worry about age affecting the electrical tape. But even if the electrical tape was damaged.... just wrap on a new piece of electrical tape.

Back in the old days when we wrapped our cloth or plastic handlebar tape center-to-plug.... my handlebars were steel. Steel handlebars held up well. Now-a-days handlebars are lightweight aluminum or carbon fiber. I know it's currently somewhat trendy to have ratty, worn, and dirty handlebar tape. But it's best to inspect the new handlebars! So ride hard and lots so that handlebar tape can look cool early in the season. But replace the tape regularly and inspect those bars.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 09-29-15 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 10:38 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Alternatively, if you must take from the bar ends up to the center, you could use heat shrink material to hold the ends.
Ahhh, thanks! Didn't think of that. I should have some heat shrink laying around that's just the right diameter to do that. Much appreciated.

EDIT: I just checked some 1" heat shrink I had on hand and although it's enough to go around the bar and tape near the plugs, I'll probably need 1.5" shrink to go around the bar, shifter cable and tape on the tops.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 09-29-15 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 10:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4895 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,636 Posts
You can wrap from the center of the bars down to the end and then secure the tape with the bar end plugs.

But, wrapping from the top means that you fray the tape edge every time you slide you hand down the bar. And to use heat shrink tape, you have to take tha brake levers off to get it on unless I am missing something.

I use quality electrical tape, wrap my bars so the tape is coming back as it goes over the top of the bar, wrap the electrical tape in the same direction and end the tape just before the brake/gear housing. That way, my fingers rarely touch the ends and when they do they are tending to smooth them out. I find the electrical tape usually lasts unto I replace the tape or make changes.

Ben