Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need help choosing a tire!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-14, 05:01 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My current tires are wearing down, and I need a new set of shoes for my mountain bike. I have a 29er running Schwalbe Rapid Ron tires, which I'm fairly happy with, but I want to upgrade. I'm not sure if my rims are made to accept tubeless tires, and even if they are, I'm just not interested in them.

I want to upgrade from the Rapid Rons in terms of speed and grip. I have my eyes set on Schwalbe Nobby Nic tires, but I'm not sure whether they're tubeless or "tubeless ready." For some reason, I'm finding the info on their site to be confusing.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on tires. In other words, I want to keep the price of tires under $50. I'm not brand-specific about going with Schwalbe, they're just what I have on the bike now and have had good luck with them.

Suggestions?
Old 05-31-14, 11:34 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Maxxis. But quality is going to cost.
Old 06-01-14, 03:21 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
Maxxis. But quality is going to cost.
I don't have an issue with paying for something that's going to last me.
Old 06-01-14, 05:27 PM
Rnauth1418

Bikes: Tomasso Imola w. Carbon fork, motobecane 550ht, diamondback response sport 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Continental xking or mountain king. Get some black chillis.

I'm rolling mk front xking rear. Super amounts of grip and control.
Old 06-01-14, 06:20 PM
Wooden Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rnauth1418

Funny you would mention these. I was at the LBS today and was recommended the same tires. He recommended a Mountain King for the front and a Trail King for the rear. Wouldn't it feel a bit strange riding on two different tires?
Old 06-01-14, 06:52 PM
Rnauth1418

Bikes: Tomasso Imola w. Carbon fork, motobecane 550ht, diamondback response sport 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought it would be weird as well. Super super weird; I got to ride a Santa Cruz blur last summer with a trail king front, mountain king rear. Amazing combination.

Usually its it's nice to have something super grippy with nice cornering knobs on the front. A tire with low rolling resistance in the back is nice for speed. The rear tire is much easier to keep under control than the front so grip in the rear is not supernecessary.

The xking mk combination I'm running is more than enough tire for trail riding.
Old 06-01-14, 08:00 PM
Wooden Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought it would be weird as well. Super super weird; I got to ride a Santa Cruz blur last summer with a trail king front, mountain king rear. Amazing combination.

Usually its it's nice to have something super grippy with nice cornering knobs on the front. A tire with low rolling resistance in the back is nice for speed. The rear tire is much easier to keep under control than the front so grip in the rear is not supernecessary.

The xking mk combination I'm running is more than enough tire for trail riding.
That is EXACTLY what the owner of the LBS told me...handling up front and the low rolling resistance in the rear. What concerns me about this is that by going with a "slicker" tire on the rear, I'm going to be fighting with grip on steeper climbs. It just seems like it would be a questionable strategy to throw a tire with less grip on the rear.
Old 06-01-14, 10:03 PM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ditto this. And Continentals last many trails.
Old 06-02-14, 01:28 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger
That is EXACTLY what the owner of the LBS told me...handling up front and the low rolling resistance in the rear. What concerns me about this is that by going with a "slicker" tire on the rear, I'm going to be fighting with grip on steeper climbs. It just seems like it would be a questionable strategy to throw a tire with less grip on the rear.
Think of it this way. If you are going around a turn fast and your rear tire slip you can catch it if your front tire slips you eat dirt. I've been running a maxxis crossmark on the rear and a panracer rampage on the front of one of my bike with good success. I've worn the crossmark out though and I think this time I won't worry so much about rolling resistance and just get another grippy tire. I just put a 2.4 maxxis ardent on the front of my rigid and that is one big ass grippy tire. I may just pick up another for the front of my other bike and put the rampage on the rear.
Old 06-02-14, 03:25 AM
Wooden Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
Think of it this way. If you are going around a turn fast and your rear tire slip you can catch it if your front tire slips you eat dirt. I've been running a maxxis crossmark on the rear and a panracer rampage on the front of one of my bike with good success. I've worn the crossmark out though and I think this time I won't worry so much about rolling resistance and just get another grippy tire. I just put a 2.4 maxxis ardent on the front of my rigid and that is one big ass grippy tire. I may just pick up another for the front of my other bike and put the rampage on the rear.
Good points.

I've heard from a few sources to go with the Contis because they tend to have thicker sidewalls than a lot of the other branded tires, especially Schwalbe.
Old 06-02-14, 06:31 AM
Rnauth1418

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger
The climbing comment is actually really interesting. I was running the xking in the rear with a tube in it and was pinch flatting it even at 35 psi initial pressure. At that pressure the tire could not conform to the ground too well and I was having issues of the tire bouncing around when climbing up rocky loose stuff. For more hardpacked technical climbs the tire gripped pretty nicely with only minimal amounts of wheel spin when I really put the power down.

I just converted to tubeless (last night) and haven't ridden them yet, but now that I can probably run at 25 psi or lower, I think the xking will do much better.

Also, even though the xking is a "faster rolling" tire than the MK, it still has a lot of tread. Definitely enough to allow for good conformity to the trail at the right inflation pressure.
Old 06-02-14, 07:22 AM
Millerad1651

Bikes: 2007 Kona King Kikapu - 2012 Raleigh Misceo Trail - 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento - 1989 Nishiki Blazer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like the Geax AKA for the front and Saguaro for the back. I've had them out on about 12 rides so far and really like them. The AKA is nice and grippy, and the Saguaro hasn't slipped out from behind me yet. Pretty good quality and decent prices. You can get them in the TNT version, which is similar to the black chili compound on Contis.

Geax AKA Tire - 29in - Mountain 29" Clincher Tires | Competitive Cyclist

Geax Saguaro Tire - 29in - Mountain 29" Clincher Tires | Competitive Cyclist
Old 06-02-14, 08:29 AM
Wooden Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Millerad1651
I really like the Geax AKA for the front and Saguaro for the back. I've had them out on about 12 rides so far and really like them. The AKA is nice and grippy, and the Saguaro hasn't slipped out from behind me yet. Pretty good quality and decent prices. You can get them in the TNT version, which is similar to the black chili compound on Contis.

Geax AKA Tire - 29in - Mountain 29" Clincher Tires | Competitive Cyclist

Geax Saguaro Tire - 29in - Mountain 29" Clincher Tires | Competitive Cyclist
Thanks for the lead! I'll look into them, too!
Old 06-02-14, 03:19 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Geax Saguaros surprised me in a great way. But I am back to Maxxis Excavators. I ride packed and loose sand, gravelly marbles in the desert SW. I like the taller lugs for digging into the gravel and hoping it grips somewhere.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.