Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

FS: Most of a mid-80s Conti Special - 60cm - $300

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 12:33 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 768 Posts

Aren't you tired of the same old Campagnolo/Cinelli/Brooks Italian stallions? Here's an opportunity to get an Italian steed with less obvious (sometimes equal, sometimes lesser) Italian components. I'm thinning the herd. Next on the chopping block is this Conti Special, most of it, anyway. It comes with everything you see here, EXCEPT the wheels, tires and freewheel. We can probably find another set of wheels from my stash, but they won't be these ones. They will also probably be tubulars.

The backstory I was given when I bought it from Chicago Craigslist about ten years ago was that the original owner picked it up on a trip to Florence in the early 80s, rode it around on that trip, then hung it in his garage when he came home. I think it's more likely to have been mid-80s. When I checked the date code on the derailleur after I bought it, I think it was ~1985. I rode it a bit as I originally bought it, then stripped most of its parts for other projects and hung it up. A couple years ago I started hanging non-Campy (but Italian) bits on it. I recently finished it off and took it out for a spin this morning.

I have a Google Photos album with many more pictures.

Frame parameters:
  • ST 60cm ctc
  • TT 58cm ctc
  • Chainstays 41cm ctc
  • ST∡ ~73-74º
  • HT∡ ~74º
  • Wheelbase 100cm
Here is what's included:
  • Galli Aero KL rear derailleur
  • Galli something-or-other front derailleur (Criterium, I think)
  • Modolo nylon "coke spoon" shift levers
  • Galli crankset (Criterium?), 52/42 rings, 170mm length
  • Galli/Maillard pista pedals with toe clips and straps (at least the dust caps read "Galli/Maillard"–I saw no other brand markings on the pedals)
  • Galli brakes
  • Modolo Corsa levers with yellow Modolo hoods
  • Cosmos Mod Confort handlebars (37cm wide)
  • Specialized stem, 85mm (as Cinelli measures stems, not Nitto)
  • Selle Royal Seta saddle
  • Simplex seatpost, 26.6mm ⌀
  • Ofmega headset
  • Unknown bottom bracket (but I can check if that's important)
  • Blackburn water bottle cage
  • Standard issue issolving Italian decals (I think Gus Salmon has replacements)
  • Paint issues, but no dents as far as I can tell
  • Two rolls of black Newbaum's cloth tape
There are no tubing labels, but given the 26.6 seatpost and its country of origin, I think Aelle would be a reasonable guess. I set the brake levers at a kind of default position (drops parallel to the top tube, tips of the brake levers lined up with the line projected by the drops). I was unhappy with the lever position, so will avoid taping the handlebars, allowing you to dial in the cockpit. (Trust me, you don't want me taping handlebars anyway). Despite the 27mm tubulars and large (even for me) toe clips, there is no toe clip overlap. The bike seems to ride well. It just isn't interesting enough to keep in the stable (and thus keep me from buying something else I'd want more). The only Campy or Cinelli bits are the Cinelli handlebar end plugs.

Reminder: The wheels shown in the picture are NOT part of the sale.

Price is $300 net to me. I will pack the bike, but you pay shipping. I'm happy to try and answer any questions you might have. If you'd like more pictures, let me know. Happy to oblige.
Old 04-23-24, 01:22 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 768 Posts
In keeping with the "Italian, but not Campagnolo" theme, I found a pair of tubular wheels in the stash with Miche hubs and Mavic Speciale Sport rims. I tossed on a Shimano MF-X012 freewheel, a pair of Spidel skewers, a couple horrible tires (at best usable as emergency spares–I don't think the rear even holds air), added a spacer to the right, and redished the rear wheel. You get these, so technically, it's now a "complete bike."