Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear derailleur adjusting, index shifting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-21, 09:29 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts

I had my Shimano RD 6600 removed and also took apart shift levers for cleaning and when I put it all together, the chain is catching onto the 3rd largest sprocket when on 4th one and sometimes it even upshift into it for a second which results in jerking chain, obviously it needs a little adjusting. The other gears seem to be OK but I didn't test ride the small sprockets yet.

Those two screws on the back of RD marked H and L (High, Low) are for adjusting the biggest and smallest sprocket so the chain doesn't go past them? Or do they cantilever the derailleur to nudge it slightly outwards when in this gear? Probably the RD needs a bit nudge outwards for all gears.

It is long time since I was adjusting these and then it was on friction shifting, so there was no such problem.

Edit, Aah, after writing this post, I realized this adjustment is done by lengthening or shortening the cable by turning that plastic adjusting thing where the cable enters the RD, in this case unscrewing since the cable it a bit too tight. It always helps to write your problem out.

Last edited by vane171; 10-02-21 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-03-21, 08:38 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. If you don't know already there are plenty of YouTube videos on derailleur setup and everything else on your bike which are a great source for doing your own work. Park Tool has some good ones but look at some others that pop up too. Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information is another great resource of articles for all things of bicycles.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 10-03-21, 09:49 AM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
On repair stand, it shifts OK and the chain looks aligned with sprockets but the practice has spoken otherwise. Even the practice required some miles of riding for this to come out. If it would be taken just for a ride around the block, it might well have passed.

The chain is ten speed on ten speed freewheel and it almost fully fills the space between sprockets. It could only help to use the still narrower 11 speed chain? But then it might not shift well for other reasons? Like not catch properly when shifting on front big chain ring?