Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Deep Snow

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Deep Snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 08:47 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Deep Snow

They called for 5"-7" of Snow today but I think the Weather person is full of it. We had that at seven A.M. Is your weather person good or not?
Old 03-15-24, 06:36 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Here in Central Colorado Springs we got about 5 to 6 inches yesterday. This morning I am looking at another 7 to 8 inches that fell overnight. There is about 18 inches on the roof of the shed, and the snow in the yard is about just under a foot, judging by the yard lamps.

I drove yesterday, as more than 4 inches of snow doubles the time of my 6 mile bike commute. The main streets were plowed and were just wet pavement on the way home.

I tried to ride a few years ago in snow this deep (9-12") and ended up walking home after a mile and a half. (My commute was 9 miles then).

I suppose if I had a fat bike with studs I could bike this, but 26x1.65 tires sink right in.

I'm hoping the snow in the streets will wear down enough to drive (or bike...?) but first I have to shovel the driveway, the sidewalk and the walkways around the house. At 62, near-daily commuting has kept me fit enough shovel without wrecking myself.
Old 03-20-24, 08:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
yes our weather person is good. sometimes tho, they talk too fast, or lead with a forecast but don't say what day they are talking about until the forecast is over & I forgot what the forecast was. I like to watch the day & time (in upper right of screen) as they play predicted radar loops. it helps me come to my own conclusions, about the exact timing, that is important to me. one local station makes screens hour-by-hour, which makes that chore easier
Old 03-21-24, 11:21 AM
C.I.

Bikes: Old Japanese Road Bikes (C-Itoh; Kabuki) with some upgrade (Italian & Japanese parts)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I think snow and ice on the road is too dangerous. Never commuted in such condition. If road clean in winter it's okay, but I did my commute in Detroit (18ml one way) only if temperature not bellow -10C. Even in this temperature I can't drink after about 10-15 min, ice blocked my plastic bottle.