Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Norco Mountain Bikes (26'ers / Pre-1999)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Norco Mountain Bikes (26'ers / Pre-1999)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-22, 06:34 PM
.Slideways.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did the late 80’s - early 90’s era of bikes have sized frames? Some of the local listings have listed bikes as small and large but the ones I have seen in person all measure 19” from crankset to the top of the seat post and feel a little cramped while riding.
Old 10-03-22, 09:19 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by .Slideways.
Did the late 80’s - early 90’s era of bikes have sized frames? Some of the local listings have listed bikes as small and large but the ones I have seen in person all measure 19” from crankset to the top of the seat post and feel a little cramped while riding.
Of course they did. However, around 19"(CTT) would probably be the most common size. During the subject era, you could get adult Norco ATBs in sizes ranging from 16.5" to 23". The increments varied from model to model, as they were dependent on the contract manufacturer used to source the model. With a little searching, you should be able to find something in the 20" to 23" range.
Old 10-03-22, 02:51 PM
.Slideways.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started comparing photos and you can really see the difference in head tube length among similar models. Will keep looking..
Old 10-04-22, 07:35 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I started comparing photos and you can really see the difference in head tube length among similar models. Will keep looking..

Judging frame size, is more than just comparing head tube lengths. There are potentail pitfalls to that method, especially with ATBs.

First, same sizes will have different head tube lengths depending on whether they have rigid or suspension forks. Designers shorten the head to compensate for the fork travel and the travel can vary, sometimes substantially, depending on the fork.

Second, once sloping top tubes became popular many manufacturers standardized on one size of head tube (the longest) and established frame size by varying the angle of the top tube. This allowed manufacturers to stock only one size of fork.

The third factor is wheel size. Most used ATBs that turn up, employ the old 26" wheel size. However, the 29ers have been around for over a decade and the 27.5" for slightly less. Both wheel sizes have triackled down to entry level models and are turning up in ever increasing numbers in used marketplaces. Of course, with larger wheel sizes, the designers compensate for a particular frame by shortening the head tube appropriately.

So, when using head tube length to judge frame size, you really have to enure that the two bicycles are compatible. For instance, if one bicycle has 26" wheels, a rigid fork and horizontal tube tube, you should only use head tube length as a sizing guideline in comparison to other bicycles using 26" wheels, rigid forks and horizontal tubes. It's fairly easy to compensate for different wheel sizes, but suspensions forks and sloping top tubes make it much more difficult to judge frame size. There are also other factors that can affect frame size, such as bottom bracket height and seat tube angle, but these have relatively minor effects in most cases.
Old 10-04-22, 10:07 AM
.Slideways.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was still referring to comparable Norco models from the late 80’s - early 90’s and searching for one slightly larger than what I have.

Old 10-04-22, 12:26 PM
.Slideways.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For those interested in old Norcos’s here are two of my current projects. A pair of (early 90’s?) Mountaineer SL’s. I think I have been spoiled by modern mountain bikes and have added 100mm to the handle bars on the purple one and experimenting with a 1x7 drivetrain on the white bike.

Old 10-06-22, 05:06 PM
Everton FC

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Rockhopper/1989 Norco Cherokee/2005 Trek 6700

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I was still referring to comparable Norco models from the late 80’s - early 90’s and searching for one slightly larger than what I have.

Your blue Mountaineer SL looks a lot like my white Cherokee above. Seems like same era. I think mine's a '91/'92 from the serial #. I think yours, and mine, would make a good touring bikes, if the components/brakes/et al were upgraded.

Last edited by Everton FC; 10-06-22 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-14-22, 02:46 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Damn!

I wasn't thinking about it until today and it is too late. Lifesport here in town is closing down and I called there asking if they still had all their old catalogues... but, no luck. He said he'd already dumpstered them a while back. Oh well. For those reading; if there is an established Canadian bike shop that is closing down in your area make sure to call them about catalogues. Who knows what Lifesport had after being around for 45 years. Perhaps it might be worthwhile to approach a still "staying in business" established shop and ask if you could scan some of their old Norco print stuff in and post it up here on BF. They might go for it.
Old 01-14-23, 08:40 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
I asked this guy whether or not he had any Norco brochures but he didn't.
Old 02-13-23, 04:45 PM
savvas

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Folks,
I'm in Australia & have just found a 1990s 19" (C-T) Norco Nitro & am trying to figure out the year & original spec. It is by no means original & it also has had a crack nicely welded up on the drive-side rear dropout.Frame is Tange Prestige. As far as I can tell the only obvious original parts are the Sugino Impel crank (& maybe the BB), the front derailleur & maybe the Tange A-Headset. But generally everything else - while middle of the road 'quality' - seems ok. It has a non-original rigid steel Merida fork.

The bike is a sparkly muted green. It has 'NITRO' stamped laterally across the BB shell & the code 'S96090131' stamped radially around the non-drive side of the shell. Does this mean it was a 1996 model? Would anyone have a spec sheet or a link to one? And would the frame have been built for a suspension fork? I have a white Z3 Bomber that I can fit that I'm hoping might suit.

I was keen to get hold of this bike for my son because I also have a Reynolds 631 Rampage that I unfortunately had repainted many years ago. It's otherwise fairly original but I miss the nice pearlescent white paint!

Any help much appreciated!
Sam.
Old 10-02-23, 06:38 PM
Skikick

Bikes: CCM, Kona, Rocky Mountain, Trek, Limongi, Solorock, GT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1997 Norco Bigfoot... seatpost size

Hi All!

Browsed through this thread as one of the few places that have info about pre 2000's Norco's.

I have a 1997 Bigfoot that I am bit stumped on for the seatpost size. Internet seems to suggest 26.8, but I am measuring close to 26 or 26.2. Does that seems reasonable? Anyone else have one, or a catalog to confirm? Wondering if it's been bent small at the top.

I can't squeeze in the 26.8 right now and the 26.2 works/clamps fine -> but has a small bit of play in the downtube (when not clamped).

Thanks!
Old 10-05-23, 12:05 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by Skikick
Hi All!

Browsed through this thread as one of the few places that have info about pre 2000's Norco's.

I have a 1997 Bigfoot that I am bit stumped on for the seatpost size. Internet seems to suggest 26.8, but I am measuring close to 26 or 26.2. Does that seems reasonable? Anyone else have one, or a catalog to confirm? Wondering if it's been bent small at the top.

I can't squeeze in the 26.8 right now and the 26.2 works/clamps fine -> but has a small bit of play in the downtube (when not clamped).

Thanks!

26.4? I've a Panasonic MC4500 that takes a 26.4 size so it is a thing,,,, if you have a dial caliper you can measure several points around the Seat tube to check if its out of round.
Old 10-05-23, 04:32 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
I was at my local bike shop\scrapper, and noticed a '93 Nitro frame in my size lying in amongst the salvage, grabbed it for free. Now it's waiting in line for a rebuild.
Old 10-09-23, 01:48 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
I was at my local bike shop\scrapper, and noticed a '93 Nitro frame in my size lying in amongst the salvage, grabbed it for free. Now it's waiting in line for a rebuild.
Sweet frames. My '94 Nitro is featured previously in this thread. It is a blast to ride and so readily and wholly takes me back to my mid 20's when life was vastly different...

Like to see a pic of yours please.