Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Building with Pre-7800 Shimano STI?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Building with Pre-7800 Shimano STI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 02:28 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by deadzone
Are you running friction or indexed DT shifters on your 7700 bikes? I have one bike with full 7700 group including the indexed DT shifters. I don't expect I'll ever run 7700 brifters, will stick to 7800s if I want brifters. The 7700 DT shifters are outstanding from shift performance point of view, but they do have obnoxiously load clicking sound.

By the way, for all you 7700 riders, what do you do for cassette replacements? Seems like you can still find new Ultegra 6500 cassettes if you look hard enough, but they are definitely in short supply.
I run them all indexed. As far as Cassettes go I have had good luck with Sram 970's.
Old 12-01-20, 02:54 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by deadzone
Yes and last I checked you could still buy the OEM 7800 hoods from Shimano for about $20 (although only a matter of time before these go away). So the availability of OEM plus after market hoods is huge advantage. There are no after market hoods or OEM hoods for 7700 and 6500 levers. Only way to get them is to pay out the nose for NOS shifters on ebay.
I tried the "Hudz" replacement hoods for my 7800 2x10 drivetrain. I had to turn down them down in order to (try to) set up the Flight Deck. I seem to have forgotten how to dial in Flight Deck and I am still struggling to get it functioning correctly. But in the mean time, I tore the Hudz hood. I spoke with my LBS mechanic and he said that Shimano's rubber formulation was better for these hoods and they would hold up to better to being flipped. I just wish there was more discussion on these forums about the proper set up of the Flight Deck wiring harnesses.
Old 12-01-20, 03:13 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Given the lack of hoods, for years, it would seem a decent process for Plastidip would be most welcome. I’ve used it on existing hoods, moderate success.
When you say "moderate success" how moderate are we talking?

I tried this once with some hoods that were in pretty bad shape. Now, granted, I'm pretty ham-fisted with a spray can. I don't think there's a sufficiently diminutive modifier to apply that would allow me to use "success" in the description of the outcome.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...od-repair.html
Old 12-01-20, 03:28 PM
deadzone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I tried the "Hudz" replacement hoods for my 7800 2x10 drivetrain. I had to turn down them down in order to (try to) set up the Flight Deck. I seem to have forgotten how to dial in Flight Deck and I am still struggling to get it functioning correctly. But in the mean time, I tore the Hudz hood. I spoke with my LBS mechanic and he said that Shimano's rubber formulation was better for these hoods and they would hold up to better to being flipped. I just wish there was more discussion on these forums about the proper set up of the Flight Deck wiring harnesses.
Flight Deck? I didn't know anybody used that anymore. I had the Campy Ergo brain many years ago, was cool novelty for a while but quickly became more trouble than its worth. I've gone the opposite way with technology, only one of my active bikes has computer on it, and I don't carry a smart phone on my rides. For most riding I don't need to know my exact speed, mileage, etc. It is irrelevant. My legs (and lungs) tell me how hard I am riding.
Old 12-01-20, 05:01 PM
Seanaus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I just wish there was more discussion on these forums about the proper set up of the Flight Deck wiring harnesses.
masi61 What do you need to know about the Flight Deck? English manual from Shimano >>>>

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...1F-000-ENG.pdf

Last edited by Seanaus; 12-01-20 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 10:06 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I don't think there's a sufficiently diminutive modifier to apply that would allow me to use "success" in the description of the outcome.
Not even a wee bit?

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-01-20 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 10:11 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
When you say "moderate success" how moderate are we talking?
2’ quality. Sealed the rip. A little lumpy. Pressed bar wrap backing over it while it was still gooey, to smooth it out.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-15-20, 06:57 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Silly question time, but I've never tinkered much with stuff this new... I just bought a nice condition 1999 Schwinn Peloton equipped with a full complement of Ultegra 6500 plus a Dura Ace 7700 rear derailleur. Pretty excited and fulfilling the dream that led me to create this thread in no time at all!

Anyway, I may want to transfer all of the components to a new frame, or at least add some fresh consumables so I know the condition of the stuff. I'm wondering if a standard set of brake and shifter cables will work fine for these STI units? Take this Jagwire set, for example... Are all of the little ends on these guys compatible with the shifters I've got now?

Thanks!

-Gregory

Old 12-15-20, 07:02 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
By the way, since "this thread needs pics" came up, I did once briefly own a beautiful Kestrel 200SCi with a nearly Full Dura Ace 7400 group set, including DT shifters... Oddly, someone had previously put a Campagnolo (C-Record?) crankset on it! Here that was... Rather wish I'd got more acquired with it, but I owned much newer carbon bikes at the time.

-Gregory

Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 12-15-20, 07:28 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Silly question time, but I've never tinkered much with stuff this new... I just bought a nice condition 1999 Schwinn Peloton equipped with a full complement of Ultegra 6500 plus a Dura Ace 7700 rear derailleur. Pretty excited and fulfilling the dream that led me to create this thread in no time at all!

Anyway, I may want to transfer all of the components to a new frame, or at least add some fresh consumables so I know the condition of the stuff. I'm wondering if a standard set of brake and shifter cables will work fine for these STI units? Take this Jagwire set, for example... Are all of the little ends on these guys compatible with the shifters I've got now?

Thanks!

-Gregory

Looks like you are good to go.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 12-15-20, 08:56 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Yes, they will ‘fit’.
However, those are pretty cheap Chinese knockoff Jagwire cables and housing. In my experience, the housing works fine but the cables are junk.
Better to use real Shimano stainless cables for both brake and shifter. They will last a decade.
Old 12-15-20, 09:56 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Yes, they will ‘fit’.
However, those are pretty cheap Chinese knockoff Jagwire cables and housing. In my experience, the housing works fine but the cables are junk.
Better to use real Shimano stainless cables for both brake and shifter. They will last a decade.
FYI...The ads that I've seen for these types of housing said that the shift housing are either 5mm or 4.5mm, not sure which is correct. Brake is listed as 5mm. Never tried these so can't confirm either. The pics show step down ferrules which indicates that it is not the usual size.
Old 12-16-20, 07:36 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
The housing is the correct size for Shimano components. Have used the brake housing for Campagnolo as well.
The step down ferrules are copies of earlier Jagwire 'POP' ferrules meant for Shimano brakes that are not sized for ferrules, so you can put one on the end of the brake cable and it still fits into the socket on the caliper.