Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Team Marin Ti Hardtail 95 - converting it to a commuter?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24, 04:22 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts

Dear Bike Forums,

I turned 40. For my midlife crisis toy, I decided to get a nice used bike and fix it up as my daily commuter.
However, I don't know that much about fancy parts. I've done some basic maintenance back at UC Davis (worked on a Schwinn collegiate, and a Marin Larkspur).

Do you have any tips on how I can convert this to a commuter?

I'm thinking of changing the grip shifters to trigger shifters (not sure what's compatible), a higher stem, and popping on Velo Orange "crazy bars".
I'd like to pop on fenders (not sure what's compatible)
I'd like to pop on a rack (not sure what's compatible).

I'd appreciate any advice on what parts to get.
I've got a cateve mounted on the front, and a rear light on the back.

Ps. I got the idea from a patient, who is a doctor in Oakland.
He got a syscip Ti frame from Craigslist Oregon, and commutes 20 miles from Alameda.
He wanted a "sleeper" bike that is not sexy or attractive to thieves.
Old 04-18-24, 06:37 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,686 Times in 830 Posts
I bought a Nishiki Blazer 26" MTB to use as a commuter in 1997.

The first mod I did was to put a bigger big chain ring up front to give me higher gears for faster cruising. Yours may not need that. I borrowed my brother's 90's Gary Fisher MTB and it had sufficiently high gearing, but still had knobby tires.

Getting big, smooth tires would be my second suggestion, if you are to be riding on streets more than trails. I also put studded, treaded tires on it in the winter (Suomi Nokian W106's)

The rest is up to you, but I also suggest For commuting in traffic,

lights, reflective tape, a mirror and and AirZound Airhorn.

Here's my Blazer, today:
Old 04-18-24, 09:01 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Posting detailed pics would help.

Since fenders and a rack are desired, have a look at the rear dropouts. If they have threaded eyelets, then most full coverage fenders should work without extra fuss. If they don't, then you may need to get more creative. The best solution for eyelet-less dropouts would be to attach an Old Man Mountain rack to the bike, and bolt the fender stays to the rack.

Looks like a '95 Team Marin could be threaded or threadless, you will need to either get the same type of stem, swap the fork and headset to use the other type, or use an adapter to put a threadless stem on a threaded fork.

If the bike has a suspension fork, consider whether or not it needs servicing, or needs replacement. Rigid forks are lighter weight and maintenance free, but suspension could be worth it if your commute has enough potholes.
Old 04-19-24, 05:01 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 261 Posts
How flashy is the Team Marin frame? I'd want something that blends and is pretty common, minimal value, and easily replaceable if it was permanently borrowed.

I'd consider a modern carbon or steel fork (lighter and still solid ride), add some 2.xx" easy rolling tires (Gravel King SK is popular), and Ergon grips, bars of your choice (Velo Orange has multiple options that look nice), SKS or Velo Orange fenders, and there are many rack options. You might consider a modern drivetrain - 1x10 is all the rage using Shimano Deore or XT parts. I like 2x with smaller jumps between gears. I have an old Cannondale MTB that will get built in a similar way.

If you don't go with the Marin, a solid choice is a Trek Multitrack, especially 730/750 for full CrMo frame - 700C tires, great ride, pretty easy to find, and nothing fancy. My commuter/city runner is located here along with other great builds - https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...itrack-43.html

Last edited by Trav1s; 04-19-24 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-19-24, 09:53 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 219 Posts
You might get more help in the Mechanics subforum: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-19-24, 10:52 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked 2,645 Times in 1,243 Posts
Picture would be nice. What drivetrain is on there now?